5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new voice in YA...
Published on 4 Nov 2011 by M. C. Symonds

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK story.
An interesting idea but unfortunately became a little predictable and did not encourage me to read more of this series even though the story ended in a cliff-hanger !!
Published 12 months ago by Taff

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new voice in YA..., 4 Nov 2011
This review is from: Open Minds (Book One of the Mindjack Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
Wow - just when I was getting a little bored of YA a book like this comes along and just woes me back! What I loved was that at first I thought I was reading a typical story of a teen girl who discovers she has extra-ordinary powers, and while that is the starting point the story then moves rapidly changing direction and leaving me twisting in the gale like a wind chime.

When we first meet Kira, she is a zero - someone who neither projects her thoughts or receives others and is rapidly passing the age when she should have changed. And in this brand new world where everyone can read each other's thoughts, this means she is isolated and without a future. This world building and what that means for family, technology and society might feel a little slow paced at first but it does ground you in the world and helps to connect to Kira so that when events start to move I was already on her side. Kira is feisty and has a strong moral core but at the same time the isolation she felts at being a zero means she is desperate to fit in.

There are a number of supporting characters which help and hinder Kira - all of which feel complex and full rounded personalities. I loved Raf who was so fiery and sweet without any ulterior motive - I'd love to have a Raf in my life! There are a few occasions though when I didn't agree with Kira decisions, but I could completely understand why she made them. The second half of the story moves rapidly with some truly shocking turns that continually surprised me. I was so annoyed when my station arrived as I didn't want to get off the train!

The writing is easy to fall into and flowing allowing quick immersion in this fascinating world. I was holding my breathe right up until the last page. I was drawn into the story and characters and I'm now desperate to know what impact Kira's actions will have on her world and how she manages to adapt.

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK story., 30 Jun 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Mind games, 15 Jun 2014
An unusual story of mind blowing connections with the young Kira stumbling to gain control of her thoughts before they are taken by others - would agree with the title that the reader should keep an open mind as the complexities to the story need more than one book to be explained

4.0 out of 5 stars Great YA sci-fi!, 14 Jun 2014
Open Minds by Susan Kaye Quinn is the first in an imaginative and gripping sci-fi trilogy set in a world where almost everyone is a mind-reader. As one of a handful of people unaffected by a chemical imbalance in the water, Kira is known as a zero, and is distrusted by most people. But one day, when Raf, her only friend, tries to kiss her, she accidentally does something to his mind and nearly kills him. Another student, Simon, tells her that she’s capable of ‘jacking’ someone’s mind and taking over, an ability he shares. She’s unwillingly drawn into a lie, forced to manipulate the minds of those around her to convince them she is normal. But when Simon introduces her to an entire network of people with abilities like hers, that’s when things get dangerous.

I love the concept of the mind-jackers, and the idea of a society in which everyone is always open to everyone else’s thoughts is a fascinating one. The world-building is great and I really liked the futuristic elements as well as the echoes of the world we live in today. Kira gains our sympathy from the outset, a girl who just wants to fit in, but is forced to make some difficult choices once she learns that she has a rare ability. The combination of paranormal and sci-fi elements makes for a fast-paced and entertaining read. This is a very well-written novel with a great concept, and one I’d highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Concept Is good and believable, I enjoyed this title and will be looking to read the other two., 24 April 2014
Good and believable scenarios, nicely fleshed out people, birdies being believably bad, superpowers stretching in a believable way.
I thoroughly enjoyed this first of the trilogy and I'm looking forward to the second and third.
Susan K Quinn is a clever writer and I suspect will only get better the more she writes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 21 April 2014
Mrs. Sally P. Stackhouse (kent, england) - See all my reviews
Sixteen-year-old Kira Moore is a zero, someone who can't read thoughts or be read by others. Zeros are outcasts who can't be trusted.

Her friend Raf is a regular mind reader who she secretly loves. Kira has been waiting and waiting to be able to read thoughts, always told she was a late developer but at 16 years old though things in school are becoming tougher and tougher as she is shunned by all her peers.

She accidently controls Raf’s mind nearly killing him in the process and realises her ability is totally different to what she has been brought up to believe is the way to behave and act.

The book is written in the first person, it is fast paced with many twists and turns drawing us in with Kira’s choices, understanding why she makes some decisions and why some are mistakes.

This is the first in a trilogy and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the book as futuristic YA is not my usual genre of reading.

It was recommended by someone whose opinion I trust and when I looked it up I realised it had been sitting patiently waiting on my Kindle for me to read it for just over a year. My apologies to Susan for waiting so long to read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars good start, 19 April 2014
the beginning of this book is very intresting and really catches your attention which makes it easy to read however i fealt that by the end the story was slightly slacking. but i would recommend this book as it was a good read, a very good price and you love the characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok..., 13 April 2014
I found this for free and I enjoyed exploring the new dystopian world that Susan created. The idea of mind control and talking through minds intrigued me and although I enjoyed that aspect, I couldn't feel myself getting involved with the characters. I didn't mind which boy she chose in the love circle and I found myself having to go over in my head some of the secondary characters because I had gotten them confused. The main character was an interesting mind to be in but I didn't agree with some of the choices she made which made it evener harder for me to relate to her. I am glad that I read the book but I don't think I will continue to read the rest of the trilogy. Happy reading :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Morally Bankrupt, 11 April 2014
Daniel Hall - See all my reviews
** Mild Spoilers **

The main character, Kira, seems to immediately grasp the ethical minefield her new abilities raise, spending the first few chapters bemoaning the need to even lie to her friends and family. She rightly judges Simon to be dangerous and pushy, uncomfortable with his mood swings, manipulation and apparent lack of morals. He revels in his ability to control others, using it to play with people, steal (as in a sports car), and even wants Kira to force two people to start making out (the fact that he was lobbying for sexual assault is one of the few things that strangely doesn't upset Kira). Yet within a couple of conversations, and even while thinking how much she doesn't trust him (or particularly like him or his 'crew'), Kira decides they should be boyfriend and girlfriend, further twisting the knife into the person she actually seems to love.

I got pretty disgusted with this novel early on, and didn't manage to get further than a third in before giving it up as too annoying to finish. In some ways I hope it turned out that Simon was actually influencing Kira into the trail of ridiculous decisions she makes, but that twist still wouldn't make this a good book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars open minds, 23 Mar 2014
This book is amazing! The author created a world that describes the problems of humanity all the while keeping the reader interested. The book is about a girl called Kira white lives in a future world. In her world humanity has evolved due to a chemical in the water. Everyone, once they reach around their teenage years, can now read each others minds.
But Kira is different. She is a teenage girl who does not have this ability yet. She thinks she is a zero, someone who is invisible to the rest of the world because she can't read minds. She soon discovers this is not true and we are taken on a journey of love, loss, hatred, denial and above all, determination. We learn about the inequalities in Kira's world that reflect back onto our own.
This book is brilliantly written and will keep you turning the page all day and night