4.0 out of 5 stars Solid so far!
Pros

- The company will refund the cost of the bike (up to £800) if you register your lock and your bike with them on their website if your bike is stolen.
- Lock feels substantial and will certainly deter the opportunist thief.
- Solid cable, which ensures more complete protection for the bike, allowing you to tie in the front wheel too.
-...
Published on 26 Aug. 2012 by M. Fermor

3.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy lock, fiddly key.
Good price
Lock itself seems rock solid if heavy.
Decent Cable if on the shorter side.
Mounting the lock is a pain.
10£ a year to register the lock, a bit of a hidden cost.

Published 7 months ago by Kris

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid so far!, 26 Aug. 2012
M. Fermor - See all my reviews
Pros

- Lock feels substantial and will certainly deter the opportunist thief.
- Affordable - well-priced for the protection it offers.

Cons

- Lock/cable is fairly heavy to carry around.
- Key lock can be a bit fiddly to operate: I worry a little that in the future this could lead to difficulties with being able to unlock it but it will probably be fine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 9 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Kryptonite Bike Lock & Flex Cable (Sports)
I used this lock to take my mountain bike all over the place, and I have evidence that it does the job.

My bag got stolen, which had my bike locks keys in it. Due to this, my bike was locked up in a dodgy part of town, and I had no way of retrieving my bike other than cutting it lose.

Tools we used: Fireman bolt cutters, handsaw, a van, a saw.

All of those failed. The bolt cutters left about an impressive mark on it as a toddler would if it chewed it. The handsaw did nothing, the van did nothing, the saw did nothing.

In the end we had to use a mains powered angle grinder and a diamond level saw disk, even then it took a good 15 minutes and the diamond level saw disk was in complete tatters, and had to be thrown away.

Not bad for £20. Although the difficulty was with the MAIN LOCK. The extra CABLE came off pretty easily.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, strong and secure (but heavy). Good but flawed, 19 Jan. 2014
John Ryan "One man and his Kat" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
What is it?
------------
A Kryptonite D-Lock and a short cable flex to lock up your bike,

What's good about it?
------------------
* Incredibly Sturdy: The D-Link lock is remarkably sturdy, and it should protect your bike from all but the most persistent thief. I note from another reviewer, it took 15 minutes cutting with a diamond tipped angle grinder to open (they'd had the keys stolen).
* Pretty solid cable: The addition of the cable is a great asset which means you can loop round a wheel. Be aware, some thieves will steal a quick release wheel on an expensive bike
* Includes Insurance: Kryptonite will refund up to £800 if your bike is stolen (but see the "cons" below for the small print)
* Great Price: Lets face it - if you've spent ££££ on a bike - it's worth spending the extra to ensure it's not stolen

What's not so good?
--------------------------
* Mounting is a pain: I eventually gave up trying to attach the D-Lock to the bike, and now I simply carry it in a back-pack. In my view the plastic housing which is fixed to your bike, and enables you to clip the D-lock to it to carry around is INCREDIBLY BADLY DESIGNED.
* It's heavy. OK - so this is a good and a bad thing. Good because it adds strength. But think of carrying an additional two bags of sugar around with you. (1.6Kg). Hence I carry it in a back-pack
* Cable is short: The research advises placing a cable to include your front and rear wheel, and this is just too short. It does however add an additional feature - which included in the price is good. Personally I also bought an additional extra long cable, and I carry the long or short one depending whether I can be bothered to carry the weight
* Insurance potentially worthless: OK, so first you have to register your purchase with Kryptonite and that gives you 12 months cover. After that you need to pay them £10 a year to continue cover. Worth the bother? Hardly think so. You'd be better off looking for bike insurance.

Conclusion
--------------
Yes. If you want to ensure your bike's there when you get back it's worth the investment. It is heavy, but it's also incredibly strong and should stop (or deter) most opportunistic thieves. Just be aware, you'll need either lots of patience or a back-pack to carry the lock with you. The "Lock Mount" (to hold the lock to the bike when you're cycling around), is just annoyingly difficult to fit.

Recommended, but not highly recommended,

5.0 out of 5 stars superman proof, 20 Dec. 2013
Mr. A. W. Tomkin "steven smith" (bolton, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kryptonite Bike Lock & Flex Cable (Sports)
not even superman can take my bike now. I've always known superman one day may turn bad and when that day comes if he wants a bike ride it won't be on my bike haha

3.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy lock, fiddly key., 19 Aug. 2014
Good price
Lock itself seems rock solid if heavy.
Decent Cable if on the shorter side.
Mounting the lock is a pain.
10£ a year to register the lock, a bit of a hidden cost.

Very fiddly key. Stood in the rain drenched for 10 minutes trying to get the key to open the lock, then went home. Its this part of riding the bike that I dont quite look forward to.

1.0 out of 5 stars I would not recommend this!, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Kryptonite Bike Lock & Flex Cable (Sports)
I thought it would be useful to write a review, having purchased this around 5 months ago and used it regularly.

This lock has become more and more stiff with use, and it has now got to the point where every time I lock my bike up I wonder if I'll be able to unlock it ever again. My friends and I all have this lock, as it is a very popular one, and the same thing has happened to them. It seemed fine for the first few months of usage but now when I put the key in, I can turn it to about half way and then it jams, and I really have to jiggle it around (more and more every time, and very vigourously) to actually get the lock undone. Sometimes I can be there for a good 5 minutes trying to get it undone, to the point where I almost give up and walk home! Several of my friends have had to buy new locks because of this problem and I will also be buying a new one.

I am not sure if this has happened due to something we have done to it, but I always cover the keyhole up and I have also tried oiling it, neither of which have seemed to prevent this from happening. This is a shame because the lock looks great and it is very sturdy with a lot of promise.

I hope that this will be helpful to bear in mind, even if you do still decide to buy it. All I'm saying is that I know a lot of people that the same thing has happened to, which doesn't seem like a coincidence.

4.0 out of 5 stars The lock is medium sized and hefty. The D ..., 23 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Kryptonite Bike Lock & Flex Cable (Sports)
The lock is medium sized and hefty. The D lock itself weights 1156 grams and the extra cable is 318 grams.

Fitting the lock to the bike can be tricky. I have a 21" bike frame and there is not that much space to attach the lock. Especially if you have a water bottle holder. I had to try an number of different configurations before I could mount the lock and the water bottle. And even now its a bit on the tight side to get a water bottle in and out.

The mount holds the lock securely. However be warned that it will rattle when you go over bumpy ground or trails. Its something I can live with.

The lock can lock our two bikes together to a standard bike rail and the extra cable can lock the two front wheels.

3.0 out of 5 stars They don't tell you about the FEE to register the lock :(, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Kryptonite Bike Lock & Flex Cable (Sports)
I researched this lock on a number of websites before purchasing via Amazon. There was mention of the importance of 'registering' the lock so that if it was cut or damaged in such a way by a determined thief that it meant your bike was stolen, Kryptonite would replace the bike (up to £800 in value).

*However* what they DON'T tell you is that you have to PAY $10 to register the lock - EACH YEAR - otherwise it doesn't count.

Pah.

Haven't tried the lock yet - but I thought I would let others know because I certainly didn't and it was a bit of a disappointment when I found out. False advertising??? Hmm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Bike Lock, 20 Sept. 2014
PPS076 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kryptonite Bike Lock & Flex Cable (Sports)
I decided to buy 2 of these for our new mountain bikes because I had heard a lot of positive things about the product from my brother in law who is a mountain bike enthusiast.

Given that top quality ones can range from £50-£100 I didn't expect that much from the product given the low price tag however when I removed them from the packing it was evident that they were made of high quality material that's fit for purpose.

They are reasonably easy to apply and to take off but do take several minutes to do so which is common with any lock of this design. We have used them a considerable amount of times in areas that you would not choose to leave your bikes but we haven't had them stolen although certain thieves have tried which was evident with the knife punctures in both tyres.

I recently went shopping to a 'high end' specialised bike store with my brother in law and he showed me the £50-£100 locks that were available. Yes they were very high quality but even the £100 ones were not that much better than this product.

I have now been using the product for a considerable amount of time and have not experienced any problems with it. It has performed the desired task to an exceptionally high standard and I would therefore highly recommend it.

Feedback:
If you wish to provide feedback on this review then please follow the link below.

Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally they've got the bracket right..., 23 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Kryptonite Bike Lock & Flex Cable (Sports)
The Kryptonite D locks are good and last years before becoming sticky to unlock. The weakness was the frame mounting bracket but the current design is excellent, fixes easily and feels really secure, so no more cycling along with the lock dangling from the handlebars or in my backpack.

Kryptonite Bike Lock & Flex Cable