5.0 out of 5 stars should be seen by all
excellent thoughtful and moving doc . Watched this over christmas and felt very humble . Not always easy to watch at times , but then why should it be . it is so easy to forget and take life for granted.
Published on 5 Jan 2012 by cartoon

3.0 out of 5 stars We Were Here
If you judge the film on its subject matter, it merits five stars. Judged simply as a film, 3 stars. A few talking heads (no matter how genuine; how touching their reminiscences are) and some archive clips simply don't make a great film. There is probably a great film to be made around the epidemic but I don't believe this is it.
Published 16 months ago by Mike McLean

5.0 out of 5 stars should be seen by all, 5 Jan 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars HUMBLED, 26 Dec 2011
Mr. C. Mcintosh (Reading, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Were Here [DVD] (DVD)
So much exists around the outbreak of the AIDS crisis, but nothing as humbling or powerful as this documentary. I found myself incredibly moved by it and thankful for these brave people. Don't hesitate to watch this true heritage.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must see, 3 Feb 2012
Vincent Creelan "Vincebelfast" (Newtownards N Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Were Here [DVD] (DVD)
I know what I think I know about early gay liberation, the development of gay culture and community in NYC and SF and the crises that was AIDS; but this made me think again.This is a remarkable and must see story of a time, made all the more real by the commentary throughout of individuals who were there, lived it, responded to the shocking changes in their personal lives and community, and made a huge difference in their own way which carries on to this day as a testament to their courage and integrity. As a gay man , closely involved with my own Lgb@t community in N Ireland, I found myself deeply struck by the feeling that at that time 70's-80's and beyond, when liberation and freedom was being achieved, this shocking ravaging of a generation of brave, talented people living life to the full must have been absolutely bewhildering. Yet out of devestating tragedy, and loss grew networks, support and a sense of community I wish we had today. There were heroes, some of them who lost their battle, but they are not forgotten, for a while yet. This is a must see for everyone, an unforgettable film which is as much uplifting as it is deeply sorrowful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving stuff, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: We Were Here [DVD] (DVD)
A very well made documentary film, which is thought provoking as well as often deeply moving and features some incredible people. Not always easy to watch but compelling viewing nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packing a powerful pnch, 1 Jun 2012
M. H. E. Driessen (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Were Here [DVD] (DVD)
Being a closeted teenager in the 80's the theme of Aids and the impact it has had on a human level on the gay community has always been something that I knew from magazine articles and movies. This documentary shows the real human aspect of the whole epidemic. Although it uses the concept of talking heads a bit too much, the truthful personal emotional stories hit you like a ton of bricks (or more accurately 5 tons). It doesn't go around blaming people or pointng the finger at the Reagan administration. It just shows what happens when all of a sudden your friends start dying. It also shows how people can rise above themselves once they face a real challenge, and in that respect it is not only depresing but also an uplifting movie. A strong lesson in human history that no person (gay, straight, bi or whatever) should miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must, for juniors & seniors, 11 May 2012
This review is from: We Were Here [DVD] (DVD)
My partner and I both have appreciated the way this DVD has been put together. Most of what the DVD brings wasn't new to us, both being 49 and 50 years old. But it is a good thing to be reminded how much impact AIDS has had on our lives. And had forever changed other lives. I'd say a must see for the young ones and less younger ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving Documentary, 23 April 2012
D. Daskalakis "Dimitri's Desk" (Melbourne AUSTRALIA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Were Here [DVD] (DVD)
A documentary which focuses on the story HIV/AIDS from the events before it became an epidemic in San Francisco (pre 1981) right through to medical breakthroughs in the 1990s and today. Seen through the eyes of those who saw and witnessed tragedy at first hand, this is a moving documentary that highlights how the SanFrancisco community banded together and how HIV/AIDS changed their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Are Here, 17 Feb 2012
This review is from: We Were Here [DVD] (DVD)
David Weismann's stunning documentary is a beautiful, raw and intelligent look at the pandemic effects of HIV/AIDS on San Francisco. The city is easily the sixth character here and provides the backdrop to a great many stories of human courage, resourcefulness, blind persistance and love. Far from just being a "gay" film, WE WERE HERE celebrates the spirit of all sorts of communities the world over. I could have spent hours in the company of the interviewees and wish them nothing but thanks and respect for sharing their stories and darkest hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: We Were Here [DVD] (DVD)
The watching of this documentary should be compulsory!

I implore you all to watch this film, that talks to the people who were right in the centre of the AIDS epidemic. Almost unbearable in its power, it really is tough to realise that this wasn't so long ago. AIDS claimed over 15,000 in San Francisco alone.

You feel humbled when you watch it, hearing how the gay community pulled together so tightly in the face of such tragedy. It is not an easy watch, in times, and nor should it be. But it is not just a tale of a terrible thing, but also a look at a group of people ostracised from society formed their own bonds, and took care of their own when their own needed them the most.

It's not a tear jerker; it is way more powerful than that.

Please watch it

5.0 out of 5 stars a moving reminder, 6 July 2014
schumann_bg - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: We Were Here [DVD] (DVD)
We Were Here reminds us of how terrible the Aids epidemic was, focusing on San Francisco where over 15,000 people had died of it by the mid-nineties. But the world moves on and fairly quickly it is no longer talked about in the media, and other world catastrophes fill that space. Here five people talk movingly about their experience of those decades, and you are struck by their courage and love, and by the horror of what the disease did to people. It does not go too much down the political path, emphasising more the solidarity in terms of caring for the sick (the politics and slowness of government response is covered more in the documentary about the activist Vito Russo). This film provides a very moving testimony and restores your faith in humanity, as the response from within the gay community was almost unprecedented in its kindness.

We Were Here [DVD]
We Were Here [DVD] by Bill Weber (DVD - 2011)
4.99