5.0 out of 5 stars So good they gave up and nicked something else
As per title, I've used this lock for a couple of years without issue. Not written a review previously as 'nobody has pinched it, yet' doesn't make for much of a read.

Published 8 months ago by Alex Green

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes the bracket is rubbish
I agree with previous reviewers that this is a good solid lock. So far my bike hasn't been stolen and I live in a very high bike theft area.

But the bracket is absolute rubbish. The instructions are incomprehensible too. As an engineer I was quiet embarrassed that I had to ring up the Kryptonite service desk so that one of their technical people could talk me...
Published 17 months ago by markimus

5.0 out of 5 stars So good they gave up and nicked something else, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Kryptonite New York std NYL lock with FlexFrame bracket (3000)] (Sports)

Well, someone tried to steal it. They cut the lesser lock looped through this and around my wheels. They tried to cut my Kryptonite New York and succeeded in doing nothing more than some cosmetic damage.

They gave up and stole someone else's bike instead.

Moral of the story? Buy Kryptonite if you want to keep your bike or don't like your neighbour.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good secure lock, 31 Jan 2013
Very well made and extremely secure. Its heavy for a reason. The picture someone has posted here showing a cut lock with the title "cut in seconds" is absolute scaremongering.If a thief is going to get through this lock in a reasonable amount of time he will need an angle grinder, in which case nothing you can use will protect your bike from theft.

Kindest regards

5.0 out of 5 stars Bike Lock worked Great - Customer Service from Tredz is world class!, 26 Mar 2014
SO, I rarely leave reviews for anything but:

a) The Bike lock is good, solid, I did need to buy a different holder for it after seeing all the other notices on here, but I have been using it since Jan 2013 and the bike feels safe with it. Yes it's very heavey but of course it is. However, no-one to my knowledge has even tried to tamper with it while I have had it.

b) MOST IMPORTANTLY For some strange reason, when I went to use the lock the other day to lock my bike up, the lock did not unlock, the key did not engage in the lock somehow so I could not separate the lock. Rendering it useless - luckily my bike wasn't locked to anything at the time! I pre sue this is a rare mechanical fault. I emailed Kryptonite customer services as it had been over a year since the purchase. I heard nothing back for 3 days and still haven't. THEN I called Tredz. I got a very friendly helpful person who said the lock is still covered by warranty and to send it back to them (they cover postage) and they will have it fixed or replaced. He was kind, helpful, courteous and the process seems very simple and straight forward.

When trying to buy stuff on Amazon you can spend ages comparing items, postage and packing etc, but rarely do you get to consider follow up care and customer service. Thank god I bought from Tredz because now this 55 lock will be replaced with the least hassle and I'm pretty sure that that wouldn't be happening now if I had bought from many other sellers.

I would suggest you go with these people and having looked on their actual company website (to find the contact details) I would consider buying more from them in the future and directly.

Good customer service is important and in this case it is saving me money and hassle.

All the best, fellow cyclists. And thank you Tredz

Felix

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy, 19 Sep 2013
What can I say about this lock? Well I still have a bike . . . . I now also have a hernia from carrying it in a rucksack. As previous reviewers have mentioned the bracket it is supplied with is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. However I knew this was the case before buying and I was prepared for carrying it the 8 miles to work and back each day. I knew it would be heavy but seriously? It also doubles up as a sweet kosh that you can use to bust the head of any would be scally caught in the act of attempted pilfering. (Obviously only if they are on your own property, If they are not still hit them but be prepared to drag them back until you are).

I live in a nice area but there have been 5 bikes stolen in the last 2 months. Mine is the most expensive bike and has remained untouched. This lock is that good, Actually it's too good as the accusing looks I now receive would testify to, alas I do not care they should have spent the extra money and bought a decent lock. Don't make the same mistake as my neighbours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kryptonite lock, 4 Nov 2012
Strong and solid lock.
Loud Rattle when riding.
Key with light good addition.
Difficult to assemble lock mount on bike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice lock, shame about the bracket, 2 Jun 2014
I. Bavington (UK) - See all my reviews
Reading the reviews criticising the bracket I was in two minds about buying this lock. On the one hand were all the reviews saying this was one of the best locks on the market (if not THE best) and on the other were the people saying it had the worst bracket. It didn't help that you can't examine the bracket in a shop because it is completely hidden by the packaging. I eventually decided to buy the lock and if the bracket was as bad as people were saying attach it to the bike with bungee cords or something.

As for the lock itself, I haven't taken an angle grinder to it so I have to take on trust that it is as good as the reviews say. All I can report is that it is pretty substantial and my bike hasn't been stolen yet.

Returning to the bracket, I was agreeably surprised that it was not as flimsy as some reviewers have suggested. Possibly it has been upgraded. I would hesitate to call it good but it appears at first sight to be adequate.

That is more than can be said of the instructions. As has already been pointed out, these consist of a single piece of paper. The pictures are so small you can't tell what is being illustrated and the text seems to have been written by someone whose first language is not English, which is odd because Kryptonite is an American company. I can only marvel at the fact that someone with such an inability to communicate should get a job writing instruction leaflets. I have never before seen such a simple procedure described so incomprehensibly. Fortunately, it isn't rocket science and it fairly obvious how the bits fit together when you look at them. The instructions can therefore be safely consigned to the bin.

The bracket consist of two blocks. The inner block attaches to the bicycle and the lock clips to the outer block. The two blocks are connected by a screw around which they rotate so the lock can be mounted in any orientation.

The inner block is attached to the bike by a nylon strap, which is connected to a buckle-like plate. Between the strap and whichever part of the bike you are attaching it to there is a thin rubber shim to stop it sliding. The strap threads through a slot in the shim at each end but the rubber is so flimsy I doubt that will keep them together for long. I can only hope that friction alone will do the job.

The strap is attached to the plate at one end, wraps round the bike and threads through a slot on the opposite side of the plate. The inner block is then stuffed over the top of the plate. The only thing holding the strap tight is the friction of the block being held over the plate. It seems secure enough for now but time will tell.

The inner block is then placed in position and the screw passed through both blocks to a threaded hole in the plate. Only once the screw is in place is everything held in position. This means that if you want to adjust the bracket's position or orientation you have to take everything apart again. Without doing this there is no way to loosen the strap on the bike. This can be irritating if, like me, you need to experiment with different positions. On the bright side, you only have to install the bracket once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 26 Feb 2014
I use this lock on my bike along with the kryptoflex cable 7ft.
Its great, ye its a good weight but not too heavy plus the bracket is really good, as long as you put it on tight enough (i did struggle at first) then it is realy secure and makes carrying the lock around really easy and no effort - dont know why everyone else is complaining about the bracket being useless. Got three keys with it and registered them and the lock for FREE (dont know why some one else said it cost them a tenner). Great lock, very happy customer :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong and Heavy...worth the money!!!, 10 Feb 2014
It's an heavy lock, very well built and does the job perfectly!Bit challenging to attach it to the frame but definatly
I would raccomend this lock!

4.0 out of 5 stars The lock is great a touch heavy though, 25 July 2014
The lock is great a touch heavy though. The mounting system is crap though i rode down some stairs and the strap that holds the lock on stretched or slipped so now it moves around all over the place. I must admit it was a rather long set of stairs and i didn't expect it to last. Its also almost imposible to mount anywhere but i think this is a general problem. I had to take my drink holder out to put it in the middle of the frame. I also bought one of the orange series 4 ones for my girlfriend. I think i like that one better as it is lighter, the key has an extra keyway(harder to pick) on it and the key itself is more streamlined so it fits better with my other keys and the lock is also a lot cheaper. The key mechanism is slightly harder to operate on the orange one though. On both of them you have to make sure the key is seated all the way down before you turn it. The orange one is also slightly longer which makes it easier to lock around the frame and back wheel. I also bought one of the orange mini series one with the cable and its pretty nasty. I would have returned it for the orange series 4 one but the return shipping price was half the cost of the lock. My advice get the krytonite evolution series 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up for the job, 27 Jan 2014
Quality lock thats up to the job for the streets of London. Yes it's heavy but that's the compromise for decent theft prevention.