on 19 February 2012
Hmmmmmm, read some mixed reviews on this book but I ended up liking it.

Synopsis: For the last two years Ari's life has been anything but normal and on her 18th birthday, when her friends surprise her with a gimmick genie claiming to grant wishes, Ari discovers the truth. The tragic and strange occurrences surrounding her 16th birthday were not coincidental and her life is never going to be the same again.

Ari's real parents are not normal. They are not loving. They are not human. They are myth. They are Smokeless Fire. They are Jinn.

I must say, this book was EXTREMELY confusing at times. The whole plot of the story was Ari discovering her father and who she really is. Ari was a slightly annoying character to read about at times but I didn't mind her. I enjoyed her relationship with Charlie, you grew to like him over a period of time. I admire her relationship with him and I am shocked that she could still love him after seeing what he does in his free time....

Jai, lovely, lovely Jai. He was a humorous character to read about and I definitely like him. Set as Ari's guardian, the amazing and sexy boy starts to feel things for Ari but he pushes those feelings away, worried that they could get her hurt.

The book was....interesting. :) Satisfying but not worth screaming about. After reading this I hope to read Samantha Young's other books and sequel to Smokeless Fire, which is slated for summer 2012.

<Read more of my reviews at: [...]
on 11 November 2011
I read the lunarmorte series and thought they were great and although I wasn't attracted to the idea of this story being about genies, I thought i'd give it a try. I wasn't disapointed. The genie aspect was so different and exciting I couldn't put the book down. Now I just have to wait for the next installment.
on 27 January 2012
Smokeless Fire is a truly gripping read and easily pulls you into the story to get you hooked. While teenage angst isn't my thing, this author has a way of making you care about the teenage characters that makes you put your self into their shoes regardless of your age. Ari and Jai's adventure starts as a rollcoaster that looks sure to continue twisiting and turning and I can't wait for the next in this series. I look forward to more about Charlie and where things lead to for him too.
I currently have all the books of Samantha Young available. I love the biting sacastic humour that are incorpoated into her books that have me tittering away to myself and Smokeless Fire is no different. Samantha Young has fast become my favorite author and I highly recommend you get her other books!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have enjoyed all of Samantha Young's books so far - however Smokeless Far surpasses all the others! The characters are fantastic, I so want Ari and Jai to get together! The descriptions of the fantastic Jinn kings is amazing - would be great to see them on the big screen - you never know, that might be next!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 3 November 2011
The latest Samantha Young book. I have enjoyed all her books so far and again she doesn't disappoint, she really knows how to create good characters that draw you in. Although not my favorite of hers so far I did still enjoy it. I found that i had to concentrate more to understand the detail around all the Jinn kings and mythology that went with it i had just finished her other book Slumber which i truly, unexpectedly loved.
If you love Samantha Young books then you will love this one too, without a doubt, but if you haven't yet had the pleasure start with Slumber or The Tale of the Lunarmorte books.
on 4 May 2013
Browsed through my kindle and found this from a while back and glad I picked it. I've been abit bored lately with the stories seemingly abit similar and nothings caught my eye but this definitely did.

Ari Johnson is turning 18 and graduating from high school and while her friends are excitedly planning their time at College she's having panic attacks about a future she's not sure she wants. It all goes back to her best friend a secret love Charlie. They were inseperable until his brother was killed two years ago and since her one constant has drifted away from her leaving her alone while her fathers away on business.
Ari's teenage life is definitely not magical.

Jai's a part of the human Jinn and a Guardian in LA. He's never been good enough for his family but now a member of Jinn Royalty has put him on a special task to protect Ari 24/7. She's not what he expected though and he fights to stay professional.

Ari finds out who she really is and her life is forever changed.

Great characters. Ari is moody and sassy with great wit and fun one liners that kept me hooked. She's more woman than teen but her "no way" language is funny to read and really draws you into her.
Jai is the ultimate leading man. Brooding, sexy, damaged but completely honorable. You can tell right away he'll be Ari's love interest but watching the journey is fun.
Charlie has gone through something traumatic so you empathize with him completely but at the same time you get annoyed with him for shutting Ari out and wasting his life. He does redeem himself though but will it come too late.

New and fresh with great in depth characters and an easy to follow storyline that has drama and suspense.

Onto book 2!
on 23 October 2012
The book starts off by introducing Ari and her friends and the teenage drama surrounding every day life...with a tiny twist. Her old best friend has been blaming himself for his little brothers death and has fallen in to a black pit of drinking, drugs and sex with easy young girls. Ari is absolutely devastated at what this is doing to him and, with her love for him, she vows to bring him back from the edge before it is too late.

Already a great plot/story right?

Add another guy, Jai, a sexy, brooding Jinn with a hot body, compassionate personality and great skills with magic and combat. Jai, though Ari doesnt understand why, becomes her guardian to protect her from the other Jinn and those who would try to harm her...because our Ari has a deeper secret that even she is unaware of! He confuses her, intrigues her and leaves her baffled by her new feelings for a boy who isnt Charlie.

I picked up this book and refused to put it down until 2 am in the morning, even knowing I had to be up early for work the next morning (boy did I pay for that-but it was totally worth it!)

The characters are fantastically written, as well as the plot lines and the sub plots and the twists and turns, the backstabbing and betrayal, the double crossing and cruelty. It all kept me rivited to my kindle for hours and hours and hours. Ari is beautiful and brave and caring and strong. Charlie, though we are led to think of him as a bit of a loser, definately tugs on the heart strings when his troubles are revealed, though we are kept guessing all the way through about his intentions when he suddenly snaps out of his downer. And then there is Jai, my favourite character in the book and one I could not stop drooling over. He is a dark, brooding male with a troubled past, a father he hates and brothers who are...well...knobs. But underneath that he is strong and passionate and, my personal opinion, more on Ari's level than Charlie could ever hope to be.

The story is paced well, keeping you in suspense but allowing humour to seep in and relieve the tension every so often. I connected with Ari from the very begining and literally bit my lip every time she was in danger, hoping Jai would come to the rescue....but Ari is no damsel she has her own set of
skills...powerful ones.

Then came the ending! A great cliffhanger and lots more about the characters to explore. I have a feeling this trilogy is going to leave you guessing until the very end. It is going to be full of ups and downs and twists and turns and I am going to love each one...In fact, the moment I finished this book, i bought the second.

This is a must read for everyone and anyone!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Smokeless Fire is a book that has decided to go against the flow of vampires and werewolves and go into the less well-known subject of the Jinn. It was wonderful to read about something different and as Ari learnt about who and what she was, so I learned about the Jinn too.

Jai is a cracking character who already has so much substance to him but will also continue to grow. He has a dry, sharp wit and proves that he is capable in a crisis.

Charlie is a character that I felt sorry for to start with and understood how Ari would stand by him but by the end, he was annoying me and I completely agree with Jai's feelings regarding him.

Ari is the main female, caught in a triangle with who she feels she loves because of their history together and who she would like to find out if she a future with. She also has to find a way to deal with all she learns about herself and the Jinn.

A good storyline, told with an even pace and good characters to build upon. Well worth the read and the rest of the series have been placed on my wishlist.
on 5 February 2014
Stumbling upon the book by accident, I decided to give it a shot and must say that I am pleased with this decision.

The book was well-written and had a unique flair to it which I enjoyed, the introduction of the characters were well done and I felt like I was learning a lot about this whole other world without feeling overwhelmed with too much information.

My only complaint fell with the characters, I could not get emotionally invested in them which is usually the most important part of a book for me. Aside from Jai, I could not pick one character that I really liked.

I did feel that it became a bit too rushed near the end with some of the more action packed chapters and I struggled to keep up but at the same time, I enjoy when a book does this as it helps me get more involved and feel more empathy for the characters.

I purchased Scorched Skies at the same time and am currently working through this one as I have enjoyed the first in the series, eager to see how this all ends.
on 15 April 2013
So this book has been on my kindle for well over a year and boy am i glad i finally got round to reading it.

Ok, so I am so on team Jai.

Don't get me wrong but Charlie in this book acts more like a dufuss, only really being there for Ari when he realises what's at stake and possibly even more what she can do for him. It seems that Charlie has an ulterior motive, especially after being so excited to hear that myths can be true.

I like Jai. The emotionally troubled Jinn (though I think he would take offended at being called that). Jai does his best to keep his distant from Ari, but we all know something is bound to happen between them.

Ari is a strong individual who is just looking for the acceptance from her dad, then her world is thrown into chaos. Not only is she not human, but she is an object of power that could win the war between the ruling Jinn and their father.

A story well told and I can't wait to read the second book.