5.0 out of 5 stars Picture Does Not Do It Justice!
Published on 14 Aug 2012 by J. M. Green

3.0 out of 5 stars It is not a dresswatch by any means
It is not a dress watch by any means,the prominent ring on the dial makes it look 'tacky'(no pun intended!),it's heavy,and after a few hours of wear becomes uncomfortable.The reason for purchase was that it was the only watch that I could find that had the three criteria I required,firstly accuracy(atomic clock controlled),second perpetual callendar(day/date always...
Published 5 months ago by Roger D weaver

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture Does Not Do It Justice!, 14 Aug 2012
J. M. Green "john94682" (Sutton Coldfield) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Chronograph Watch AT4007-54E with a Black Dial and a Black Stainless Steel Bracelet (Watch)
Having owned a succession of timepieces, the biggest gripe I always had was battery replacement - i.e. the cost, the inconvenience and, if not using the approved watch retailer, could you trust someone to ensure that the waterproof integrity was not broached. So with my current Seiko Titanium fast becoming worn out, I decided that either a solar powered or kinetic powered watch would be the order of the day and set about looking for it's replacement.
After quite a bit of research, I finally went for the Citizen Eco-Drive watch although I did have reservations about the size of the dial - but having seen it in a local jewellers, decided that although larger than my current timepiece it was not of the "big Ben" variety that some people wear these days! And, I have to say that this watch is certainly worth the outlay, and apart from it's solar powered Eco-Drive which eliminates the need for battery replacements, the piece comes with perpetual calendar and radio control meaning that once the timepiece is set, you need never bother with it ever again if you don't want to!( although there is a facility for automatic US time zones etc should you have the need)
Operation of the watch is very simple and intuitive and the CD rom and instruction book which come in the packaging will virtually be unused!
The alarm facility is also simple to use although as to whether it would prove to be useful is doubtful as it really has no volume to it and there is no volume gain control..but this is a minor quibble.
Having chosen this watch in black, rather than natural stainless steel , it will be interesting to see just how hard wearing the bracelet colouration will be - particularly that I tend to wear my watch all the time, rarely removing it - but if the overall quality of this watch is anything to go by, I am sure that the smart people at Citizen will have made sure that the bracelet is as durable as the main attraction should prove to be.
Footnote: 03/09/2013
1 year on and this watch remains pretty much in pristine condition even though worn 24/7. The fear that the black ion coating would not be durable enough has proven to be ill founded!
Footnote: 09/08/2014
And now 2 years on and having only come off my wrist a couple of times, the watch hasn't missed a beat and the strap and case remain in almost pristine condition - you can certainly buy this beautiful watch with confidence!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning design and great features, 20 Aug 2012
This watch really stands out as being beautifully designed, the brushed and polished steel strap looks really great, as does the black watch face with various silver embelishments that catch the light and give the face a high quality feel.

This watch also packs some great features that, being particularly lazy, really appeal to me. I don't ever need to wind on the date (perpetual calendar), adjust the time (radio control syncs daily with radio signals from atomic clock), nor will I ever need to change the battery (eco-drive means it charges from other light sources). You can manually adjust the time/date too if you need to, and it's something geeky to do to test the radio control function, see it spin all the way back when it self adjusts.

The top left dial shows a 24hr clock face, top right dial shows day and battery level, and the bottom middle dial shows the mode (alarm, chronograph or time zone). Around the bezel are some other indicators that the hands turn to when it certain modes or when certain buttons are pressed. For example, H M L indicators indicate at the last update whether or not the watch received a High, Medium or Low strength signal... while this probably isn't too significant (it has had a signal so did update), it also indicates if it did not update (points to No).

The only downside I can find is that you can not adjust the strap without adding/removing links, but take your time and adjust properly then you'll be set for years (unless of course you go through some significant weight change).

--------------------------------------------------
August 2013 update

As an update I am still very pleased with this watch. The screen has not scratched at all despite numerous drunken antics. Still looks beautiful.

I have scratched the strap slightly but not too badly. I contacted citizen and replacement straps can be ordered through authorised retailers, not sure of cost.

Over winter I obviously wore jumpers and jackets for months on end and so the battery ran low, the second hand moves every 2 seconds when the battery is at its lowest but the watch still read the time perfectly. And now it's summer it has properly been charged since I bought it with loads of time in the hot hot sun.

Being black the watch can get quite hot when in the sun, I find the band feels a little restrictive as perspiration makes it stick and for whatever reason the fit is a little too tight. But it is only like this in the hottest of conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Citizen AT4007-54E, 26 Feb 2012
I have owned this watch since Christmas 2011. I absolutely love the watch! I have quite a small wrist but this isn't too large or heavy but is still large enough to get noticed...I've had a few comments off people admiring the watch. For me it's the features that make it. The Eco-Drive, atomic timekeeping and perpetual calender are the business - absolutely great technology. I refer to my watch for the date throughout the day while at work when signing paperwork etc and it's good to know the date is correct and I haven't forgot to wind it on. The features are similar to what you would find on a digital watch but because it looks so stylish its great for casual and smart dress. The colouring is also superb and I've not seen any other brands that look similar. The blue accents on the buttons are a nice touch and highlights the detail that has went into the watch. For the price I don't think you'll find anything better! It was a toss up between this and the stainless steel version of the watch but I'm pleased I went for the black stainless steel. Quality product!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 2 Feb 2014
Andrew D. Holmes (Cardigan, Wales) - See all my reviews
This is a truly a beautiful watch, and being a Citizen is a extremely well made piece of engineering. I also have the Citizen blue angel watch and this looks even better. The set up booklet that comes with the watch is easy to follow, but better still is the online setup video that is on the Citizen website. Honestly you will not go far wrong by purchasing this time piece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch - you will need to get the bracelet resized unless you have gorrilla-sized wrists, 7 Jun 2014
G. Fleming (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
Arrived in less than a week despite Amazon saying more like 3 weeks.
After taking the watch to a local retailer to get some bracelet links removed, I
had to send it to the Citizen Service Centre to get a repair done! Seems the retailer damaged
it by removing pins that should not be removed. So check with any jeweler who says he can do it.

There is no real fine adjustment to the bracelet so mine is still a bit loose, the links are big. I might have to
buy a lot of pies!

Citizen service were brilliant!

Oh! about the watch? It's heavy but you get used to it. It was working and correctly adjusted on arrival - fully charged.
Just as well because the instructions are complex. there is a youtube video via the citizen website.

Seems this model does not have a screw down crown. Does not need it I suppose. So you can ignore those pages in the manual.
might update this review later.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stunning quality watch!. Worth how much it cost., 22 Jun 2014
The first impression I got when I handled this "men's jewellery" was this is a superb quality watch timepiece.

You can really get that feeling by the high quality sapphire glass, the stainless steel bracelet in 2 different tones of grey, the overall quality of construction and small details all around the watch. In my opinion the design of this watch is outstanding, either by the grey colours, white pointers or the blue accents on the display and buttons. In overall, It provides a distinctive appearance and a classic but yet modern look, suitable for different occasion. This watch looks even more gorgeous than in the pictures, believe me!

Other point I've noticed is the second hand's precise and smooth movement and all the details of the display that makes you realize that you have a high precision and reliable timepiece and you get what you paid for!

The radio atomic signals works flawlessly and the solar power cells keeps it power reserve for months! It's really an hassle-free watch and you never have to worry about precision or batteries.

A watch that makes every man proud of wearing it.

One of my favourites in my collection!

Absolutely recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Top class watch, 7 Feb 2014
World class watch, excellent build quality and just a joy to wear and has very good functions like radio controlled time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch!!! Even if you live in mainland Europe!, 4 April 2013
Michael Thys (Westerlo, Belgium) - See all my reviews
I have this watch now for little over two weeks, and I must say I'm still over the moon.
It looks great and feels great. As soon as you open the box and pick it up you'll see it's quality, you'll even feel it!
It is the most I ever spent on a watch, but it doesn't disappoint, save for one thing: the time zone thing.... This is also why I only gave it 4 out of 5 stars. If you live in the UK or US, great! You'll get a radio controlled watch. But not if you live in Mainland Europe or anywhere else for that matter. Then you'll have to settle for a quartz watch, since the "alternate time mode" does NOT support the radio controlled function.
I however did not spend that amount of money on just a quartz watch. So after carefully reading the manual, I changed the "reference time" (London) from 0 to +1 hour (my time zone). Now I do have a radio controlled watch wherever I go. But this is the only downside there is to this watch.
I never have to change batteries and never have to worry about adjusting the time again.

So, all in all, a great timepiece that makes a statement, and even if you live in any part of mainland Europe, just adjust the reference time accordingly and you'll be set for life!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, 25 Nov 2013
This watch looks fantastic (the pictures do not do it justice) and feels great on. It manages to look sporty, nerdy, classy and formal at the same time. I have quite skinny wrists so I took a couple of links out and doesn't look too big. On top of both looking and feeling good it has more features than you can shake a stick at. The two major deal clinching features of this watch were that it is solar powered and it keeps perfect time, thanks to the radio link to an atomic clock. Being a bit of a geek I have checked its accuracy with various time websites and it is second perfect. I was expecting it to be maybe a second or two out but no.

Great watch. (I also managed to get it at £316. They upped it to the current price almost immediately after I purchased it. Sorry to rub that in.)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Timepiece, 15 Mar 2013
This is my third Citizen watch... My first went AWOL on a dive boat; I've still got and use the second (a 2100). This is, comfortably, the best so far. The AT4007 is fashioned from excellent quality stainless steel which has been given a "silk" finish and then treated to render it a dark, 2-tone charcoal. It is a comfortable weight, well balanced on a good, solid strap and has [in my view] a perfectly-sized dial: big enough to read comfortably, but not so huge as to appear as an ostentatious carbuncle on the wrist...

Pro's
1. The classic design and styling are a nice blend of the traditional design cues of an analogue timepiece, offset with hints of the impressive technology within.

2. The solar power system is flawless. You get all the accuracy of a quartz watch, without having to take it back for batteries every few years. Perfect!

3. The radio-backed accuracy. This watch uses a technology that synchronizes it with time signals from masts sited in major cities around the world. If you move between time zones [and I do] this is a real boon.

4. It's properly water resistant, good for 200 metres. OK, if you're a hardcore diver or a poser you might want something a bit more specialized, but for most sport and recreational diving, this is perfect.

5. The little things. Whether it's the blue lines of detailing on the function buttons, or the rather beautiful patterning of the strap, or the layout and design of the markings on the face, or the presentation case, it's clear that a lot of thought has gone in to making this watch fully-featured without seeming cluttered. It's just got style.

Con's
1. I'm scraping the barrel a bit here, because truly, there's precious little to dislike. If I wanted to be a bit harsh, I might say that a Titanium variant would have been one step up from stainless. The main reason is weight, of course, but I've found Titanium to wear slightly better than steel over time.

2. Really, that's about it.

Sum-up: the pictures on Amazon [no offense!] really don't do this timepiece justice. It manages to find a perfect point of balance for size, weight, features and design and, considering the price, is very good value too. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›