on 6 July 2013
This is a useful standby torch / light source. Just don't expect too much as you really should be spending £60 plus for a serious bright light. However, the nice white LEDs should mean that batteries last for a long time and the torch will work when needed. The beam is better than a similar torch with a bulb.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 October 2014
I bought this as a present, and it worked well, but when it was returned to me to fix a year later I a nasty surprise when I opened it up and a nasty liquid ran out leaving a trail of damage as I ran outside with it. Even my patio slabs are stained permanently. Yes, it had probably been left on accidentally running the batteries down, but I thought the days of leaky batteries were long gone, since the invention of sealed alkaline ones. Apparently not! The insides were damaged beyond repair - springs and copper tracks all dissolved away! Fit alkaline cells or check carefully before it runs flat.
on 11 July 2014
both torches have cracked at the opposite end to the lens,this happened within a fortnight of getting them I think the cases are too week,so am disappointed with the purchace.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 March 2015
This is my second RAC Heavy Duty Lantern light, the first one was
unfortunately borrowed or "liberated" by a friend who did not
return it and then when questioned said that they had lost it !

I find it all that it claims to be, if you quibble a bit about
just what "heavy duty" actually means. Does it mean it can cope
with rough handling? Or that the batteries last for a long while?
I find it robust enough, if you do not drop it too often.

The 13 LEDs give a good enough beam of light for most car related
tasks, however, I tend to keep it handy for power cuts, which can
occur at the most inconvenient times.

Just as other reviews state, it is supplied with 4 cheap looking D
cell batteries, but contrary to one reviewer, I find that it does
take a 6 volt lantern battery, even though there is no mention of
this in the Instruction Leaflet.

I purchased a Bossman Super Heavy Duty 6v-4R25 lantern battery at
the time I ordered the lantern, just to qualify for free delivery,
but will have to see just how long it lasts. It has an Expiry date
stamped on the bottom of 10/2016. If you use the RAC product with
a lantern battery, then the longer life batteries are
usually more cost effective.

It works well enough for me.
It does what it says in the advert.
I give it 5 stars.
on 20 March 2012
This lantern was bought to replace the traditinal lantern which while still functional uses the large lantern batteries which are inconvenient both to buy and dispose of. This product has excellent illuminating properties and uses D batteries in an internal fitting which replaces the lantern battery. The LEDs are very much up to the job and it has proven to be a good buy. My other experience of an RAC LED torch has been excellent in that the batteries far outlast a similar torch with a standard bulb. I hope this contines to be the case.
on 10 February 2014
First of all I want to say I completely agree with the review left by "Tufty". I was attracted to this torch not so much because of brightness but because it uses 4 D cells, so should in principle be able to last an extremely long time given the high efficiency of LEDs. Well, that's the principle--in practice, though, this torch has all 13 LEDs wired in parallel with resistors for current limiting, so it dissipates about 2W in total, half each in the LEDs and the resistors. (My unit had a measured operating current of 380mA.) Needless to say, this is not great electronic design; in addition to half of the power being wasted, not only will each of the LEDs end up with a different brightness (depending on their forward voltage, which is not a controlled parameter for LEDs), but the lantern will become unusably dim before the batteries are actually fully discharged.

I modified my unit by rewiring all the LEDs in series (not that easy to do!) and adding a step-up constant current switch mode power supply (for this I used the Linear LT1073 chip). It now dissipates 1.5W in the LEDs (i.e. brighter than it originally was) and a negligibly small amount of power elsewhere, and drains the batteries completely flat before noticeably dimming. I estimate this would take ~20 hours continuous operation with the original batteries or ~40 hr with better ones, e.g. Duracell Ultra. The reason I mention this is that there is more than enough room in the housing, and including the extra electronics would not incur a significant extra cost if done in volume, so I say to RAC--please consider a more sophisticated electronic design in the future. Even if the cost of the lantern would have to double, the extra lifetime would be well worth it.

Despite these criticisms, it is a decent torch for the price if you don't mind replacing batteries semi-frequently. It'll definitely last much longer than those small ones with the AAA or AA cells, anyway.

Important final note: the switch is NOT water resistant. Mine broke in this way (internal corrosion?), although was fixable with the application of some WD-40 and repeated switching. Other than the switch, the torch does seem pretty splashproof.
on 29 October 2012
Arrived quickly and in good condition. The product description indicates a 'neat gift box', other than the regualar product packaging I didn't see a gift box. But either way, the torch is very bright and gives a good spread of light to see where you are walking in the dark. LED lights tend to be a bit washed out when it comes to intensity compared to normal bulbs but this torch doesn't seem to suffer these problems. It is quite light weight and relatively robust. My only complaint would be that it doesn't have a built in charger to keep the batteries topped up. It will be interesting to see how long the batteries actually last.
on 13 March 2014
Bought this for my Father for Christmas, as he wanted a good torch for his car kit. It works, but to be honest I have a small torch from a supermarket which has just one LED which is brighter than this torch despite it's bank of LEDs & it's huge batteries. The build quality seemed very creaky and loose. I bought this item due to the RAC brand, which I thought would mean quality. This is not the case! There are much better torches available at similar cost in my opinion.
This provides light as good as any of the 1 million candlepower lights that I have used, except this runs on ordinary D cells (four are supplied, so you don't need to add onto the order).

A good stable light and lightweight.

The only downside seems to be that the batteries do rattle around inside the case, however this doesn't stop it working fine.

So good that I bought a second one for the car.

Recommended.
on 8 January 2014
Really is an outstanding performer lightwise, and if the batteries last as long as some say you cant go wrong at the price. Currently (Jan 2014) 20% off RAC breakdown cover inside.

Amazing light for LEDs but it's a spotlight not a normal wide beam torch which is a bit of a pain when walking. It also doesnt sit in the hand very comfortably, the light naturally falling at at your feet in front of you which is a real shame, though you can add a wedge to the handle which helps it sit better in the hand. It is quite flimsy so could probably do with some wrapping in duct tape in case of the odd fall so it offers some protection. It's almost as good as my previous 1million candle power 6volt torch, but that only lasted 15mins on a charge at a rapid rate of decline in power. Grab this while you can it's a dream come true.