5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected delight.
I would highly recommend this film to all ages, as an adult I was engrossed in "Hotel Transylvania" and found the humour great! The film is ironic and sarcastic and full of quirky jokes! Not to mention that Genndy Tartakovsky's animation is a treat! Embrace your inner monsters, you are in for a delightful ride!

The film "stars" Adam Sandler as Dracula, a loving...
Published 15 months ago by Lola

3.0 out of 5 stars a fun film but maybe not for easily-scared young children
* What's it about? The story is about an overprotecting dracula father who's afraid of letting his 118 year old (= 18 in human years) daughter Mavis fly the nest and see the world because he's afraid the world is a dangerous place for monsters. After suffering from attacks from humans himself, he wants to keep his daughter safe and far, far away from humans. He keeps her...
Published 23 days ago by Ms T

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected delight., 12 Mar. 2014
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

The film "stars" Adam Sandler as Dracula, a loving father who spends his life trying to protect his young daughter, Mavis, from the cruel world of people. With his young daughter coming of age (she hits 118!), Dracula is about to host a party of a lifetime. And here comes a party crasher Jonathan, voiced by hilarious Andy Samberg, a dude and lone traveller who accidentally ends up at the hotel and (you saw it coming) falls in love with Mavis.

All in all, "Hotel Transylvania" has the definite trademark of Adam Sandler and his posse, but it is also a sweet and kind-hearted family film. Especially for the horror loving family. Five stars - no hesitation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 17 May 2013
Gosh, I love animated movies and I need to say that Hotel Transylvania does not disappoint! One of the best releases of 2012 :-) Honestly feel good movie! Get a copy - will definitely make you laugh!

5.0 out of 5 stars DRACULA GETS A REVAMP, 31 Oct. 2012
I'd heard negative reviews about this being nowhere near as funny as many other anmimations and i really don't know why,it's very impressive.
A great idea with Dracula being an overprotective father of his daughter who's just turned 118 (a gag i found amusing). She hoping for her 118th birthday her dad will let her out of the monster hotel just to see what humans are really like.
Along comes a young explorer who falls for her and she for him. He at first assumes this some some kind of fancy dress party,but soon learns the truth. Then it's up to Dracula to keep the explorer a secret and so he becomes a descendant of frankenstein's monster in order to stay there without being slaughtered. The truth about Dracula and his daughter,wife and trouble with the humans is soon revealed. There's a lot of very funny stuff and makes some good points,giving great messages about life and differences in people's attitudes. And the way it handles young love is all very touching,with animation to adore and great voice overs. I honestly can't see why this is considered a bad movie,it's funny,it looks nice,it's got a great plot and makes some good points. And of course,Dracula becomes cool again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Vamptastic Bleh Bleh Bleh!, 25 May 2014
I find most kids films quite boring or sickly. This is quite unique. The story and characters are fresh and funny and there is enough humour for both kids and adults to enjoy. This film actually made me laugh hard! For fans of How To Train Your Dragon and Ice Age. The cast are great and I was surprised at Adam Sandler who was hilarious, I usually hear his name and run for the hills. This really is a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Pleasant Surprise, 18 Jan. 2013
I took my son to see this (he is six) and we both loved it. I honestly expected it to be a 'more of the same' in the field of animated children's films - mildly funny, great animation but on the whole nothing much to shout about. Actually, as well as being funny, it was unexpectedly sweet and uplifting. One of those animated films that appeals to boys as much as girls which is a real plus. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hilarious and Entertaining Animation Which We Have Found Ourselves Watching Again and Again, 8 Jan. 2014
Andrew McCann (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hotel Transylvania (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012] (Blu-ray)
Having originally bought the DVD version of Hotel Transylvania for family viewing, knowing little about it or what to expect, we soon found ourselves wanting to watch it again (and that was just me and the wife!), hence the reason we have now purchased the Blu-ray version.

I won't say too much about the storyline in this review, as that has been thoroughly and efficiently described elsewhere by other reviewers, but from our own perspective there are some very funny lines in this animation, which provoke many "laugh out loud" moments, even though we have heard them umpteen times before.

In addition, there is so much onscreen detail and slapstick humour, that even after countless viewings, we still spot the odd little visual gag that we somehow managed to miss previously.

However one of the most endearing aspects of the film is the underlying theme of Drac's over-protectiveness towards his daughter. This is something with which most parents, (especially with teenaged daughters) will be able to identify and find reason to laugh at, even though by doing so, they will find that they are actually laughing at themselves.

To conclude, we found this to be a hilarious and entertaining film, which has provoked many happy moments and will continue to do so in the future.

Whether or not others agree or disagree with this viewpoint is a matter of personal taste, but this review represents our honest impressions of Hotel Transylvania and it is hoped that they will be helpful to others considering whether or not to purchase this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars I do not say blah, blah, blah, 5 April 2013
Was a bit cautious about watching this with my 2 and 4 year old girls but a friend recommended it and I'm so glad we did. It is very funny, great characters and lovely storyline.

Dracula has built a Hotel (as per the title) to allow monsters to have a holiday safely away from humans (they are scared of humans in a slightly Monsters Inc style). He is a very overprotective dad to his daughter Mavis, who is about to her her 118th birthday ("I'm 118 not 83" - I could so relate with a teenage daughter myself). Drac promised her that on this birthday she could go out of the hotel to see what humans are really like and suggests she goes to the nearest village. She does and meets the zombies dressed up as humans who do their best to be awful to her and home she goes (of course this has all been set up by Drac and the village is only pretend). Unbeknown to them though, a young explorer follows the Zombies back and ends up arriving at Hotel Transylvania.

Drac ends up having to disguise him as a distant cousin of Frankenstein's right arm and naturally, Mavis falls for him. A touching scene when the truth about Dracula's family emerges had us all with quivering chins. However, Drac wants him out of the castle as he feels his influence is bad (everyone is suddenly having a really good time) and he reluctantly leaves but then Drac realises that his daughter has experienced her first 'zing' of love and he has to get him back. That's when they find out that the town and people really do think that the monsters are cool as the humans help Drac. The 118th party takes place with a super song of which the Drac Rap is the highlight.

If you're unsure about this for your little ones, sit with them as when Drac gets angry he goes red and shows his fangs which made mine jump a little bit the first time but by the 2nd viewing, they just laughed. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cartoon movie I've seen yet. Blew me away and was in no way over-hyped., 14 Feb. 2013
I'm not really a fan of cartoon movies but I'm occasionally talked into watching them with someone else so through time I have seen more than a few and to be fair, I really don't like most of them. This on the other hand was genius. I laughed from the very start right through to the end.

It's packed with witty jokes about a collection of monsters that everyone knows so well. Your probably already aware but the basic storyline is Dracula built the castle/hotel for the monsters to go on holiday and hide away from the humans. The setting is his daughter Mavis's 118th birthday and she is becoming a woman and wants to go out into the world which the count isn't for having.

As the story progresses we get more of a backstory on the count and why he is the way he is and the first ever human to find the castle becomes very friendly with Mavis. I'm not telling you anymore than that as I hate spoilers but you could probably have got all that from the trailer.

I loved Adam Sandler's Count Dracula voice and everyone else in the movie was great too. This would definitely be great for kids but adults will love it too. I did keep getting flashbacks to The Flintstones meet Rockula and Frankenstone which I loved when I was younger but it's in no way whatsoever a copy of that movie. Just slight similarities.

I honestly can't recommend this high enough and it is easily one of the best cartoon movies I've seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars YOUR ZING WILL COME, 27 May 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The film opens with a loving nurturing Dracula caring for his daughter in 1895. In order to protect her from evil humans he constructs a huge castle as a refuge for monsters which include, Frankenstein, wolfman, invisible man, bigfoot, zombies, ghouls, Quasimodo etc. We then move to the present as his teen looking daughter turns 118 and wants to see the world. Before the first human shows up we already know the script.

There were a number of fun things about the monsters that kids would enjoy but adults will find tiresome. Dracula constantly denies saying "blah, ba-blah, ba-blah." There is one scene the kids laughed at and that was when someone pulled down the swimming trunks of the Invisible Man. He quickly pulls them back up, tells people "I just got out of the pool! It's cold! Don't judge me!" At one point the Invisible Man is playing charades, which he admits, "I'm not very good at."

At one point Dracula asks if humans would accept them (the monsters) if they "came out." I'm sure there was some kind of message there.

As an adult, I was basically bored with the film which had such great potential. 4 stars from a kids view. Not really scary or funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars hotel transylvania, 12 May 2013
absolutely fang-tastic! the kids love it and its an animation even older family members can never tire of watching. the voices match the characters perfectly!

Hotel Transylvania (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012]
Hotel Transylvania (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012] by Genndy Tartakovsky (Blu-ray - 2013)