Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

Stompee Balance Bike 2-6yrs Black
Price:£54.00+£6.00shipping

on 1 October 2012
I did a lot of research to choose a bike for our 3 year old's birthday. Had been really set on getting a Kiddimoto Sheene or Swantz replica, but I felt that it didn't offer the flexibility for a growing child or a brake, so found that a Stompee fitted the bill.
Have waited to see how he has got on with it ahead of writing a review.
Ahead of him having this, he had a Neox Racer (single front wheel version) from Toys R Us, which is a `self balancing' bike by virtue of having wide flat plastic wheels. This was great as taught him to `paddle' with his legs to get along. Can recommend this to start with from 2 years old onwards.
First of all, the Stompee is the matt black one and looks really amazing, a really cool little bike. Really impressed with the spec by having a brake as well. The movement of this is nice and light and within easy reach of toddler sized hands.
I set the seat height the same as his Neox bike, and this worked really well. He had his feet up and balancing within a few minutes of his first ride and is doing this everywhere. He has had it for a few days, and tends to use a mix of his feet and brake to come to a stop. I'm sure he will learn to apply the brake properly in time. The bike is also nice and light and he has had no problems with this at all.
A few small gripes. Elsewhere, you may have read about the `seat post screw issue'. To clarify this, the problem is the fact that the two nuts supplied (one for a screw on the seatpost, and another for the screw for the handle bar stem/column to frame) is not a through nut, it is blind. This means that the screw can only tighten so far before bottoming out on the inside of the nut. So this could result in whatever you're tightening up, not fully tightening. With our bike, we were supplied a new `through' nut for the seat post as part of the contents, but not the handle bar stem/column. So I found that I couldn't get the tightness I wanted here, so phoned Stompee and one was sent out straight away.
The other gripe was that the instructions are a bit on the light side! Just a few more pictures would have been nice for the assembly of the handle bars to the frame.
Don't let the above put you off in anyway at all, this is a high spec and really cool bike, and superb value for money. Your child will be the envy of their friends on one of these!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 September 2014
My son loves this bike. It was for his second birthday but sadly he has been unable to reach to floor until now 2yrs 6months, he is tall for his age. He has enjoyed walking around with it pretending he can ride, now he can sit and reach the floor it took two small walks before he got the hang of balancing and now no stopping him. Saddle is comfortable as my daughter had a wooden balance bike and never got on with the sadle but she says this one is much better than hers was! Very cool looking for a boys bike, we and our son are very pleased
on 9 January 2014
Bought this for my 4 year old for Xmas, as his previous balance bike had fallen apart, this bike is easy to assemble and great build quality. Just what I was looking for!
on 3 January 2014
This has been bought to replace a Christmas present that I bought in September and unfortunatlelyit was too small this one is great
on 16 December 2014
Absolutely terrible product - bolts don't fit, steering is loose beyond belief - took it to a local bike shop for advice and they laughed at it's awful build. I would not trust your child on this bike. REALLY awful customer service too !
on 1 May 2014
I am going to start by saying I am a keen mountain biker and think this little bike is great.
My 18month son loves to point out cyclist in the car and helping me tinker with my bikes, so we thought it was time to do some research into balance bikes. As you have probably read after a balance bike you will more than likely never have to use stabilisers. The bike is very well made and is alot better than other bikes i have seen especially for the price. i like the fact that it has decent enough v brake so they shouldn't scrub too many shoes later on.

Some of the other reviewers said that the instructions are not the best, they are clear enough, some bikes were supplied with the wrong bolts and the customer service wasn't great when trying to rectify the issue.

I had to phone them because there were two parts missing so I can comment on customer service. Because of this I can safly say the customer service was excelent, first off i thought oh no here we go i cant get through on the phone but on second or third try I managed to get hold of them. They were very apologetic and sent out the parts first class that day with no quibles. Its a shame and a little dissapointing but it wasn't a bad or troublesome experience at all.

The only other small thing is that the seat tube end was a little rough although nicely rounded. knowing my son he is a fiddler just like me so I used my dremel to soften the edge a little further. It was not sharp enough to cut but enough to drag on your finger so I am being fussy. There is a plastic tube that fits over the end and covers it but it looks a little naff, needless to say after about thirty seconds the tube was pulled off and a little finger inserted into the post.

The setup took about 20 mins, the hardest part for me was to fit the forks without any play in the headset. With a few attempts i was happy. I checked over all the nuts and bolts that were factory fitted and they were all good.

My son is a little small for the bike as he can only just tip toe, so with a little time he will be unassisted but saying that he is getting plenty of enjoyment wearing his helmet around the house fiddling with the wheels and break.

We are very happy with our purchase and would recommend highly.
on 14 January 2014
A brilliant birthday present for my little boy, this is teaching him balance and control. This has been used a lot since his birthday at the end of December.
on 13 July 2014
We LOVE this bike. My 3 year old fell in love with it the minute he saw it and has been in the garden with it ever since. I really like it because it feels very sturdy and looks pretty cool - the mountain bike feel means when I lean it up in the garage next to my mountain bike my boy thinks its "just like Daddies". We haven't really got to grips with the brake but we're working up to that but I like the fact my boy will be able to get used to controlling his speed with something other than his shoes and shutting his eyes.

I found it straight forward to put together just from the picture on the front but agree with other posters that the instructions aren't great. I didn't have the problem with the seat stem and it came together quickly and simply.

We asked around some of the recent parents we know and everyone agreed balance bikes are much better for learning to ride and whilst I have no experience (this is my first child I'm teaching to ride) as a cyclist instinctively I feel this is better than stabilisers.

Very pleased with my purchase - all came very quickly with no fuss - e-mail on the day it was being delivered.
on 10 January 2014
This looks as good as the picture. Really love it and think its great value. It arrived very quickly and we r thrilled with it.
on 12 November 2014
Real nice looking matt black bike. Instructions for putting it together were not the clearest, and additional tools are required that are not supplied (spanner). Fortunately I had an adjustable spanner that could do the job.
6 yr old son loves it (just turned 6), but it is definitely on the small side and he is not a large child - he is generally shorter than his younger friends at school.

The seat is raised to its highest position and he still ends up standing off the seat when pushing himself along and the seat is higher than the handle bars (which do not raise), and balancing is not east when he now has such a high centre of gravity.

So I would not recommend this for 6 year olds, but it would be great for 2-4 years I would think.