5.0 out of 5 stars Great storyline
Ewan is a genius at picking films that are obscure but intriguing, and this is one of his best - the storyline is heart-wrenching and beautifully acted!
Published 17 months ago by J. Goodyear

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, but might possibly be a load of b****cks
Several reviewers here and in the papers have commented about how realistic this movie is. I didn't find it so. I hope I won't be accused of "spoiling" it if I make these comments. An epidemiologist confronted with a serious neurological disease ought to have some intelligent comments to offer about whether this disease is caused by a virus or a prion or some other cause,...
Published 18 months ago by J0n G

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars intriguing and moving, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Perfect Sense [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this film as a family film night possibility, thinking it would be similar to "Contagion" which we and our teenagers enjoyed. However, this odd and somewhat surreal film is very different. We were surprised, having expected something very different, but all thought it was rather wonderful. If you are expecting the traditional storyline, scientist races to save the world from disaster, which is what we thought we were going to watch, then this might take some getting used to, but we were captivated. I imagine it was based on a short story and, if so, would love to read more by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great storyline, 9 Feb 2013
J. Goodyear "dark horse" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Frightening!, 18 May 2012
Sylvia Buseke (Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perfect Sense [DVD] (DVD)
I find this a great movie. Ewan McGregor and Eva Green are great in their roles as chef of a restaurant and a doctor in the local hospital. They meet and fall in love. An epidemic starts to spread and people are starting to lose their senses. At first, when the sense of smelling disappears, it even doesn't seem such an issue! But when the movie continues it becomes really depressing. It made me wondering how my behavior would be when one by one I should lose all my senses, ending up with no smell, no taste, deaf and worst of all.... Blind! Will a horror like this unite humans making the best of it or will it create hell on earth? This is a disaster movie which has far more impact than most million dollar special effects movies. Because it's so dammed realistic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Original and moving, 13 Mar 2012
S. Haddow - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Perfect Sense [DVD] (DVD)
Perfect Sense is a good film, but is probably a bit on the esoteric side for lovers of the apocalyptic. Having said that, behind the artifice of the film, the backdrop of society crumbling is very well handled towards the end. Some moments were a bit much - I'm thinking in particular of the moment where everyone eats whatever they can get their hands on, including candles etc - that was just a bit too daft and threw me out of the story for a while. However, although Perfect Sense appears to be aimed at an art house audience, while I am more of a Dawn of the Dead fan, I enjoyed this film a lot. Ewan McGregor in my opinion is far better in this type of ordinary bloke sort of role than in most of his hollywood outings and I really enjoyed watching him in this. I was not so fond of the actress playing his girlfriend - she was a bit on the annoying side. The rest of the supporting cast was solid. If you can go with the flow of the story I would recommend this, although it's not always a smooth ride. Will definately watch again. 3.5 stars upgraded to 4 because of the originality and emotional depth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing and weirdly beautiful, 2 Mar 2012
This review is from: Perfect Sense [DVD] (DVD)
Having long been a lover of anything to do with viruses/plagues, and currently studying microbiology at the Open University, I bought this, not really expecting anything that great.To be honest,I've seen so much horror over the years that it takes a lot to make an impression.These days it has to be over-the-top gore and splatter, or a really strong idea/emotional hook to register.
This film is a nice little oddity. Not gory at all, and with acting that is pretty good-apart from a couple of moments when I felt it threatened to fall into parody and I had to try not to giggle- and it left me feeling surprisingly emotional.
Whether the actual premiss is realistic is open to much question, but hey, so is the zombie virus!
Unlike male viewers who probably enjoyed it, I got a bit fed-up with the amount of breastage on show, and felt it was somewhat unnecessary.

The film suffered a little from not fitting comfortably into any particular genre, was it more a romance or horror?Or neither? The idea -that a virus could rob humans of all their senses- is so utterly horrific it hardly bears thinking about, but the film didn't really get into the harshest realities of such a proposition, and instead tried to concentrate on the possibility of a relationship offering some kind of hope.But I was left wondering about the 5th sense: touch...what if that somehow got taken away? The film-makers didn't go there, which is probably just as well because a darker, more hopeless existence is hard to think of!
It did leave me with niggles, but sometimes, flawed films have glimmers of something great, and this is one of them.

For a totally different take on the idea of being rendered without human senses, 'Senseless' offers something a lot more unflinching.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique and compelling, arty fare, 11 Jan 2012
This review is from: Perfect Sense [DVD] (DVD)
A very thought provoking low budget drama with an excellent cast making the most of a unique and interesting story.

Ewan McGregor plays a chef in Glasgow; Eva Green a doctor at the hospital. She lives in an apartment looking out over the yard at the back of Ewan's restaurant where he pops out for a smoke. They meet, fall in love and struggle together to come to terms with the real purpose of the story.

A disease is breaking out; slowly at first but it emerges that the world's population are losing their senses. First to go is the sense of smell, and it was a stroke of genius to have a chef in a leading role. How does he cope with not being able to smell the food he's cooking? When the sense of taste goes he has a real challenge on his hands, but if he wants to keep in business he has to evolve.

For me, the film dipped a little when the narrator took over to explain what was happening. Perhaps this was intended for the American audience, but I thought it was superfluous and lazy. The joy of the film is the sensual love affair between McGregor and Green (and there is a genuine chemistry there) amidst the gradual diminishment of the world's senses.

An added bonus for fans of the main actors is their desire to remove their clothes quite a lot. Beware cries from the audience of 'he nearly had my eye out with that!'

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank god this didn't turn into another zombie flick, 26 Sep 2012
This review is from: Perfect Sense [DVD] (DVD)
With apologies to any reviewer who's already made this point. Ewan McGregor was on fine form. But the main reason for watching this was because I stumbled upon it whilst searching for a song I heard in a fashion store and couldn't identify. I know I'll hear the song again, but it seems I was fated to see this movie, which I might have otherwise overlooked.

Comparisons have been made with Contagion. But my advice is to forget that and view this movie for the little gem that it is: a big movie on a small screen. For Killing fans, and anybody interested in all things Danish, the script was written by Kim Fupz Aakeson, who co-wrote Prague, which starred Mads Mikkelsen, brother of Lars, "Troels Hartmann".

I deliberated over the five star rating because some of it was a bit irritating. The opening scene where randy cook, Michael, played by McGregor, announces to his bedmate that he prefers sleeping alone is confusing. I ended up winding back two or three times to convince myself that this wasn't Susan, the scientist, played by Eva Green, who in the next scene is moaning about being let down by a guy. I was watching this film with somebody, so it wasn't just me being thick, as the other person didn't get it to begin with either. Once we worked out this wasn't actually the end of the film being shown at the beginning and its remainder a flashback, the virus takes hold, and it all makes perfect sense, in a way.

If this were a degree, I'd have been granting it a 2:1 for those quibbles and then upgrading it to a First after the completed viewing. It ticks all the boxes for me: sci-fi, love, friendship, comedy, drama; everything that constitutes being human. It makes its point without ramming it down our throats. I would love to see more British films like this being made.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Sense Movie, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Perfect Sense [DVD] (DVD)
An interesting story featuring my favourite actress Eva Green. if you like thought provoking art house cinema, you will like this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars How would you feel..., 23 April 2013
Matthieu V (Cambridge, Grande-Bretagne) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perfect Sense [DVD] (DVD)
How would you feel if you were stripped of your senses one by one? Where would your humanity be? This is a love story in an apocalyptic setup, but just don't expect gore or zombies.

After watching this movie, I realised how enjoyable and precious my senses are... it's a sure sign that the movie has an impact.

4.0 out of 5 stars Arty and chilly, 17 Nov 2012
tallmanbaby (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Perfect Sense [DVD] (DVD)
This film presents a very low key version of the end of the world. Centred around the growing relationship between a blank Ewan McGregor and a frosty Eva Green, it is enriched by good location shooting in Glasgow, which looks fairly post-apocalyptic to begin with and a decent Scottish cast.

There are no special effects to speak of, no army of CGI-d zombies running up walls, or helicopters to rescue the heroes. Instead the not particularly likeable couple build a relationship on fragile foundations, while the world crumples slowly around them.

With low expectations, this is a decent worthwhile film, better than Monsters, which took a similar non-genre slant on the end of the world. It is slow to get going, and the script veers from brilliance to tiresomely overwritten but there is a decent and thoughtful film in here. There is a fair bit of nudity, bad language, and some violence. Clearly a film for adults, but not unduly gratuitous.

Go in expecting a half decent tv drama and you will be pleasantly surprised, by the rather painterly approach taken.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Perfect Sense [DVD]
Perfect Sense [DVD] by David Makenzie (DVD - 2012)
4.75