5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent EP, 10 Nov 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Friends Of Fall (Audio CD)
I think this is an excellent EP. I tried it because I liked Aoife O'Donovan's album Fossils, but found it slightly over-slickly produced and I wanted to hear some of her earlier work with Crooked Still. I am very impressed.

There are seven tracks here with a bluegrass feel about them. Some are original tracks and there are also covers of the Beatles' We Can Work It Out and Paul Simon's magnificent American Tune, both of which work extremely well in these performances. Crooked Still are a terrific bunch of musicians and they play these songs with real skill and obvious and enjoyment. The disc has a sincere feel about it without being over-serious and I find the whole thing extremely enjoyable. There's fine variety, great instrumental work, some lovely harmony (which isn't overdone) and Aoife O'Donovan sings beautifully; her slightly breathy, aetherial voice works really well in this context.

This is a bit of class, I think, and is warmly recommended - especially if you like very good songs performed with real feeling and musicianship in a US traditional folk style.

4.0 out of 5 stars Premiere quality old-timey music with a modern twist, 29 Aug 2013
Mr. D. Macfarlane "dmacf14" (D&G, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friends Of Fall (Audio CD)
Pretty decent outing by one of the best young bands keeping traditional music in the US alive and fresh. Make your own mind up by listening at [...]

Friends Of Fall
Friends Of Fall by Crooked Still (Audio CD - 2011)