5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Player for Music lovers
I'll just say that I'm very glad that I'm not a good review listener. This device is awesome. (Had Creative Zen and Zen X-Fi2 before). Sound quality is great, device by itself is very compact, bluetooth is working just fine. If you're
looking mp3 player with great sound quality then look no further. This little monster will gohna tear your ears appart ( in a good way...
Published on 22 Mar. 2012 by Victor

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!
Firstly, I need to say this review has nothing to do with Amazon whom I purchase products frequently. Unfortunately, I had this present purchased direct from Creative who have a computer say's no attitude to customer service and due to the product passing the 30 days prior to me receiving at Christmas, I cannot return.

The Player - My partner purchase me this...
Published on 15 April 2013 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Creative ZEN X-Fi3 16GB Touch MP3 Player with Bluetooth (Electronics)

The Player - My partner purchase me this product because I had a creative Zen previous which I was extremely happy. This new version is utter S***!!
The controls are temperamental at best and due to being touch screen, you have to look at the screen to operate instead of the previous little button which you could operate in your pockets.
The major problem with this product is the SOUND VOLUME. It is not fit for purpose in anyway. I tried to use in the gym but could still hear the internal gym music with the player on full. Also, I tried to use in the car with the jack lead and again, very quiet. Also, on my hi-fi at home, the volume could be increased to a point where you cannot hear someone talk normally.

I contacted Creative direct and was told the volume has been reduced deliberately in line with European regulations. I am left with a product worth £ 100.00 which I cannot return, do not want, frustrated to use and hopefully will get some money back on Ebay.

VERY POOR PRODUCT AND EQUALLY POOR CREATIVE CUSTOMER SERVICES!! DO NOT BUY!!

1.0 out of 5 stars This is rubbish, 11 Feb. 2012
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS. I've owned two Creative MP3 players and was VERY happy with them both. My last Zen recently died, after three years of trusty service and I wanted another, but they no longer sell that older model, so I bought this new Zen X-Fi3.

It is utter c**p. It's a step back in the wrong direction, with fewer features than before. The Bluetooth only occasionaly works, the scroll faciltiy is not intuitive, operation is clumsy and frustrating. The whole thing is poorly made of cheap plastic, it rattles and quite frankly, I can't be bothered to even send it back.

The much fabled "X-fi" system is no more than a simple bass boost. The so called "touch screen" is not (Only the scroll and select buttons) and takes forever to go through (the old Zen had an A-Z facility to speed this up) The screen itself is p**s poor resolution and the overal sound expirience is nowhere near as good as previous Zens.

Creative - scrap this player, sack your current design team and go back to your older models. This sucks!!!!! In fact, if you are reading this, get my details from Amazon and i'd be happy to give you a full rundown of just where it all went so wrong. Ive no idea how to make an MP3 player, but I could do a better design job than this

1.0 out of 5 stars Neat and compact but..........., 15 Jan. 2012
This is part of what I wrote after just under a week and I rated it at 4 stars -

'I bought this new Zen to replace one I have had for 5 years and really rated.
I was delighted with the transparent packaging box that provides useful storage to keep all the bits and pieces safe together, and which was easy to open! The player is great looking and quite small, and the controls responsive and easy to use. Sound quality was good once I had managed to plug in the head phones, which needed a very firm push to get fully into place.
The 'but' comes from my disappointment at finding that it does not have a book marking option!................... '

I have downgraded my rating now to 1 star after using it for a couple of months!! This player is driving me mad. It jumps to the next or previous book in my list when I am trying to move forwards or backwards within the book I am listening to. Often when I turn it on the data is jumbled and I have to turn it off and on again. The volume changes for no reason. the controls that I though initially where 'responsive and easy to use' can completely ignore me or over react!
And the lack of a book marking option is maddening! when I contacted Creative about this missing option they responded by pointing out that the book will always start where you left off! That is not good enough. When I listen to the radio, for example, I then have to navigate back to the book from scratch, searching through all my titles, remembering which part I am at and then when I get there, I dare not wind it back a bit to remember where I am in the story because so often it just takes me to the next title instead!!

I am totally fed up with it and am looking for a replacement!

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow, hard to use, out of date, 29 Jan. 2012
The positives:
- The sound quality is great

The negatives
- Must scroll slowly through every individual track/album to find the music you want. Great if you have 100 mp3's on the device, impossible if you have 10GB of MP3's on the 16GB device.
- Scrolling through the music is a nightmare - scroll through 20 songs, get a "please wait..." message, wait 5 minutes, scroll through next 20 songs, get a "please wait..." message........
- Touch buttons are a nightmare - always unintentionally pushing the wrong button
- Not a touch screen but still unusable in the pocket as no idea as to which button you are pushing. Literally 2 wrong clicks and you've deleted the track instead of moving to the next track. Not a touch screen but also no easy usable buttons on the device besides volume up and down. Worst of both worlds.

First ever MP3 player I've sold within a week of buying it. Last ever from Creative who seem to have regressed with this device.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with this, 8 Mar. 2012
Nicola Jarvis (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
The sound quality is amazing. It really is. The feeling of bass in my ears is just wonderful. I was simply on a high when I heard how good it was. But the fun stopped there, as I then added 11GB worth of music onto the device.

This is the first time I have spent "big money" on an MP3 player. I was constantly deleting tracks on my 8GB to make way for new ones, so I wanted a 16GB. This is, however, a problematic amount of space for this MP3 player as it takes ages to scroll through your music to get what you want. That's if the touch "screen" wants to acknowledge that you're touching it, which 70% of the time, it doesn't. There is no 'find' feature, and good luck making a playlist!

I battled to make a playlist using common sense techniques, none of which worked. So I bit the bullet and decided to read the instructions (I never have to do this usually), which I eventually found online. Wow. The hassle you have to go through to make a playlist is unbelievable. I still haven't succeeded. You have to enter every folder one by one to get the song you want to add and drag it to your music player (under certain conditions). That's fiddly in itself. Once done, it then wants you to convert the files to M3U format - it tells you how to do this with your current music player, but the instuctions did not fit my music player (WMP), so I couldn't do it. I can't describe how much this ruins everything for me as I have 3 hour drive to and from work everyday, so if I feel like listening to something else on my player whilst I'm driving, it's down right dangerous to do so as a) takes ages to scroll down to a different artist or album b) the screen hardly ever responds to what you want to do and c) everything takes so long to load. I'd have to pick it up and look at it for a long time whilst I am driving. That is no good.

But enough of the playlist. I imagine that's an unimportant feature for most. But even so, navigation as a whole is a complete failure. I have got so angry with it after a mere 10 minutes. What's the point holding 14GB (because it doesn't really have 16GB of free space) worth of music, if users can't navigate their way through so many tracks? I imagine this MP3 player could be okay if you have 50-100 songs on it (though still frustrating as the touch screen barely works) but 2000+ songs? Please, please don't waste your money. I can't believe how much this junk costs. Not worth the money at all. My battery is dead after two days usage, so that's seven hours. My cheap old Sansa clip is so much better than this, and that's the MP3 player I've gone back to.

I don't understand how somebody could create such a poor design for an MP3 player. They obviously don't use MP3 players themselves and thought marketing research was beneath them. I've given this a star for the sound quality (and the earphones they come with are pretty awesome), but there is nothing else to recommend it.

*Update* Five days after purchase, the touch screen stopped working completely. Took it back and got a full refund. Glad to have got my money back, as I resented paying so much for such a rubbish device.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Upgrade, 19 July 2013
What a shame - unresponsive and awkward to use. Good that there are more formats playable though. It is sitting in a drawer while I continue with mi brilliant X-FI2

2.0 out of 5 stars Hardly used and already frozen twice, 18 Sept. 2013
After only a few uses this MP3 player froze twice and I had to wait until the battery ran out before I could recharge it and use again! I'll be sending this back for a replacement - I hope this is a one off faulty one, although I have had similar problems with a previous Zen Creative MP3 player. Not what you'd expect from a £100+ player.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't warrant 1 star..., 10 Jan. 2013
C. White (Wellington, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
Interesting tripping onto this product review. I purchased the 32gb version of this MP3 player last year and it has died.

User interface as previously mentioned is sub optimal - scrolling through every album etc is painful. I also found that after in desperation thinking that having the player do a random selection that the first song was randomly "chosen" and thereafter I only got songs starting with a number or the letter A-C. This was acknowledged and I was told to wait for a firmware upgrade (which didn't eventuate...).

A genuine Transcend 32gb micro sd card was freezing the player and I disgarded it after I was told that it wasn't on the supported list (no moving parts in a micro sd card - and I presume those non moving parts probably come off the same assembly line.

The reset button is a hole in the side of the player which when you actually insert something into enables you to freely poke through to the other side of the case - goodness only knows what damage may occur when you do this.

Everytime the player needed recharging it appeared to conduct a re-indexing of the content - so it took a time for the player to be ready for use (despite doing the housework actions suggested by Creative).

Creative advised they were going to replace the MP3 player so I sat and waited for a few months before asking what action was being taken. Only after another month of email traffic did they state that I needed to return the old one for testing before they would send a replacement. That is ok - if they had bothered to specify that from the off. I had intended to return the broken player in the replacement's packaging (which I told Creative by email).

So - as per other reviews below, don't bother purchasing one of these. I had a Nomad Zen 60gb player which was a gem for several years before giving out on me so I was quite happy to be loyal to the brand.

I have subsequently purchased a Sony 32gb player. It is lovely - it does what I expect it should.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disapointed, 26 Nov. 2012
I bought this because I had a zen previously and loved it but it got stolen. Looked around to replace it with the same model but it was discontinued ages ago and so I went for the supposedly improved version.This model does less than the previous zen, is unbelievably slow,locks up if you put a lot of music on.You can't select music easily like on the previous versions.The controls are too small and unresponsive. Apart from the sound which is as good as you might expect from Creative I would say this is a complete waste of money and very overpriced for a very limited player. In the end I transferred the music to my Samsung phone and just use the MP3 to play on Random selection.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Creative MP3 player ever?, 23 Jan. 2013
Other reviewers have mentioned the negatives. They include - playlist functionality being almost non-existent (as an example predecessors had Windows Media Player Playlist .wpl compatibility), a low-res screen, plastic which scratches easily, a "touchscreen", very limited sound customisation options, laborious navigation through large numbers of files and folders, gimmicky "x-fi"...I've owned and loved various Creative mp3 players for six years (Creative 40GB, Creative Zen Stone 2GB, Creative Zen 32GB), and this is by far the worst.

It's a nice size, but that's about all it has going for it. I felt very short-changed buying this. There's a reason why it cost half the amount of some of its predecessors. I gave-up on this player after a month.