VINE VOICEon 2 June 2011
This is the sequel to the fabulous 'Runescape - Betrayal At Falador' (see my Review for that title) - and it does not disappoint!

This book gets straight into the story - and unlike many sequels I have only attempted to read; all the characters are immediately familiar from reading the first book. I remembered who everybody was. The main thing being that all the Writer's characters have so much more 'substance' than many I find in this particular genre. For instance; whenever a character is absent from the scene, it is sorely felt, and one wonders constantly where they are, and when they will reappear. This was particularly evident when Kara-Meir is heard of - but not present in the few opening chapters. I was 'intrigued' by this and wanted to find out what had happened to her, and if someone was really impersonating her - and more importantly why! There are some surprises in this book, and it is anything but predictable.

One thing that Readers may find different is perhaps the style; much of the dialogue is in 'italics' which is reminiscent of characters' 'thoughts' rather that utterances. At first I was rather 'thrown' by this and thought it was just a small portion, but it plays a big part in the way the narrative is written. Once used to it, it becomes very effective. Some people may like it - others may not according to taste.

One of my favourite chapters was the eighth, where the Lady Caroline and Lady Anne meet Kara-Meir, I was wondering where this was going at times. This may be a good opportunity to say how strong the female characters were, in what is an otherwise male-dominated genre. There's certainly many differences you will find here in this second book, and so those expecting to find only the usual 'repetitiveness' - be prepared to be pleasantly surprised, and you will be delighted to see that this is all new!

This sequel is also full of atmosphere too - which for me was one of the main facets I was struck by wuth the first in the series. This comes out most when Gar'rth is telling of his escape from Jerrod - this part will have you hooked! (it was actually thundering here where I live whilst I was reading this portion which only added to the thrill!)

Tom Church proves here that you don't need constant battles and action (though it has its place and does feature) in order to keep Readers interested. I'm usually very critical of this genre, as many Writers seem to depend upon it, but I can find little fault with this very talented Author.

Roll on book three!!
on 26 November 2011
I enjoyed the first book a lot, even the simplistic style of writing. The sequel "Return to Canifis" is a good follow up, I did feel that the author lost some of the engagement with the personalities that was so strong in the first book, this meant that the characters felt slightly weaker. Having said that, it was still a good read, the writing style has improved overall and the author has left the reader eager for the next book.
on 24 August 2011
Another Great book made by a great Author.

There was never a moment while reading this book I wanted to put it down. It kept me reading and reading until the end. Well worth buying, I highly recommend this to any one (Read the first book first though!).
on 1 February 2016
didnt enjoy that much if am honest.
The game itself have gone downhill and not worth playing anymore.
World of wardcraft is by far better
on 5 September 2013
Delivery was within the time (average/slow). The spine had 6 creases which is far from "undamaged".

The book itself was a good read as a sequel to 'Betrayal of Falador' however you better be prepared to get the third book as this one has less of a conclusion in comparison to 'Betrayal at Falador'.
on 20 July 2015