5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent, clear, practical guide to Javascript and jQuery
I like David Sawyer McFarland's teaching style; he goes to the trouble of briefly re-explaining things wherever that helps and is on a mission to have you learn, rather than be impressed with how much he knows. I have seen this book (actually, in a review of what is effectively an earlier edition, then entitled simply 'Javascript') criticised for moving fairly swiftly on...
Published on 11 Jun 2012 by G. D. Kendall

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as confusing as many other books on the subject!
I'm still not quite getting Javascript, but at least this book is not as confusing as many others.
Published 3 months ago by kaffesoester

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 29 Jan 2013
Buddha Baker (West Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I have many years of development experience behind me. Although I have not finished reading it, this book takes you through from simple tasks with lots of practical exercises through to more complex tasks. So far enjoying the read and the exercises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 Dec 2012
Have to say, this book is absolutely fantastic. if you have some existing html & css knowledge and are looking to grasp an understanding of jquery this book is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a treasure, 11 Dec 2012
This book teaches javascript and Jquery very well. Not only I do prefer Jquery over Prototype now, I also can see how the whole javascript trends goes in favour of this fantastic library.

More to the point, the Author is really pushing the boundaries to make the tutorial easy to read, not too technical or lengthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 19 Nov 2012
Great book. Must dive back into it though!
Emphasis is on jQuery, though you the reader, receive a tutorial on Javascript fundamentals for first 1/4 of the book which I found helpful & will now have to read over again.
I really rate the 'Missing Manuals' series, well written & easyto follow; having worked through the CSS one from front to back, which also gives a *brief* intro into CSS3 at the end of the book.

Fantastic book & an essential one, for any aspiring designer of web pages. No 'one foot in' with this book, just open it, start reading/note-taking & do the tutorials, even if they're showing something you know already or feel is dull/irrelevant.

Thumbs up from me.

(Delivered to me whilst in Korea too, only took a week!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction for beginners, 4 Oct 2012
I am just starting to use JavaScript and JQuery, and needed a book to introduce me to the basics. This book is well written with lots of clear examples and tutorials that you can follow. I would recommended this book to anyone wanting to learn the basics of Javascript and JQuery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for learning that little bit more., 20 Aug 2012
Andrew Murphy "APM" (England) - See all my reviews
I had followed some on-line JavaScript tutorials and was now looking to learn a bit more and also to have a book to which I could turn for reference. I found this book to be ideal. It quickly covers the JavaScript elements before moving quite quickly onto the jQuery stuff. The tutorials are very detailed and can be worked through with confidence and it's also useful if you need to look up something about which you're a bit uncertain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for Beginners, 11 Jun 2012
This book is amazing for people who do not have a clue about JavaScript and/or jQuery. I was not taught it at university but this book has great step-by-step help and I received the book in prestige condition and on time. It's a great value for money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as confusing as many other books on the subject!, 15 Aug 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Recomended book for beginers, 10 Mar 2012
I really liked this book and helped me to understand Javascript and Jquery, I totally recommend it. I follows the structure of the missing manual series and it's helpful when you want to remember something, even though it's not as easy to search in it as I'd desire.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starter book, 12 Jan 2012
Well written but starts off with a basic introduction to JavaScript. I have been using JavaScript for many years so for me this was wasted space. After that the examples are well written and the book is easy to read.

JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual