5.0 out of 5 stars The garden birds love this seed
The 'no-mess' bird seed I had been using, whilst a good seed mix, also had a lot of dust and in the wet conditions in the South West of England, went to a soggy mess in the seed hanger. I therefore tried 3 other producers. One was useless, another was OK.

Published 8 months ago by Andy

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish
Published 19 months ago by Jaksenpollock

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: Peckish Complete All Seasons 2kg. (Garden & Outdoors)
I bought this seed for the birds on the ground who can lose out if you only use suspended feeders. First problem was that I started getting sick siskins, 5 in total, which eventually died. On researching this I found that this can be caused by salmonella and the symptoms certainly fitted. Birds were sluggish and lethargic and would sit on the ground with their feathers puffed out. They could hardly fly and the next day I would find them dead. I have noticed this with siskins in previous years but I generally get 1 a year not 5 in they space of a few days. I have to add at this stage that I observe good hygiene by regularly cleaning feeders and the mess underneath. I also move the feeders around to help prevent contamination.

It would be unfair to suggest that the seed caused salmonella and I am not suggesting that here. I read on an American site however of a theory regarding de-husked sunflower seeds and a poisonous mould growing on them which appeared to be causing similar symptoms for siskins in America. Needless to say I stopped using the food and have had no more fatalities. This mould it said, was not present in sunflower seeds with the husks on.

The other reason for this negative review is that I am a keen gardener and try if possible to use seed which will not germinate due to the problems of it growing and causing me weed problems during the growing season. The package states: ' Seed husks have been removed to prevent any of the seeds from germinating and creating unwanted mess and weeds'. I had plants in my electric propagator which I was bringing on early and decided to have a little experiment. I planted a small amount of the seed in a pot of compost, put it in the warmth of the propagator and lo and behold about 10 days later I had a healthy crop of seedlings from the supposedly de-husked, non germinating seed.

I realise the first reason for stopping using this product ie. the dead birds, has no scientific basis it could merely be a coincidence, albeit a suspicious one. The seed germinating however, indicates a fault in both the process and the quality control and for me makes all the other claims on the bag suspect.

We buy these products on trust thinking we are helping the birds without really knowing the effect they may be having. They fly away and it is impossible to know if the food is doing them good or harm.

I will buy no other products made by this company.

5.0 out of 5 stars The garden birds love this seed, 8 Jan 2014
Andy (Saltash Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peckish Complete All Seasons 2kg. (Garden & Outdoors)

This Peckish mix was loved by the birds (mainly sparrows, tits, finches and robins), had a reasonable mix of seeds and very little dust. The birds were always on the hangers and It was eaten within 48 hours. Yes the sparrows particularly threw out some of the seed, most of which was caught in the tray and eaten by the birds as the container emptied (but didn't go soggy). The seed that did drop on the ground didn't germinate and was eaten by ground feeding birds, particularly wood pigeons and collared doves.

I particularly liked the pouring spout which allowed filling of the seed hangers without have to use a scoop or making a mess.

An excellent general seed mix at a reasonable price and loved by garden birds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 3 Aug 2014
PPS076 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Peckish Complete All Seasons 2kg. (Garden & Outdoors)
Peckish Complete All Seasons 2kg.

Reason for buying:
I decided to buy this product because the different types of bird seed that I had tried previously did not meet the desired standard.

Ingredients:
Kibbled Wheat, Red Millet, Safflower, Kibbled Maize, Sunflower Hearts, Whole Naked Oats, Flaked Naked Oats, Pinehead Oats, Red Dari, White Millet, Kibled Peanuts, Oyster Shell Grit.

Birds Reaction:
I have found that the number of visiting birds that come to my garden has increased and I have less wastage on the floor which showed that the product worked very well. Although the food is meant to attract a significant amount of different birds to your garden, including new birds,I found that the same birds returned but more often (Robins, Song Thrush, House Sparrow, Blue Tits, Wild Pigeons, Bullfinch etc).

Design:
The design of the bag is different to how you usually find them, instead of being a sealed unit that you have to re-seal yourself, it comes with a crew on lid that penetrates the bag which makes it much easier to pour and close.

Storage:
The manufacturer recommends that you should store the product in a cool dry place and use within 3 months of opening.

Verdict: Highly Recommended

Feedback:
If you wish to provide feedback on this review then please follow the link below.

Thanks

3.0 out of 5 stars okay, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Peckish Complete All Seasons 2kg. (Garden & Outdoors)
I think my birds prefer peanuts. This lasts 3 times the length of the peanuts and has seemed to go mouldy!
I love the pouring bag just a pity the birds aren't't raving over it.

3.0 out of 5 stars not a patch on Alan Tichmarsh seed, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: Peckish Complete All Seasons 2kg. (Garden & Outdoors)
Birds made a real mess of the lawn as they seem to pick through it and discard a lot of seed. The only birds to eat the leftovers are starlings and even they have left a lot on the ground. Wouldn't buy again

5.0 out of 5 stars Variety suits all., 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Peckish Complete All Seasons 2kg. (Garden & Outdoors)
Whatever's in this mixture the birds love it, so much so that I'm having to ration them to a certain amount each day or I'll soon be bankrupt!!

5.0 out of 5 stars bird seed, 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: Peckish Complete All Seasons 2kg. (Garden & Outdoors)
well my daughter has taken it for her office window feed box, she tells me the birds love it eaten very quickly

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: Peckish Complete All Seasons 2kg. (Garden & Outdoors)
Good quality food, not like cheap feeds with poor quality seed that you get in supermarkets and other cheap shops

5.0 out of 5 stars Provencale Birds, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: Peckish Complete All Seasons 2kg. (Garden & Outdoors)
Because all the birds that eat this type of food ate it so fast I had to order another 2 kilos. It was extremely popular

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, handy resealable bag!, 10 Mar 2013
Miss R. Wood "Roz Wood" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peckish Complete All Seasons 2kg. (Garden & Outdoors)
I have tried all sorts of birdseed and have to use a bulldog clip to keep the bag shut after opening. Excellent product. I wish squirrels and fat pigeons didn't like it though!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Peckish Complete All Seasons 2kg.
Peckish Complete All Seasons 2kg. by Westlands Horticulture Ltd