Format: DVDChange

on 25 December 2011
If you're reading this review, then you probably do know Adele's music. If you love the songs from 21 and 19, her albums, then you shouldn't hesitate to buy the DVD. What I love about Adele is that you get someone who sings from the heart, and who puts everything into her performances.

This DVD gives you a nice insight into who Adele is. She strikes me as someone who is as surprised as anyone would be to suddenly be a superstar, having had a very ordinairy upbringing (although by definition upbringings are all extraordinairy because they're all unique). A number of reviews have commented on the language, which is OTT at times, but that is who she is. It just comes out naturally. It's a bit of a surprise, but in todays world is hard to avoid. I recommend you just laugh. I don't think it's intended to offend, it's intended to be funny. It made me smile at times, and wince at other times.

"Someone Like You" turned Adele from a pop star into a superstar, and the version on this DVD is special and in my view worth the price of the pack on its own.

The performance is superb. What I love about Adele is the fact she can REALLY sing. The are many contemporary artists who are successful because of how they look. But can they sing?? Or is it the computers that make them sound good? With Adele, it is the voice first and foremost. She has her own beauty, and I prefer her beauty to the plastic pretenders any day. But her success is because of the voice, and the genuinely moving songs. I won't dwell on other individual songs, as you'll have your own favourites, and they're proably on the set. You won't be disappointed.

Don't hesitate to buy this if you like Adele's music. It won't disappoint musically, but be prepared for some "surprises" in the spoken links. Its Adele in the raw, and mostly a bit of fun.
33 comments78 of 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 November 2011
I've no shame in admitting that I was moved to tears by this performance on the night. Adele is indeed a phenomenal live vocalist and the Albert Hall suited her beautifully. Will be interesting to see what they edit out from the very funny interludes from Adele herself! This is a bargain purchase at the price.
22 comments37 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 December 2011
This a very good music DVD. Adele has a fantastic voice and can use it even when there are some problems. She creates an atmosphere that can only be compared with Bruce Springsteen. When you think she cannot lift the concert up to another level this is exactly was she does and creates a great finale when both Adele and the audience are crying together over lost love. There is no question that there are real emotions behind the words she sings. The sound quality is good, BUT NO DTS! Picture quality is poor, editing is fair. The production could have been a lot better. In the end though put all that aside, it is a must buy. If you are not moved by the way she sings, and how she sings Someone Like You, you are not alive.
21 is probably my favourite CD of the past couple of years; I play it whenever I am out and about in the car. Thus I purchased this blu-ray disk with very high expectations of an excellent concert and I wasn't let down.

Adele has a hauntingly beautiful voice and to hear her sing live during this concert was a real treat. She didn't need any gimmicks or voice syncing - every single song she was note and pitch perfect.

She sang a wide selection of songs from both of her albums, 19 and 21 and it was fantastic to hear her talk about her inspiration behind many of the songs. I've always loved 'turning tables' but I had never really thought about what the phrase meant until she explained how she came up with the idea.

What I really loved was to witness the emotion that Adele so genuinely feels when she sings her songs. These really are songs from her heart and you can just see the depth of emotion on her face and hear it in her voice. I defy anyone not to be moved to tears by her performance of 'someone like you'.

I have never heard Adele talk before; I guess I have always missed her interviews on TV. I was surprised at just how funny and down-to-earth she is as a person and I can imagine she is a real hoot to be around. On the flip side I was a little taken aback by her language. I'm not a prude by any means but I do think there is a time and a place for bad language. Some of the things she came out with just didn't feel quite right when there was a mixed audience containing youngsters. It also seemed completely out of place in a setting as prestigious as the Royal Albert Hall.

Overall, this was a wonderful concert; Adele sang to perfection and I thoroughly enjoyed watching every minute of it. I'm so glad I purchased the blu-ray as it means I can look at it again in the near future.

However, if you are planning to watch this with young children please be aware that there is a lot of language during the speeches that is unsuitable for them.
on 18 January 2012
Adele's "21" Album gets plenty of airtime in our household, being one of the few CDs that my wife, my 6-yr old daughter and I all like. I was, therefore, chuffed to bits to get the "Adele - Live at The Royal Albert Hall" DVD for Christmas (indeed if I'd known about the actual event I'd have tried to buy us tickets). I was, however, far less chuffed to hear the fairly incessant swearing by Adele between the tracks, which I felt didn't do credit to either the venue, nor Adele's singing / songwriting ability. This also means that I will not let my daughter watch the DVD, nor take her to any future Adele concerts - which is a great shame. I do hope Adele continues to write and sing such incredible songs, continues to give live performances, but learns to moderate her language to really become a class act.
33 comments29 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2012
Really enjoyed this performance. Like others have said, the video quality is not the best for an HD transfer and was the only thing that spoilt an otherwise great viewing experience. The DTS-HD Master soundtrack is great if the have the supporting equipment to decode it. Having said this the people who produced the Blu ray disc and cover need to catch a wake up as the back cover only states that it has a Dolby digital soundtrack which it does not have. It makes no mention that it had a DTS-HD Master track. Bad oversight to sound geeks like me.

A must buy!!!
on 18 January 2012
Adele in concert at the Royal Albert Hall, what can I say other than it was amazing.People have criticised her for swearing but I think that part of this is probably down to nerves. If you don't like it then don't watch it, simple as that. I will certainly watch my DVD again and again.This concert has made me realise that I must make the effort to go and see her next time she performs with or without swearing,i don't care. She is so talented and judging by her performance will be around for a long time.
on 27 November 2011
I got it yesterday as a gift. Was so happy as it is two days before the official premiere. It looks some retailers in Poland could not wait until Monday. Thank you. I knew it was going to be good. But it is much better than good. The dvd is amazing. It was late at night when I wanted to see "just the beginning, maybe one or two songs". I ended up watching it all. True artist, true music, true lyrics. CD has made my Sunday morning. Sound quality and mastering putting Adele's voice as the main instrument is brilliant. Hope to see you Adele live one day. Definitely worth buying. Enjoy!
on 26 February 2012
Perfectly amazing! Adele at the Royal Albert hall on Blu-ray is a truly amazing viewing experience. Only thing better would have been to be there instead! Great sound and production of a true British star, long may she continue.
on 1 January 2012
This dvd+cd was a perfect and much appreciated Christmas gift, as usual Amazon delivered it timely and well packaged.

Adele is so talented that this dvd is a must have if you love intense performances and beautiful voices. Besides, the woman is so funny that I enjoyed the entertaining parts as much as the music. I wish she had left out a couple of tunes from 21 in favour of more ones from the 19 album, which was so amazingly fresh and jazzy. The Royal Albert Hall would have been such a great stage for some more of those atmospheres. Nice extras.