5.0 out of 5 stars The Newsroom
Published 23 months ago by G. Archer

3.0 out of 5 stars Simultaneously both good and bad
I think my view of "The Newsroom" is chequered by having already watched "The West Wing", which is one of my all-time favourite TV shows. If you are in that position with me, be prepared to both love and loathe "The Newsroom".

Published 16 months ago by Mr. T. F. Norton

5.0 out of 5 stars The Newsroom, 7 Sep 2012
G. Archer (Bangor, NI) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Newsroom - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Every so often American TV comes up with an absolute stunner - 2012 has "The Newsroom" currently showing on Sky Atlantic. Created and written by Aaron Sorkin of West Wing fame, The Newsroom is set in the fictional Atlantis Cable News station. With Jeff Daniels playing Will McAvoy,anchor and managing editor of ACN's Newsnight programme, Emily Mortimer as Mackenzie McHale, his Executive Producer, and a very strong ensemble cast,the viewer sees the behind the scenes events prior to and after each evening broadcast. Each episode has been set around a major event in recent history e.g. Deepwater Horizon oil spill or the killing of Osama Bin Laden, and is intertwined with the personal stories, backgrounds and viewpoints of the Newsnight team.
Aaron Sorkin has created a first class drama with excellent scripts which are superbly delivered - Will McAvoy's monologue in the first episode gives an insight into the strength of writing and performance which The Newsroom, and Will in particular, showcase week in and week out. Each individual is extremely competent at their job and there is a strong team ethos with thought provoking analysis, highs and lows, humour and integrity. Problems and politics with the owners of the station, ably led by Jane Fonda, bubble along in the background and add to the events and day to day pressures.
I would strongly recommend The Newsroom and am delighted to note that it has been picked up for a second season, if I'd more than 5* available to award I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best series I've watched in a long time..., 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Newsroom - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
It is rare nowadays that I manage to make it through a series - whether from the UK or the US - I usually get bored by second or third episode. However, The Newsroom is different!

From the very first scene showing Will McAvoy's very public breakdown to the last scene of the last episode, I was gripped by the series. I can't wait for the DVD to come out and am rather surprised that wasn't available for release the day after the last episode. I am so looking forward to watching it all again.

This will be in my grubby mitts as soon as it's out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make room for this show, 7 Aug 2012
Mr. N. J. Todman "mr_todtastic" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Newsroom - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
The newsroom is everything fans of the West Wing have been waiting for. Sorkin is back to his very best. The characters are quirky, lovable, and entwined. The dialogue is joyfully over elaborate. The plots deal with not only real issues in the news but with the values underlying the production of it. Like the West Wing, it is another window on the concerns of liberal America and the tensions which threaten to tear the Union apart. Sorkin was criticised by some in the media that this isn't a very realistic portrayal of life in a newsroom. His response was to say, "Who cares? This is meant to be entertainment". And as that, it is a five star show.

3.0 out of 5 stars Simultaneously both good and bad, 21 Mar 2013
Mr. T. F. Norton (Maidstone, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Newsroom - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)

First of all, "The West Wing" was my first real introduction to Aaron Sorkin's work. Therefore, at the time his manner of writing was fresh and new to me. "The Newsroom" suffers the misfortune of having a predecessor to be compared with. It is instantly recognisable as a Sorkin piece:

* Should I repeat a statement to make it seem more important? Should I repeat a statement to make it seem more important?

* The main protagonist has father issues, a la Jed Bartlet. He's also very intelligent and had a brilliant career as a lawyer prior to his being an anchorman, a la Jed Bartlet. Oh and he defends his staff to the bitter end as if they were his family, a la Jed Bartlet.

* You have not one but three versions of the Josh/Donna relationship occurring concurrently. And two of them feel like very contrived situations. If you like being endlessly spun a yarn, then you're in the clear.

* The Josh Lyman foot-in-mouth moments are duplicated here aplenty.

There are many other examples I could list, but you get the idea. If anything, "The Newsroom" exposes Sorkin as a bit of a (brilliant) one-trick pony. This is the same formula, with the same heart, humour and passion as its older brother. A Sork-com, if you will.

Politically, if you're right-leaning you'll probably disapprove of the left-ish tendencies on offer. On the other hand, if you're left-leaning (and I am), you may get tired with being preached to, *incessently*. TWW occassionally got on its high horse, but "The Newsroom" suffers this problem on a much larger scale. This is a shame because the fundamentals of what was being said are perfectly valid. But I've never felt so spoon-fed, and this is quite ironic given the whole point of the show is to depict a news broadcast that doesn't dress up current affairs in over-the-top language shoved down your throat. Sorkin tries to address separating TWW from this by constantly dropping in "I'm a Republican" quotes from Will McAvoy (the main character), as if saying those words makes it true. In true Arnold Vinick style, McAvoy is Sorkin's dream Republican, which is a Democrat who is just a bit more fiscally sensible.

All of this makes "The Newsroom" sound really very bad. Maybe I should redress this issue. It is a long way from bad. I certainly got enough out of it to watch all 10 episodes (and I'll probably pick up season 2 when it is broadcast). The writing is quite sharp, the actors do an excellent job with the material they're given, and I applaud the spirit of the show, if perhaps not the result. I think if I had never watched TWW previously, I wouldn't have one of the greatest TV shows to beat "The Newsroom" over the head with. This is a poor man's version, and there's no escaping that. On the other hand, if you have never seen either you'll probably love the show in the same way I loved TWW when I first saw that.

Overall, a watchable if slightly disappointing show.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY ME!, 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Newsroom - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This show is a must to watch, buy and just overall fall in love with. The episodes are both character driven as well as informitive, entertaining and gripping. PLEASE buy this box set you honestly will not regret it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A long fall from the West Wing, 20 Feb 2014
Stephen B. Peddie (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Newsroom - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
The West Wing's greatness is not the story but the superb character development and scintillating dialogue. If you're expecting to find more of the Aaron Sorkin stardust in The Newsroom you are going to be sorely disappointed. The problem might in part be the delivery, with several of the lead characters frankly not up to the task of delivering a conversation a real person might recognise as such; sadly including the female lead Emily Mortimer - not that she's the worst offender, step forward the excruciating Alison Pill. Jeff Daniels as the anchor is first-class and beyond reproach but one performance cannot compensate for so many frustrating failures by others.

Script or acting? One or both are poor but for sure the net result is something closer to an episode of Friends than West Wing. Yes the stories are reasonable but six episodes in I was following them with gritted teeth.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... as I did with other series such as Breaking Bad, Broadwalk Empire and House of Cards etc and ..., 18 July 2014
Frank Roberts "Hobo" (Bournemouth England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Newsroom - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I heard about this series from the reviews I read on Amazon so I thought I'd give it a try as I did with other series such as Breaking Bad, Broadwalk Empire and House of Cards etc and was pleasantly surprised with this gripping story of a TV newsroom staff on the job and in their personal lives . I will eventually get the second series to see how things develope

5.0 out of 5 stars Release date, 18 Feb 2013
Tony Laforce (Hackney, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Newsroom - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
11 June 2013 is when this wonderful series by the great Aaron Sorkin will be released in America. This is a wonderful series, but the first price of over 30 looks very steep. I hope close on the release date that the price will be cut by 50%. I understand that Sky Atlantic may re-show the series in May 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars oh what a show !!!!!!, 18 July 2012
This review is from: The Newsroom - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
aaron sorkin does it again, 1st west wing now newsroom. this show is great. great cast !, great acting!, great scrips!, great directing! . i just can't get enough, lets get it on bluray, fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
Great series!

The Newsroom - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
The Newsroom - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] by Jeff Daniels (DVD - 2013)
16.38