Learn more Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 20 September 2014
I decided to buy 2 of these for our new mountain bikes because I had heard a lot of positive things about the product from my brother in law who is a mountain bike enthusiast.

Given that top quality ones can range from £50-£100 I didn't expect that much from the product given the low price tag however when I removed them from the packing it was evident that they were made of high quality material that's fit for purpose.

They are reasonably easy to apply and to take off but do take several minutes to do so which is common with any lock of this design. We have used them a considerable amount of times in areas that you would not choose to leave your bikes but we haven't had them stolen although certain thieves have tried which was evident with the knife punctures in both tyres.

I recently went shopping to a 'high end' specialised bike store with my brother in law and he showed me the £50-£100 locks that were available. Yes they were very high quality but even the £100 ones were not that much better than this product.

I have now been using the product for a considerable amount of time and have not experienced any problems with it. It has performed the desired task to an exceptionally high standard and I would therefore highly recommend it.

Feedback:
If you wish to provide feedback on this review then please follow the link below.

Thanks
on 16 January 2015
They almost managed to steal my bike with this lock. I guess they spent some time trying to cut it out when somebody stopped them or they simply just gave up. Attached some photos with it now. I will definitely buy it again !
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 August 2012
Pros

- The company will refund the cost of the bike (up to £800) if you register your lock and your bike with them on their website if your bike is stolen.
- Lock feels substantial and will certainly deter the opportunist thief.
- Solid cable, which ensures more complete protection for the bike, allowing you to tie in the front wheel too.
- Affordable - well-priced for the protection it offers.

Cons

- Lock/cable is fairly heavy to carry around.
- Key lock can be a bit fiddly to operate: I worry a little that in the future this could lead to difficulties with being able to unlock it but it will probably be fine!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this lock on a recommendation from The Wirecutter group test. My previous bike lock was a combination+cable lock. I only found out how rubbish it was when my bike got stolen. So, for my new bike, I wanted to be sure of getting the best lock.

Frankly, if it wasn't for the recommendation, I would never have looked at a D-Lock like this, since I had assumed they were too heavy to carry around. What I didn't realise is that it comes with a handy adapter that allows you to mount the lock to your bike frame when not in use. This works very well for me - it holds the lock very securely. No wobble, no rattle, and you really don't notice it's there until you need it.

Some reviewers on this page have said they found the adapter impossible to fit. I must admit that I struggled at first, because I am a man and I don't like to read instructions. When I eventually did read the instructions, it all became clear, and I had the adapter fitted in under 5 minutes (it's a plastic mount attached to a nylon tether; you loop the tether through the mount, and tighten an allen nut to secure the tether. The secret is to push down the plastic against the frame as firmly as possible so that the nut engages - then it's easy).

Also, there are 2 keys included (just in case you lose one). I'd recommend storing the spare one somewhere safe!

The only quibble I have is with the 'insurance'. The fine print is so full of exclusions that it's basically worthless. If you do a little Googling, you'll find numerous stories of the company not paying out in the event of theft. But search a little further, and you'll see videos of just how much noise and effort it takes to get through this lock - rest assured that *nobody* is going to cut this lock without attracting a *lot* of attention.
on 9 August 2013
I used this lock to take my mountain bike all over the place, and I have evidence that it does the job.

My bag got stolen, which had my bike locks keys in it. Due to this, my bike was locked up in a dodgy part of town, and I had no way of retrieving my bike other than cutting it lose.

Tools we used: Fireman bolt cutters, handsaw, a van, a saw.

All of those failed. The bolt cutters left about an impressive mark on it as a toddler would if it chewed it. The handsaw did nothing, the van did nothing, the saw did nothing.

In the end we had to use a mains powered angle grinder and a diamond level saw disk, even then it took a good 15 minutes and the diamond level saw disk was in complete tatters, and had to be thrown away.

Not bad for £20. Although the difficulty was with the MAIN LOCK. The extra CABLE came off pretty easily.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 July 2014
I just want to add:
* Mounting was quite simple and appears to be solid; see attached picture.
* Cable is long enough to go through front wheel and back to the U-lock on the rear wheel

So far I am really happy :)
review image
What is it?
------------
A Kryptonite D-Lock and a short cable flex to lock up your bike,

What's good about it?
------------------
* Incredibly Sturdy: The D-Link lock is remarkably sturdy, and it should protect your bike from all but the most persistent thief. I note from another reviewer, it took 15 minutes cutting with a diamond tipped angle grinder to open (they'd had the keys stolen).
* Pretty solid cable: The addition of the cable is a great asset which means you can loop round a wheel. Be aware, some thieves will steal a quick release wheel on an expensive bike
* Includes Insurance: Kryptonite will refund up to £800 if your bike is stolen (but see the "cons" below for the small print)
* Great Price: Lets face it - if you've spent ££££ on a bike - it's worth spending the extra to ensure it's not stolen

What's not so good?
--------------------------
* Mounting is a pain: I eventually gave up trying to attach the D-Lock to the bike, and now I simply carry it in a back-pack. In my view the plastic housing which is fixed to your bike, and enables you to clip the D-lock to it to carry around is INCREDIBLY BADLY DESIGNED.
* It's heavy. OK - so this is a good and a bad thing. Good because it adds strength. But think of carrying an additional two bags of sugar around with you. (1.6Kg). Hence I carry it in a back-pack
* Cable is short: The research advises placing a cable to include your front and rear wheel, and this is just too short. It does however add an additional feature - which included in the price is good. Personally I also bought an additional extra long cable, and I carry the long or short one depending whether I can be bothered to carry the weight
* Insurance potentially worthless: OK, so first you have to register your purchase with Kryptonite and that gives you 12 months cover. After that you need to pay them £10 a year to continue cover. Worth the bother? Hardly think so. You'd be better off looking for bike insurance.

Update: June 2015. Comments from another customer (Many thanks Hobsie):-

I imagine the cable seems to short because you're trying to loop it completely around the bike.

Loop the cable through your front wheel and bike frame, and insert one end through the small loop on the other end and pull. This creates a small loop around the front wheel and frame. Take the loose end and hook through the d lock on the remaining small loop. Attach the D-lock to your back wheel and frame to a secure location.

Now both your wheels are locked to your frame and the cable was plenty long enough to reach both ends.

Conclusion
--------------
Yes. If you want to ensure your bike's there when you get back it's worth the investment. It is heavy, but it's also incredibly strong and should stop (or deter) most opportunistic thieves. Just be aware, you'll need either lots of patience or a back-pack to carry the lock with you. The "Lock Mount" (to hold the lock to the bike when you're cycling around), is just annoyingly difficult to fit.

Recommended, but not highly recommended,
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 31 January 2015
I agree with some of the issues other buyers have reported with this lock:

1. The key is fiddly and sections of the lock internals do get 'out of line' so that full insertion is difficult. But to be fair many lock mechanisms of this kind have the same issue and I expect it will improve as it wears. Adding some light oil to the mechanism helps.

2. The mounting bracket is not particularly useful as it is a bit bulky and it requires the lock to be slid into place. On many bikes the available room within the triangle of the frame to allow mounting and sliding the lock in and out is limited, especially when other items such as pump clamps, front mech clamps and cable runs already obstruct the tubing. I found, therefore, that it was useless so will carry the lock in a bag.

It isn't so heavy as some people have suggested bearing in mind it is actually intended to resist attack with tools. The cable is a useful length and handy to have. It is quite a small lock, though, so you will be limited as to what you can pass it round - bike racks and railings, and thin poles will be fine but forget about lamp-posts and the like. I can't comment on how effective a lock it is as remarks such as 'it looks substantial' are pretty meaningless unless actually tested in anger but it has to be better than a simple cable lock (you might as well tie your bike up with string) and for the price I thought that this package was very good value for money if you don't mind the minor irritations.
on 20 December 2013
not even superman can take my bike now. I've always known superman one day may turn bad and when that day comes if he wants a bike ride it won't be on my bike haha
on 29 January 2015
The cable is a good length, the lock is easy to use.
The problem was the lock failed to open after 3 uses. When i say 'failed to open' i mean there was no sign of tampering and the key turned normally.
I snipped the cable fairly easily with a cheap pair of cable cutters - little more than pliers really (so be warned!), that cut it off the tree so i could put it in the back of the car. The wheel was locked to the frame with the U-lock, so when it home and cut the U lock off with an angle grinder.
There is one thing a lock absolutely MUST do, and that is unlock when you use the key. All other considerations are secondary. Frankly if my bike had been stolen (its not an expensive bike) it would have been less hassle.