5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection at its most perfect!
Published on 9 Dec. 2002 by Mr. R. J. Browne

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth The Extra Cash!
Published on 22 May 2004 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection at its most perfect!, 9 Dec. 2002
Mr. R. J. Browne (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spider-Man [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Simply fantastic! I loved this film so very much, which is a big achievement since I wanted to hate it when I first went to see it. I'm a big fan of Spiderman, Marvel and all things superhero-like, so while you might think my review might be a bit biased, you couldn't be further from truth. I thought this film would ruin Spiderman and be a cheap cash in on the Spiderman name. Having seen pictures of what the Green Goblin looked like, it practically confirmed my view. But how wrong I was!

The film is just so faithful to Spiderman and the comics. There are so many things that are just so right and done just how they should be! You even have little things such as the high school bully, Flash, in there as well as MJ calling Peter "Tiger" just like she does in the comics and series. Even the phrase "Friendly neighbourhood Spiderman" is in there! The action is amazing, and is just perfect. It really does Spiderman justice, and makes him seem like a proper superhero.

And the Green Goblin is an amazing baddie! I thought he looked like some reject robot or something from photo's I'd seen in magazines, but when you see him in the film, and his voice, it's just perfect, and he comes out with some amazing villain phrases! You really can tell that Stan Lee, the creator of Spiderman, really did go to every extent to make sure that this film was as perfect as it should be with his involvement in the production of this film.

Okay, there are some really cheesy moments (the scene when all the New Yorkers throw stuff is the worst - you'll know what I mean when you see it, and they had the chance to kill Macy Gray - what a wasted opportunity), but the rest of the film is fabulous. I really wanted to hate this film, but I just couldn't help but love it!

Lets put it this way; while watching this film, I wanted it to end. This isn't because it was so bad, but because it was sheer perfection that it couldn't get any better, only worse. If it ended then it would end on a high note. But the film didn't end at those points, it just stayed perfect all the way through (cheese aside).

If you are not a Spiderman or action film fan, I still think you will be able to enjoy this film. You might not find it perfect like I do, but you certainly will enjoy immensely, it as it's well above average to say the least.

An amazing film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gimpy kid gets bitten by super spider, 6 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Spider-Man [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
To be honest, I was expecting a synical marketing exercise. You know the type of thing, plenty of special effects but little in the way of plot.
Wow, was I wrong. I have two children 9 and 7 and sat back with them expecting to fall asleep within 10 minutes. Instead, the film gripped me from start to finish - it had everything. A decent storyline - 'gimpy kid gets bitten by super spider and turns into a genuine everyday super hero' plus a great villian played by the ever excellent Willen Dafoe.
And as for the effects. - STUNNING. The fight scenes with the Green Goblin are amazing. Spideman's costume is a work of art too - and this alone, in my mind at least, elevates it above the likes of Batman and Superman.
This is one of those rare films that manages to please the entire family. I'd be quite happy to sit back and watch it again with the kids or indeed on my own.
Something for all ages and sets the standard for which similar films will be judged.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth The Extra Cash!, 22 May 2004
For some strange reason, I never got around to buying 'Spiderman' on DVD, but when I saw that a 'deluxe' edition was being released with a third disc of extras, I felt that the time had come to finally purchase it. It comes nicely packaged, with a cardboard sleeve to house the amaray case, but once unwrapped, I was shocked to see that the third disc was simply thrown in; No, not part of the overall package, but slipped in between the cardboard sleeve and the main case (which is the regular two disc version of 'Spiderman' available)! It has its own cardboard sleeve (like those that you get with free CD's in Sunday newspapers!) and this cheapens the item further!! There is no compartment to store it, therefore being a little useless as it is now sitting in a drawer rather than on my DVD cabinet! The disc has some interesting extras though, from the costume and set designs to looking at certain scenes in detail, and there are some sneek peeks at 'Spiderman 2', however, these can be seen on TV all the time, and the trailer can be viewed on the Apple Quicktime website. This would have felt like more of a complete package had it had all the extras bundled into less discs, but the price cannot be justified and it was a disappointing buy. Buy the regular two disc version for less, the extras just aren't worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Spider-Man [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
This is who I want to be when I grow up!

'Spider-Man' is my absolute favourite superhero movie. It's a classic! This movie inspired me to become who I am today. It's got everything. Life lessons, action adventure, romance and creepy crawlies with eight legs. I love everything about this movie!

The 'Spider-Man' DVD is a 2-disc set. Disc 1 contains the movie and Disc 2 contains special features.

This movie was released in 2002. I didn't the film in cinemas as I wasn't readily interested in 'Spider-Man'. I got interested when mum and dad bought me 'Spider-Man - The Ultimate Villain Showdown' DVD. From seeing the cartoon episodes, I wanted to see the movie next!

'Spider-Man' became my number one Christmas present in 2002. I enjoyed every minute of it and loved the story and the characters. Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, Willem Dafoe and James Franco lead a top notch cast in a movie fantastically directed by Sam Raimi.

The story of 'Spider-Man' is based on the original comic book character created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko for Marvel comics in 1962. Spider-Man appeared in 'Amazing Fantasy #15' and became a success appearing in his own comic book series 'The Amazing Spider-Man'.

The story is about a young boy who gets bullied at school and is on a school trip at a science center. Peter Parker gets bitten by a radioactive spider that gives him powers to crawl up on walls and shoot webs. He soon becomes the amazing superhero...Spider-Man!

Spider-Man is my favourite superhero because I could really relate to Peter Parker. I could identify with Peter's personal life as I was going through what he was going through with getting bullied at school and not being able to have confidence in talking to girls.

As a youth, this movie was extra-special to me as I could really engage with the characters and the actors who played them. I wanted to be like Peter Parker; become Spider-Man; save the girl of my dreams and fall in love with; and beat the bad guy determined to kill me.

Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man is brilliant! Tobey really gets the character of Peter absolutely right as a young man who comes of age and learns the true meaning of accepting responsibility. I'd like to think Peter and how Tobey plays him reminds me of me.

Willem Dafoe plays the villainous Norman Osborn/the Green Goblin. Willem is tremendous, as plays both sides to his character. As Norman, he's well-mannered and a clever scientist/businessman. As the Green Goblin, he's completely insane and is out for revenge.

Kirsten Dunst plays leading lady Mary Jane Watson. I love Kirsten's performance and was delighted to see her playing Mary Jane (MJ for short). MJ is a girl that Peter absolutely adores and during the course of the film there's this really sweet love story that I love.

James Franco plays Harry Osborn, Peter's best friend and Norman Osborn's son. Harry's a young man who wants to be loved by his father but he's not getting it. Peter and Harry have been best buddies since high school, though Harry actually has a love interest for MJ as well.

Rosemary Harris plays Aunt May. Both she and Uncle Ben have raised Peter since he was a little boy. I really like Rosemary's performance as she portrays a caring, compassionate but firm interpretation of the character and has that motherly quality that is essential in Aunt May.

Cliff Robertson is great as Uncle Ben. He only appears in the first half of the film, Uncle Ben teaches Peter some important life lessons as 'With great power comes great responsibility'. Ben sadly gets killed in this movie which inspires Peter to become Spider-Man.

J.K. Simmons brilliantly plays J. Jonah Jameson, editor of the Daily Bugle. Jameson hates Spider-Man and believes he's a criminal and a public menace. I love seeing Jameson's scenes, especially when he gets attacked by the Green Goblin who crashes in his office.

This film is well-directed by Sam Raimi who puts his heart and soul into making it with a passion for 'Spider-Man'. He captures the action and stylish swinging scenes of Spider-Man superbly and brings a sense of realism of Peter Parker growing up to accepting responsibility.

The sets of 'Spider-Man' are pretty impressive. I like how the production team have come up with the locations and sets for the movie such as OsCorp Industries; the Parker house in Queens, New York; the Daily Bugle offices; the World Unity Festival in Times Square, etc.

The special effects are amazing! John Dykstra, the visual effects supervisor, makes the CGI and physical effects work and I can't see any fault in them today. From Spidey's web-slinging and wall-crawling to the Green Goblin's soaring on the goblin glider, it really is impressive.

The DVD special features are as follows. On Disc 1, there's a filmmakers' and cast commentary with director Sam Raimi; co-producer Grant Curtis; Kirsten Dunst and producer Laura Ziskin. There's also a commentary with John Dykstra and his special effects crew.

There's a 'Spider Sense' option to watch where the movie contains a series of web-i-sodes to watch when using the remote control to press a Spider Sense icon. There's also 'Weaving the Web' Pop-Up Factoids, which is a stylish info-text commentary option to watch.

There are also 'Character Files' show a list of actors' filmographies. There's also a 'Marketing Campaign' menu containing some exciting trailers, TV spots and two music videos of songs which can be found on the 'Music From And Inspired By Spider-Man' CD.

There are also some DVD ROM features to play on your computer which includes a 'Comic/Feature Comparison' and a 'Record Your Own Commentary' option for the movie. There's also an 'Easter Egg' and some web-links to look out for on the disc.

On Disc 2, there are two sections to enjoy - the 'Web of Spider-Man' and the 'Goblin's Lair'.

In the 'Web of Spider-Man', it focuses on the comic book world of Spider-Man. There are three sub-sections including 'The Evolution of Spider-Man'; 'Activision Game: Hints and Tips' and `DVD-ROM'.

'The Evolution of Spider-Man' section contains the following. There's the 'Spider-Man - The Mythology of the 21st Century' documentary; the 'Spider-Man Archives'; an Artist Gallery aka Peter Parker's Darkroom; the Rogues Gallery and 'The Loves of Peter Parker' gallery.

The 'Activision Game: Hints and Tips' section is a guide containing three videos on the first three levels of the 'Spider-Man' video game from Activision. It's a very interesting guide and it helps you with what to expect should you purchase and play the video game.

The 'DVD-ROM' section is where you put the second disc into the computer to access a number of features. These include the 'Marvel.dot comics'; the 'Spider-Man: Activision Game Promo' and the 'Spider-Man Visualizer'.

In the 'Goblin's Lair', it focuses on the movie world of `Spider-Man'. It includes a HBO Making of 'Spider-Man'; the 'Spider-Mania' E! entertainment special; a 'Director's Profile: Sam Raimi'; a 'Composer's Profile: Danny Elfman'; screen tests and a gag/outtake reel.

There are also some Easter Eggs to look out for on Disc 2 of this DVD.

This movie is a classic telling the story of how Peter Parker becomes Spider-Man; fights crime and wins the girl of his dreams. It's well-directed by Sam Raimi and doesn't disappoint to this day. It's one of my absolute favourite films from my youth. I highly recommend it!

The next movie for Peter Parker/Spider-Man is 'Spider-Man 2'.

5.0 out of 5 stars You and I are not so different., 19 Sept. 2011
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Spider-Man [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Whilst out on a high school museum trip, student Peter Parker is bitten by a genetically enhanced spider. He suddenly finds himself with arachnid like super powers and goes on a crime fighting spree.

With a budget of $100 million and a then up coming director in Sam Raimi in the chair, expectations for the first live action film of Spider-Man was extraordinarily high. Thankfully, Raimi and his team succeeded in producing a rip roaring spectacle that doesn't want for human based drama either. Back in 2002 Spider-Man was rightly being lauded as a film that appeased all comers, Raimi fans, comic book geeks and the walk in thrill seeking cinema crowd {the last one is a club i'm proudly a member of} all of which got catered for. Today, after two differing sequels, some of Spider-Man's shine appears to have dimmed, it's almost as if the franchise is judged as a whole, and not for this splendid, and very well crafted piece of fantasy. Which is a shame as Spider-Man doesn't rest on its comic book laurels, that would have been the easy option. Revisiting the film now in this post Dark Knight era, where darkly drawn undercurrents are all the rage, Raimi's Spider-Man is actually a leading light.

Having Raimi in charge greatly benefits the piece, because where one could easily have dealt in full blown light entertainment, Raimi and screenwriter David Koep have flecked the fun with shades of dark. Comic book villainy gets a complex make over courtesy of Willem Dafoe's cackling Norman Osborne/Green Goblin splice off, with a mirror sequence fit to grace any head doctor seminar!. And Parker's duality {excellently realised by a well cast Tobey Maguire} alongside his own complex moral quandaries ensures that Spider-Man the movie is not just about bang for the buck shenanigans. Some minor problems do exist, the CGI at times comes off as creaky, and Danny Elfman's score is not up to his usual high standard, but in the main they are really only throw away complaints. To wit the odd quibble about Spider-Man origins and a hokey Green Goblin costume aside, the film is a sure fire winner. Kirsten Dunst eventually warms to the admittedly twee role of love interest Mary Jane Watson, and James Franco serves notice of undoubted ability as Peter Parker's best friend, Harry Osborne. With a humongous budget and a salivating fan base to please, Raimi was entrusted great responsibility. That he crafted such a ripper of a movie, with little shades of dark, is now, to my mind, a towering achievement. 8.5/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Collector's edition Spider-Man, 29 Dec. 2009
This is the combined Region 2 and Region 4 playable DVD of Spider-Man and is the 2-disc Collectors edition.

Special Features:

Disc 1

- Original Widescreen presentation

- Audio commentary by director Sam Raimi, executive producer Laura Ziskin, co-producer Grant Curtis and star Kirsten Dunst

- Audio commentary by visual effects supervisor John Dykstra and his visual effects crew

- Music videos - `Hero' performed by Chad Kroeger (Nickelback) & Josey Scott (Saliva) and `What We Were All About" by Sum 41

- `Weaving the Web' pop-up `factoids' track reveals production and historical notes while you watch the movie

- Branching reveals 6 `web-I-sode' behind-the-scenes featurettes from key scenes in the film

- 12 TV spots

- DVD-ROM features* including `Film to script' or `Film to comic book' split screen comparison plus `Record your own film commentary' and web-links

- Talent and character profiles

- Original movie trailer

- Bonus movie trailers

- Picture disc

Disc 2
- `Spider-mania - an E! Entertainment Special' - a 40 minute documentary

- `SPIDER-MAN: The Mythology of the 21st Century' - a 25 minute feature of the 40 year history of SPIDER-MAN

- `The making of SPIDER-MAN the movie' - a 25 minute behind-the-scenes feature

- Gags/outtakes

- 2 further behind-the-scenes featurettes - a profile of director Sam Raimi and composer Danny Elfman

- Rehearsal footage including screen tests, CGI tests, costume and make-up tests

- Hints and tips for the SPIDER-MAN PlayStation®2 game

- DVD-ROM features* including 3 exclusive electronic SPIDER-MAN comics, Activision Spider-Man PC game demo, screensaver and web-links

- 2 additional featurettes including `Rogues gallery' and `The Loves of Peter Parker

- `From the Spider-Man Archives' - comic time-line

- `Peter Parker's Darkroom' - photo gallery including conceptual art

- Picture disc

4.0 out of 5 stars Spins a web, catches the audience., 26 April 2007
D. Climo - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spider-Man [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Well, well, well how can I sum this film up? Well for starters I've been a proper fan of ol'web head since I was ten so when I heard there was a film in it's early stages of production I was well excited.

Then there was a period where the film almost sunk without trace due to production difficulties so my expectations weren't really high then I suddenly heard a few years later that Tobey Maguire had been cast as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane (who wouldn't have been my first choice but she soon proved me wrong!) and Willem Dafoe as the Green Goblin. Upon seeing a teaser trailer about six to nine months before it's release over here, my expectations were soon back on the high.

I was sixteen when the film eventually came out and saw it about three weeks after it opened and was blown away by the special effects and acting although not so much by the storyline but hey it's showing Spideys origins mainly. I was also pleased to see the hero of two hours wearing his traditional costume, which the team at one point I remember considered against.

Tobey Maguire is perfect as the shy/nerdy Peter Parker but the heroic Spiderman. Kirsten Dunst is great as girl-next-door Mary Jane who secretly loves Pete but doesn't know how to show it straightaway. Willem Dafoe is great as the likeable but in some slight ways arrogant Norman Osborn who turns into the psychotic Green Goblin after a lab experiment goes wrong.

Sadly, if you are expecting a big plot Batman Begins-style then you will be dissappointed as this mainly focuses on the origins of the two lead characters and how they come face to face.

Other than that it's good summer entertainment. ****

5.0 out of 5 stars Spider_man, 19 Aug. 2003
MR M.A BARRETT (SWAFFHAM, NORFOLK United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spider-Man [VHS] [2002] (VHS Tape)
Spiderman is the best film I have ever seen in my life,I cant wait for the sequel in 2004!
The opening credits are even wonderfull they get you exicited!
The film is based on the marvel comics by Stan Lee.The film starts on a school bus and Peter Parker(Tobey Maguire)is running after it.They are on The way to columia university to see some spiders!While Peter is taking photographs of Mary Jane Watson(kirsten Dunst)a spider who is a genetically enhanced spider bites him and then he feels ill and in the morning peter is transformed he is stronger and he doesn't know what is happening.Then he has a fight and he wins!Peter finds he has webbing coming out of his arms and then he knows when the spider bit him it made him have powers of a spider!
Peter tries to get money by wresting and he shold get three thousand dollars but the man does gave the money to peter.Then a thief comes in and steals the money and peter lets the thief go!Then he finds a croud and police cars he goes to see what happens amd his Uncle Ben got shot by the thief and uncle ben dies but before uncle ben died he told peter some good advice
With great power comes great responabilty!
So peter becomes Spiderman!
But while this all happened Norman osborn(willen Dafoe)a scientist tried a experiment on himself and he becomes insane and he becomes green Goblin!
There are fights beetween Spider-man and Green goblin and this puts the lives of mary jane and aunt may (rosemary Harris)at risk.
This is the best film ever made the graphics are great the storyline is great every thing is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genuinely Entertaining Blockbuster, 15 Feb. 2003
Gary F. Taylor "GFT" (Biloxi, MS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spider-Man [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
I'm not generally enthusiastic about superheroes, comic book characters, or even special effects movies--but I have to say that SPIDERMAN is easily the best movie of its kind that I have ever seen, a movie that packs a tremendous whallop in terms of being just flat-out fun to watch. The cast is solid; the story is entertaining; the special effects are first rate all the way.
Unless you've been living in a hole all these years, you already recognize the character--one of the last to emerge from the golden age of comic books and still one of the most popular. But Spiderman differs somewhat from most comic book superheroes: he is insecure, angst-ridden, and carries with him all the uncertainties of youth; consequently, the character foreshadowed the current wave of much darker comicbook characters, many of whom might be described as underdog anti-heroes. While the film departs from the original comic book storyline in a number of ways, it retains that element. And it follows the legend in general outline: Peter Parker is a brainy but slightly nerdy and insecure kid--but when he is bitten by a radioactive (in this case a genetically mutated) spider, he develops amazing powers. And when crime hits home in a personal way, he sets out to rid the city of bad guys and comes face to face with supercriminal Green Goblin, who is determined to tempt Spiderman into a life or crime or kill him trying.
I would have never imagined Tobey Maguire in the role of Spiderman, but he brings the right blend of uncertainty and joy in his newly discovered powers to the role, and as a result is a superhero character that is a lot more believable than most other big screen efforts. Willen Dafoe, who has made a career of playing unexpected characters, is also perfectly cast as The Green Goblin, and the supporting cast--which includes Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, Cliff Robertson, and Rosemary Harris--is also extremely good. The film moves at a good pace, alternately witty and actionpacked, touching and sharp. And although the special effects are a bit dimmed by the translation to the small screen (I always find that CGI works better on the big screen), it is still fascinating stuff to watch.
The double DVD set comes with a host of extras, including computer games, outtakes, and the like, but the most enjoyable of the extras are a documentary on the making of the film and a documentary re Marvel Comics with an emphasis (of course) on "your friendly neighborhood Spiderman;" frankly, bonus packages don't come much better. Now, if you're not a comicbook or superhero fan, you might want to rent this one before you buy it; the fact that everything is on the surface (no seriously deep meanings here) is also likely to annoy people looking for depth. But that aside, SPIDERMAN is just a tremendous amount of fun to watch from start to finish, and if you can enter into that spirit of fun you'll enjoy every minute of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Standout of 2002, 13 Mar. 2003
Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Spider-Man [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Peter Parker is the class nerd. One day, while on a field trip, he is bitten by a super spider and starts to gain super powers. While he's having fun climbing walls and shooting webbing, his best friend's dad is undergoing a transformation of his own. Norman Osborn has tried a highly risky experiment on himself, and it's made him crazy. Transforming into the Green Goblin, he fights to bring down all those who oppose him. When Spiderman gets in his way, the battle ensues.
What really drew me to this movie was the emotions and struggles it puts the characters through. Peter is forever longing to be noticed by Mary Jane, and his sudden transformation doesn't turn her eye. Yet he's also aware that keeping who he has become a secret is highly important to the safety of his friends and family. That last scene was dynamite! I also enjoyed the Jekyll/Hyde relationship that Norman had with the Green Goblin. That was filmed and written well, making the villain slightly sympathetic himself. The actors do a wonderful job of drawing me in and making me care for the characters. Much like the real world, not everything gets resolved easily, and this movie certainly left me wanting to know more.
The DVD set is wonderful as well. The film is preserved with clear picture and sound. The commentaries are interesting and there are loads of behind the scenes things to go through. I'm not that familiar with the Spider-Man comics, so I found the sections on the character especially fascinating as well.
This movie tempers its action with wonderful heart, making it a truly likeable film. Movies don't get much better then this.

Spider-Man [Blu-ray] [2002]
Spider-Man [Blu-ray] [2002] by Sam Raimi (Blu-ray - 2012)