5.0 out of 5 stars So good they gave up and nicked something else
As per title, I've used this lock for a couple of years without issue. Not written a review previously as 'nobody has pinched it, yet' doesn't make for much of a read.

Well, someone tried to steal it. They cut the lesser lock looped through this and around my wheels. They tried to cut my Kryptonite New York and succeeded in doing nothing more than some cosmetic...
Published 10 months ago by Alex Green

1.0 out of 5 stars Strong lock, but unreliable
I have no doubt that this is one of the strongest locks on the market available today. A thief would have to be a seriously dedicated scumbag to get through this. However, one major flaw in it has caused me to have my bike stolen. For a month I have been using this lock to lock my bike up at work without problem. However one day, I went to turn the key so I could unlock...
Published 1 month ago by Andy Duxon

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 16 April 2013
Fernando C. Machado (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kryptonite New York std NYL lock with FlexFrame bracket (3000)] (Sports)
My bicycle is still mine, so that's probably a good sign. I don't carry it with me on the bicycle, so can't say anything in regards to the controvertial brace that comes with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars has a bit of weight but very secure, 5 April 2013
I bought this for my new bike. I'm over paranoid about security when leaving my bike, as had a bike stolen as a kid.
I use this and cables and feel very secure.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thick D lock, poor bracket and mounting mechanism, 26 May 2013
TotallydubbedHD (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
UPDATE: 09/06/13:
I'm dropping this to 3/5 stars, simply because the mounting bracket has broken into pieces.
As I came to tighten it, on my Cannondale SL2 29er - the screw bit on the lock just broke apart (it was loose on my frame so I had to tighten it)
I don't find that acceptable, as now I'm forced to carry the lock on my handlebars (unless I have a bag to put it in)
I'm baffled to think they created a great, sturdy lock with such a HORRIBLE bracket and mount. Disappointed in that respect.

My old review which received 4/5 is below (around 2 weeks old from the above mentioned):

The D lock is huge, and extremely heavy too. I can't comment on bike theft just yet, as I've not had any thieves cut it or attempt to steal my bike.
However, I can be certain that this lock will take considerable amount of time with a hack saw, or even an angle grinder. Security wise, I'm quite happy with this lock. I'm also re-assured, after a friend, who knows a few bike thieves, told him that they walk past bikes with the "yellow or orange locks" - This lock, thus might deter thieves from trying to steal it. Do remember though, if there is a will, there is always a way. A professional thief can always break any type of lock, but the size of it, and its difficulty, just grants you extra time. If your bike is rally worth a lot of money, it shouldn't be left out in the public, or in a secured location.

Now for the bracket - as others mentioned, it is quite weak and also quite troublesome.
The D lock does stay in place, when riding, and the bracket is securely tightened to my frame, however removing the D lock from the bracket is extremely hard. It frustrates me at times, as I literally have to bash the lock with considerable amount of force, in order to get it out of its mount.
I wish more time was spent designing this.

Apart from that, the lock seems very good.
I have also registered it, with my bike on the Kryptonite website - giving me additional insurance, in case it is broken.
Overall a solid 4/5. It loses one point for not having a better bracket.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great lock, rubbish bracket., 9 Nov 2012
This is one of the best locks that money can buy! It is very strong (unfortunately that means it is very heavy, but that is how it goes, the better a lock is, the heavier) and you will not need to worry when you need to lock your bike somewhere.

The reason why I do not give it 5 stars is the bracket that comes with it. Honestly, it could not be worst! I had to spent almost 20 extra because of that. I attached it on my bike and it broke after a few weeks. I made the mistake to buy a same one and same thing happened.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great lock but the mount ruins it, 23 July 2013
Length:: 0:21 Mins

The lock itself is great, a good solid choice and you'd need a powertool to get through it so it is worth buying as a lock

You get 3 keys with it and one of them has an LED light on it which is pretty good, although it has oddly shaped large keys and the LED key is no use for me because of it's size

The mount is honestly as bad as they say in other reviews, it is in effect a fabric belt with a single screw (which could easily damage your bike frame if you over tighten)

Even with the bracket tightened the lock moves around and is not secure on the frame (realistically how can you expect to secure metal in place with fabric? lol)

I did wonder if the mount was as bad as they say but after fitting it I have to agree 100% that it is useless and for me has totally ruined peoples opinion on a great lock

In short I like the lock & hate the mount (it's binned already), install one and you'll see what I mean

If I hadn't used the mount I would have given this 5 stars as it is a great lock but as the supplied mount is so bad I can only give 3 in my opinion (if I'd written this after installing the mount it would have been 1 ! lol)

I also added a short video of how I found best to use the mount :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Pashley thieves - fahgeddaboudit!, 25 Feb 2013
I bought this as the NY mini wouldn't go near my bulky Pashley bike.
Even this one struggles, and won't go through both the wheel and frame as recommended on London bike safety blogs.
But a bike shop guy told me that getting the rear wheel off a Pashley is such a palaver that I needn't worry about locking it as long as I have the D lock securely through the frame.
I also bought one of the thicker kryptoflex cables, which I loop through the front wheel and the lovely leather saddle.
This combination broadcasts a deterrent to thieves and also keeps the heavy bike upright which has the double bonus that it is less likely to fall over and get scraped, be trashed just for kicks, OR be made to lie down to enable determined thieves to get at the D lock from a better angle.

It is a bloody heavy lock, as well as costing more than some of my previous bikes did, but I can do the whole process in a couple of minutes now. I generally stick both locks into a pannier bag, but if I forget and fill my bag too much before unlocking the bike, rather than unpacking to make space, I usually sling the lock over the handlebar where it hangs securely and doesn't move about much due to the weight.
I prefer this to attaching it to the back rack as I worry it will go flying off on a bend.
It does have a device to attach it to the bike frame, but I didn't want to use it as it looked fiddly and would ruin the pretty curved line of my bike!

Easy to use, comes with three keys, one of which has a light.
Has a little slidey keyhole cover which I guess stops rain going in which could maybe lead to rust one day.
Don't bother about all the fancy guarantees if you are in the UK as they only work in America. Even without these it is a secure lock, and a bike thief actually told me himself that he would move past a bike with one of these yellow beasts on it and look for an easier target. Not to say that is can't be broken, ALL locks can be, but I think you would need some proper effort and power tools to get through these.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very substantial lock - The bracket is terrible, 19 May 2013
Lock chosen on recommendation of a colleague – my last bike was nicked from the railway station which left me a ‘bit miffed’ to say the least.

The lock is very substantial in looks, feel and particularly weight. The bracket is absolute pants as it’s too bulky to fit on to my frame (my new bike is a Carrera Vengeance) without interfering with the rear brake/gear cables.

I have resorted to the tried and tested method of bungeeing it to the frame. Not ideal but it saves having to carry a holdall with you all the time. I agree with a previous post – design a bracket that usilises the water bottle holder points already fitted to most new bikes.

It would have got 4 stars apart from this glaringly obvious design fault!

4.0 out of 5 stars Substantial lock indeed!, 7 Jan 2014
joemac75 (Wexford, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I won't go into the technical details as they have been covered elsewhere, but I will say this appears to be an extremely solid lock, suitable to secure your expensive bicycle.

Pros:
16mm hardened steel, with disc locking mech
3 steel keys, one with LED light
heavy - 2kg

Cons:
the FlexFrame-U mount is absolute junk, and is not fit for purpose to support such a heavy lock.
heavy - I have given up carrying this lock in my backpack and just leave it in situ at work.

One look at this lock should be enough to deter the average scumbag thief.
Just be sure to lock it securely i.e. through frame & back wheel attached to a suitable rack.
A cable extension for the front wheel would also be a good idea, shame this wasn't included with the u-lock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very solid lock, 8 Oct 2013
It is very heavy but then it would have to be to do the job it does.
Of course if you have panniers this won't matter too much. As others have stated, no lock will prevent someone with a portable angle grinder taking your bike away. However this lock will not make it easy for them. They need to cut both sides to remove it and they are going to need around 5-10 minutes of uninterrupted time to do that.
I would recommend combining it with an alarmed lock with a siren that will draw attention to the potential thief and his deeds. He isn't going to be able to hack away at this without causing the siren to go off on the lock with the vibration detection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 16 July 2013
Fantastic piece of kit . Be aware it`s very heavy. But to dissuade thieves ideal as they just look and move on