5.0 out of 5 stars Superb but...
... this album is going to have a lot of teething problems.

Firstly, as has been the way with most of Coldplay's work: The album is very much unlike their previous stuff. Don't get me wrong, the album shares many parallels with all of their previous material. However, it's different enough that fans coming here expecting a remake of [Coldplay Album Name] WILL...
Published on 26 Oct 2011 by Patrick Løye

3.0 out of 5 stars A good slice of Coldplay ... but with reservations
Coldplay's set at Glastonbury this summer bought home to me just how good this band are. No U2 pretence; just a bunch of guys who enjoy what they do and are very good at doing it. Whether it's Chris Martin on the piano or their fantastic drummer (who reminds me of Animal from The Muppet Show!) bouncing his drum kit off the floor. The new songs they played like 'Charlie...
Published on 29 Oct 2011 by John K. Gateley

‹ Previous | 1 2 349 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars I WILL NOT BE RUSHING TO PLAY IT AGAIN, 5 Dec 2011
FastHand (Harefield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mylo Xyloto (Audio CD)
It's ok and that is about it. If I had heard it playing without knowing who it was then I would never have guessed it was Coldplay. There are no memorable tracks and it is much too much over produced reminiscence of Phil Spectors wall of sound. There are no lovely ballads, maybe I've been spoilt by their classic "Fix you" which was spell binding. I did'nt hate it enough to want to stop playing it, but at the same time I certainly do not feel excited enough to play it again. As one other reviewer stated it feels as if it was rushed out to keep the army of fans happy as they will buy it anyway just as I did. Sorry lads not one of your best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great music - but let down by the lyrics, 18 Nov 2011
David Bradshaw "hassleddad" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mylo Xyloto (Audio CD)
I really wanted to like this CD, but I'm still feeling disappointed even after listening to it a lot. Of course the music is good - I've no quibbles about "over production" (blame Brian Eno?). But with a few exceptions, they lyrics are a let down.

These are songs after all - so the words should have have some meaning on their own, and they should be interesting, and they should stand up to repetition, indeed even get better. I suspect the band may have known the lyrics were weak - there's rather too much of Chris Martin going ooh-ooh-ooh, aah-aaah, la-la-lala-la-lala and whoo-oo-oo, more noticeably so than on other CDs. Surely a classicist like him could find more inspiration?

Yes I know, many current song lyrics (even the ones worth listening too) are highly repetitive and sometimes trivial. But - call me an old fogey with justification! - songs are supposed to carry emotion, and the words should be a central part of that.

2.0 out of 5 stars What's wrong with those producers??? Distortion everywhere...., 11 Dec 2012
Music compression!!!! Music compression!!!!

Please do not buy those badly produced CDs.

With such high compression why they don't release those songs only in mp3 and save so many CDs???
SHAME on those guys decided to go this (modern) way....

It's the same thing when you refuse a good restaurant with good food because of bad waiters....

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Album / Bad Production, 24 Dec 2011
This review is from: Mylo Xyloto (Audio CD)
There are some great songs hidden away in this noisy wreck of an album. It doesn't even sound good on an Ipod. I'm not writing this because I like spreading the bad news, just in the hope that Chris Martin is browsing and bears this in mind for the next album (or even a properly mastered future reissue?) I like Coldplay and I care about music, like everyone on here, so please no more eardum busters.

3.0 out of 5 stars I want to love it, maybe I will, but not at the moment..., 30 Oct 2011
This review is from: Mylo Xyloto (Audio CD)
After listening too a string of summer festivals and hearing a few of these new album songs, I was very excited for the albums release. As an avid Coldplay fan, having seen them live, owning all they're previous albums and on a rampage trying to collect as many singles and rare CD's as possible, I was crazily awaiting this release.

Upon first listen, it is rather enjoyable. However, it's over produced and has way too much going on, this can be easily spotted once the original excitement has worn down ! When you first hear Hurts Like Heaven, you struggle to actually realise that it is Chris Martin singing ! This said, you can really get your feet tapping too this song. Alot of the songs have a very up-beat tones, something which I think Chris has been yearning too do for a long time. With a little less production and less pointless noise going on, the album could be very good.

Above said, I find it hard to recognise a song which stands out from the crowd, there's no "Yellow" or "Fix You" type song which evokes emotion.

I wish Coldplay would get rid of Brian Eno. He is taking them down a Pop/Electric route and its doing nothing for them. "Princess Of China" is a fine example of this, Rihanna's prescence is competley un-necessary. Viva La Vida had faint traces of older work but also twinned in with newer, more experimental work. It was an album I thoroughly enjoyed, yet still lays bottom of my favourite album list from the band. But now they're pushing the boundary too far. They should settle with a style they can pull off.

I found it hard to listen and enjoy, I find it hard to write this review because I simply can't find anything truely bad, nor truely fantastic about it. The closest thing which comes to anything from the old days is "Us Against The World" a song which I cannot take a liking to, atleast not at the time of writing.

I may be being a bit sour, It generally takes me 10+ more listens before any Coldplay album becomes enjoyable. You need to know and feel the lyrics before they can get under your skin. So hopefully it will grow on me and the rest of the world, because it has great potential, but sadly at the moment, i'm not feeling it like when I first heard Rush Of Blood To The Head or X&Y.

3.0 out of 5 stars I am afraid they will never be able to recreate ..., 4 Aug 2014
This review is from: Mylo Xyloto (Audio CD)
I am afraid they will never be able to recreate "Parachutes" or "Rush of blood to the head" but it is O.K. listening.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pop Songs, 29 Oct 2011
K. Mcauley "Seedeeman" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mylo Xyloto (Audio CD)
Though I've only heard this album once I can already state that this is a big disappointment. I have all of their previous albums and like them all - a lot. Perhaps with the exception of 'Charlie Brown' this album is a collection of mostly characterless pop songs that sound as if they may be tracks that weren't quite good enough to make it on to some of their previous albums. Because I've liked their previous albums so much I will listen to them a few more times, but sadly I'm not optimistic that I'll be changing my mind any time soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent 5th studio outing, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Mylo Xyloto (Audio CD)
A decent 5th studio outing for Chris and the boys with lots of radio-friendly hooks on tracks such as 'Paradise' and 'Charlie Brown' as well as several well-executed, slower reflective songs. If you enjoyed the energy injected into the band by the influence of Brian Eno on the 'Viva La Vida' album of 2008 then I think you will probably enjoy this as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The land of chalk drawings, 27 Mar 2012
This review is from: Mylo Xyloto (Audio CD)
Described by The Guardian - rather loftily, I thought - as a "flimsy" concept album portraying "profoundly unconvincing feral youth", this wasn't a CD that I was exactly falling over myself to get hold of. Also, what I'd heard of Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends didn't work for me at all.

Anyway, I picked this record up recently and after multiple listens what can I say other than that it's brilliant all the way through. Now, I don't pick over lyrics studiously - but it doesn't sound all that much like a concept album to me. There may a theme running through it but it's not held down by plot, leitmotif or overblown rock opera pretensions.

As for it being an unconvincing portrayal, the production's too obviously sci-fi for this work to be let down by not being the next Ken Loach. And I'm glad about that. If I wanted social realism, I'd not've bought an LP with the artwork Mylo Xyloto has on its cover, for a start.

What this album has going for it - in bulk - is decent tunes.

Standouts for me are

Hurts Like Heaven - solid, colourful pop, great chorus: "You use your heart as a weapon/ and it hurts like heaven"

Charlie Brown - nice intro, great vocal performance from Chris Martin: "We'll run wild/ We'll be glowing in the daaaaark"

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall - anthemic - almost bagpipe music

U.F.O. - great, great song. Acoustic.

Don't Let it Break Your Heart - if I was editing this album I'd have made this the closer: "Even in your rains and shadows/ still we're never gonna part"

All in all this is Coldplay doing what they do best - big hearted, uplifting, and a lot of fun. It's an 8.7/10 from me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavily compressed, even on vinyl, 25 Oct 2011
This review is from: Mylo Xyloto [VINYL] (Vinyl)
The recording is awful. It's very loud and just sounds like noise. The vinyl sounds like it was recorded from an mp3 player.

‹ Previous | 1 2 349 | Next ›