on 30 July 2014
I bought mine about a year and a half ago after yet another failed Christmas cake, and soon discovered it was an indispensable bit of kitchen equipment. We love fish and this helps me to cook it to exactly the right temperature without drying it out. Also good for testing cakes, poultry, boiling sugar etc. I couldn't be without one now.

This was a gift for somebody else who is a keen cook and they are equally as delighted. I will be buying another one soon for another gift.

PS. Also used it to convince poorly husband that the medical thermometer was accurate and he really did not have a raging fever.
33 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 November 2014
Excellent. No more guessing, no more burned chicken and no more apologies at hospital after you've poisoned half the street.

Read up on this across the web, the pros rave about them. I accidentally threw out a handy temperature guide that comes with the thermapen. I called the manufacturer ETI and the asking how much for a new one with postage and she couldn't have been more helpful. Was sent first class with a recipe pamphlet to my door the next morning.

Excellent and friendly service from a british company. Will definitely be buying from you again. Thank you.
VINE VOICEon 7 July 2014
This is my favourite bit of cookery kit in a long time. The unit is robust and easy to use.

The temperature sensor is quick and very sensitive. I did have an electric food thermometer, but it took forever to warm up and measure the temperature accurately. This is a massive improvement.

I have used it for testing meat on a barbeque - this was terrific because I could be satisfied that the meat was completely safe to eat but I didn't have to dry it out to be in the safe side.

I also used it for testing the coolness of ice-cream mixture before freezing it, for checking that fish was cooked through and for boiling sugar to a specific temperature. It was perfect for all three.

It comes with a useful instruction guide with a table of necessary temperatures to be sure specific foods are safe - very handy.

Now I have this, I am not sure how I managed to cook anything properly before.
The Amir Thermometer is a kitchen thermometer that is used to test the temperature of meats, jams and confectionery etc.

The Amir Digital Thermometer is designed in bright red plastic with a stainless steel metal probe. The design of the thermometer is a modern curved shape with the probe folding securely up close to the underneath of the case. When folded the Thermometer measures 15cm (5.90") in length x 4cm (1.57") in width. This device is small and neat and can easily be carried in a pocket or hand. On the front of the thermometer is a LED window which is of a good size and can be easily read.

The temperature can be taken in Celsius or Fahrenheit and will take temperatures from as high as 300 centigrade (572 Fahrenheit) right down to -50 centigrade (-58 Fahrenheit).

FEATURES INCLUDE
Fast readings in four to seven seconds
12 month warranty
Automatic shut off after ten minutes
Water and steam proof

This Thermometer takes a single AAA battery which is NOT included.

I have used this thermometer to test the temperature when making jam and the jam came out very nice indeed at just the right thickness. I have also used the thermometer for checking the temperature when cooking meat joints, the probe reaches the centre of most joints of meat and I have found the temperature to be accurate.

This thermometer has many uses, in fact my husband 'borrowed' my Amir thermometer to check the temperature of his Koi carp pond ... Whatever next.

Please note: I was kindly sent this product to test and to give my honest opinion in the form of a review.
on 4 February 2016
Poor quality product. Arrived faulty, and needed a part swapping around before it would even turn on! (the auto off mechanism had been installed back to front I think). Battery compartment is slightly too big for AAA batteries and so often turns off when the battery moves around. It feels cheap and delicate, and I don't expect it to last long. With other thermometers on Amazon offering the same features at half the price, I was hoping for more.

On the plus side, it now works correctly and seems to be quite accurate, and does take around 5-7 seconds to reach temperature.
on 30 October 2015
Does what its supposed to. Quality seems good. When you've finished using it, swing the metal probe right into the body of the unit until it clicks otherwise it doesn't turn off.
on 13 January 2016
Arrived quickly and in good condition.
Works well and the display is clear and easy to read.
The probe cleans with a wipe and the thermometer is comfortable to hold and use. I would recommend the seller and the product.

March 2016.
I have reduced the one star because the thermometer has completely failed and now does not work at all. Anyway, good while it lasted!
I can no longer recommend it.
on 21 February 2016
This is a very easy to use food thermometer, it takes 1 x AAA battery which is supplied and already inside, before use the battery cover needs to be removed and the plastic tab pulled out to allow the battery to connect. Its then switched on using the red On/Off button and the probe is inserted into the food right into the centre to get the correct reading, pressing the hold button before removing from the food will store the reading this is good if you want to use it on a item whilst it’s still in the oven and may not be able to see the display.

You can switch between readings in Fahrenheit and Celsius using the blue button.

It will automatically switch itself off when the probe is closed back up against the unit.

On the front of the thermometer is a table with correct food temperatures for quick reference and there is also a table on the back of the box that it comes in.

Everyone should have one of these in their kitchen!
on 2 November 2015
I purchased this a while ago in preparation for preserving but have only just attempted to use it. Unfortunately despite trying three different batteries the device will not switch on. I am very disappointed to discover that I am out of time to return this item and am very annoyed that the time restriction on returning faulty items was not displayed prior to purchase.
After seeing my initial negative review the company emailed me saying they were arranging a full refund for what was obviously a faulty thermometer. Am so impressed I have ordered a thermometer for my daughter!
on 7 January 2016
I find cooking a Turkey very hit and miss. The difference between under and over cooking can be just a few minutes so being at Home this Christmas and faced with a whole filleted Turkey Breast which was quite expensive we decided on the need to get it exactly right and using this food thermometer was the answer although in the event it was cooked a few degrees below the 79oC recommended - 75oC in fact. At that temperature, a small amount of clear water was observed when inserting the probe so out of the oven and to the stand for 5 minutes. It really was perfect and the recommended temperatures were probably for a whole bird with legs and wings.

Given the price of meat it seems prudent to make this modest investment in a food thermometer and I'm very pleased I did. The next cook up will be a large fore rib of beef and this is really expensive for a large one. yes, we are very pleased with this purchase, thank you.