5.0 out of 5 stars Good things come in small packages
Excellent product, very portable and works extremely well. Great price too - why pay more for one with bells and whistles. I highly recommend this wee beasty.
Published 8 months ago by Eric Stephen

3.0 out of 5 stars Small, compact, functional, poor cable
Using a laptop, I am constantly battling for more storage space. I already have a collection of external hard drives, but the bulk of the units plus their power cables is getting a bit much.

As a result, I opted to try a drive that is USB powered, and smaller in size. The STOR.E basic was the cheapest I could get at short notice.

First impressions...
Published 20 months ago by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Good things come in small packages, 18 Aug 2013
Eric Stephen (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Product, 20 Nov 2012
I had purchased this Toshiba hard drive to use with my new laptop.
I was nearly did not buy it due to the reviews on here regarding the cable.
However I did a price runner and checked out price and reviews and I can confirm Amazon was the cheapest but other sites had better reviews and nothing to indicate there would be any problems with the cable.
In summary I am not technical but the cable fits and works in both my USB2.0 slots on my old laptop and works faster in my new laptop with USB3.0 slots, so one cable fits all!!
Drive is of good quality as you would expect from a brand like Toshiba and would recommend the 1TB capacity as you would be hard pushed to fill it up with pictures etc in a hurry.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 29 Oct 2013
Gbparkinson (chorley,lancashire,england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba HDTB105EK3AA 500GB Stor.E Basics USB 3.0 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)
what an excellent little external hard drive this is, great size to fit in the pocket for taking around with you

5.0 out of 5 stars So useful, 16 Aug 2013
Amazing size and quality. Price was a real selling point. Might get another while on offer, so useful for long term storage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Nov 2013
Arrived very quickly and really easy to use. I would definitely recommend this if you are looking for an external hard drive

5.0 out of 5 stars 1TB does what it says on the tin, 23 April 2013
Worked off the bat will be using this for work and to back yup itunes, ordered Saturday and it arrived on monday

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Cheap, 20 July 2013
Hard drive is light and easy to carry and fit in your pocket. Will need to use the USB cable that comes with the hard drive as it isn't just a mini-usb to usb connector. However the cable is thick yet flexible and long enough for easy use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 Aug 2013
Super speedy via USB 3.0, faster access than my actual hard drive! Great price. Just plug and play no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect hard drive, 29 Aug 2013
This hard drive works perfect for my mac book. It is small, very quiet and its speed is very fast (apparently USV 3.0 works well). I strongly recomend this to every laptop user, in particular, who have a USB 3.0 port in it.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the money you get a good little portable drive, 11 Aug 2013
As the media server built in to my TP Link router is absolute rubbish (it only 'serves' a maximum of 3000 files [no indication of that anywhere in the literature either...had to contact support to discover that] I needed another solution until I sort out a decent NAS media server to stream my music library around the house. So I decided to look for portable drives that were quiet, small and and powered via USB lead so they could be left plugged in to the USB ports on the front of the Hi-Fis. In the end I purchased three of the 500gb Toshiba drives.

I was really unsure about purchasing these drives after reading some of the negative reviews here about them but took a gamble anyway.

The drives are very light weight, and the cases seem to be made out of a black polycarbonate type of plastic which feels a like it could be a bit fragile. However, sometimes this type of material is tougher than it actual looks and feels but I have a feeling that it wouldn't be a good idea to put it to the test...but that's a feeling! If you are a careful sort (I am) then I see no reason why this would be an issue. If you are transporting it about the place then either get a padded case or use the packaging that it comes in: the packaging is like a little inflatable 'lilo' sleeping bag.

The cable is fairly short, but I am glad personally as for my use a long cable would be a pain. The drive end is a combi USB 3/2 and power connector. When plugged in to the drive it doesn't sit flush with the face of the case. You will see the silver connector as it doesn't fully go into the aperture. This leaves it a little bit wobbly but on use this has not actually proved to be of any concern and doesn't disconnect when tapped or anything. I think I would just feel happier seeing something fully seated/inserted so there was no possibility of it coming out by accident but in use it doesn't seem to be a problem (touch wood).

Windows XP Pro recognised the drives instantly when I plugged them into a USB 2.0 port. First thing I did then was to turn on hidden files and folders in XP and delete the hidden resource folders on the drive. It is just Toshiba marketing stuff so of no importance whatsoever. Next I copied over my music library to one of the drives (150Gig approx.). Took a while (approx 2hrs and 15minutes...I walked away so I think it was about that). There is a white light that flashes above the cable port (on the top surface of the disk case at the rear) when the disk is being accessed. It remains constant when powered. It isn't minuscule and it is quite bright. I discovered that the drives fall asleep when not accessed and then the light goes out.

I made the mistake of not checking the drive format first. I expected them to be FAT32 but they are actually all NTFS so my Hi-Fis would not recognise them. So back to the computer and using a free program called AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition converted them all from NTFS to FAT32. Took 5 minutes each drive. Ran chkdsk on them afterwards to verify all was well and then tried in Hi-Fis again. Instantly recognised. Under a minute to load. Plays the FLACs without a hitch. Sounds great, and runs quiet as anything. Only annoyance (and it is a personal one because I loathe flashing LEDs) is the light flashing when it being accessed. I set the sleep timer on my bedroom Hi-Fi when I'm in bed and then turn out the light. The light on the Toshiba drive flickers quite brightly when playing music so I placed a little bit of black rubber over it and it prevents the light from getting out. I could stick a bit of black tape over them I suppose but don't want to gunk it up.

So far the drives have been running 30 hours continuously without anything bad to report. I felt them all earlier and they are only just warm. I was concerned that they'd run very hot but clearly not the case. In normal use they won't be on 24/7 anyway, I'm just running them in to make sure I haven't got a dodgy disk.

All in all I am very pleased with my purchase of these disks. The price was very reasonable as well. As it is so small, self powered and 'sleeps' when not used it makes some of my flash drives kind of redundant. Hopefully they'll last a good while but only time will tell. The flashing light is why I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars but as I said, I truly detest displays that can't be turned off and LEDs fitted to the fronts and tops of everything that flicker all of the time.

ARRAY(0xa7466648)