5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of radio for a great price!
I considered a large number of shortwave radios &, after much deliberation, the choice came down to the high priced & the low priced ones. (In this particular market, the middle range seemed to offer the worst of both worlds!)

Published on 13 Feb 2012 by Eldee

2.0 out of 5 stars SW radio with no shortwave reception.
This is a nice radio. The build quality is good for the price. I bought this radio for the SW stations but I got absolutely no reception what so ever on any of the 10 bands. This was a real shame because if the radio had worked it would have been ideal. I returned it the following day using Amazon's excellent returns procedure.
Published 12 months ago by Jonathan Pallister

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of radio for a great price!, 13 Feb 2012
Eldee (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trevi 741 Portable World Receiver Radio - 12 Band FM/MW/SW 1-10 (BLACK Finish) (Electronics)

I decided that I wanted access to shortwave but was not so much into the idea that I needed to buy a fancy SW radio at the higher end of the price range. This radio has 10 SW bands (+ MW & FM) & that should be enough enough for anyone, like me, with a basic curiosity about SW.

The radio has a very solid feel about it & has a decent speaker & so the sound is, for a radio of this size, loud, clear & generally pretty good. It is helped by a full range tone control - i.e. not just a hi/lo switch.

The tuning is manual & there are no presets but the display is clear & the controls are all very easy to use.

There is a Distance/ Local switch on the side of the radio which helps to boost either a distant or local signal on SW or FM when two or more stations bleed into one. This feature is absent on more expensive radios of this type but is definitely useful. (For me, it seems to work best when tracking local stations on FM.)

The overall design of the radio is good with almost a classic look to it. There is a carry strap & a flap at the back which can be opened to allow you to put the radio on a surface at an angle of about 30 degrees. There is even a small timeline world map printed on the back which shows you the detailed time deviation of regions from GMT.

There is an headphone socket which can be useful when tuning in low volume level SW stations in particular.

The radio has a 6v DC socket & an external aerial socket. (Neither a mains adaptor nor an external aerial is supplied but that could not be expected at the price of the item.)

Although solid in feel, the radio is quite slim & could be slightly wobbly on a surface that is not completely flat - especially with the (long) aerial raised.

A backlight could have been a nice feature & there is no LW but these are not complaints as neither features are essential to me.

All in all, this radio represents fantastic value - so good, in fact, I felt compelled to write a review!

The item arrived within 48 hours of ordering on FREE standard delivery.

What's not to like?

5.0 out of 5 stars Trevi 741 is amazing value, 30 Sep 2012
Superb bit of kit for the price paid - sounds better than several more expensive radios I own or have had in the past.
Seems quite sensitive as it picked up lots of stations when used in the wilds of Northumberland where my car radio could detect very little.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Radio, 13 Oct 2012
The Trevi 741 is a great little radio, i bought it purely for it's SW capabilities and i am astounded by it's performance both as a SWL receiver and as
a general radio, the sound quality is good and it is a joy to use on FM and AM

i have mine connected to a long wire SW aerial and have found myself using it instead of my main SW receiver, it's sensitivity to even weak SW signals
is more than enough to bring in distant stations

if you want an inexpensive radio to listen to music etc but with the ability to have a listen around the SW band's then this one is ideal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trevi 741 Portable World Radio, 5 Aug 2013
"This shortwave radio is wonderful in many ways. It is sturdy,well made and very easy to use. It arrived well packaged and in 2 working days. Within minutes I was listening to Radio China and Radio Romania ( both in English ) with the help of "shortwaveschedule.com or "dxzone.com" which tells you what stations are on now and what frequencies,languages etc. All in all well worth the money 5 Stars "

5.0 out of 5 stars Super wee gadget, 14 July 2012
I had a cheapo world band radio I picked up in a supermarket, and wanted something a bit more substantial without going and paying too much for some complicated thing with far too many buttons! Top marks for this - simple to use, and I managed to get a mains adaptor to fit it, so even better. And I like the almost-retro styling of it. Fast delivery from Amazon too, so good one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 30 Jan 2012
Mister A (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I purchased this radio as a gift for my Mother who is travelling overseas so she can listen to the BBC World Service. For the price I thought it represented good value. When it arrived it was nicely packaged, it looked very well made and upon testing it I found it to be working perfectly. I am unlikely to find out how durable it is as she will probably give the radio away before returning home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent traditional-designed radio, 22 Nov 2011
I like this radio because it is so easy to use. As a present for my dad, I thought I would be having to teach him how to use it, however he was able to do it himself. The traditional design is much nicer than alot of other radios on the market that tend to look cheap and tacky. The antenna extends very high so it is easy to pick up signals anywhere. I'm very pleased.

2.0 out of 5 stars SW radio with no shortwave reception., 30 July 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars World radio in a huge world, 24 July 2013
A. Deacon (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
An excellent radio for its size. Easy to tune and good reception. I had never heard of Trevi before but it is very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great radio., 20 Jun 2013
I wanted this for picking up radio in the Scottish Highlands when camping, there's limited reception around there so this needed to be good.
Turns out it's great, I was always able to get what I wanted on it. The tone control really is a nice touch and makes a difference to the sound quality.
Highly recommended.