5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading,
A beautiful and tradtional story of magic, freindship & growing up. Adored by my children, loved by me.
Every school shelf should be stocked with this classic and every home shelf too.
When the trend for books is to 'gross out' young readers, this story reminds us that there is and always will be space for beautifully written well told enchanting stories.
Published on 22 Jan 2008 by Kate Aked

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow and Deep
Critically acclaimed as one of the most important and best books for children of the twentieth century and winner of the Carnegie medal, this slim book carries a lot of responsibility on its shoulders. interestingly I read it as a child and didn't like it at all, I now have to read it for a course, thirty years later, and I'm still not keen. I have now studied it, and...
Published on 7 Jan 2010 by Mrs. K. A. Wheatley

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading,, 22 Jan 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, classic story., 31 Dec 2001
By A Customer
All children should be given the chance to read this book. It was the favourite story of my childhood. It is a beautiful, haunting evocative story of childhood, growing up, adulthood and old age. It's also sad, in a happy kind of way, if that makes sense. It's a story of life. It's beautifully written, and a haunting evocation of a place, a garden, long ago - so powerfully drawn you feel you know every area of it - the nut stubbs, the greenhouse, the meadow, the sundial wall and the stream and so forth, that it comes alive in your mind - the old fir tree, that Hatty used to like to stand under in a high wind, and feel the roots "pulling like muscles" under her feet - so wonderfully drawn you'll not want to leave it's world. It's a part of my life, forever.
This is a true classic for all time. Buy it today.

5.0 out of 5 stars The magic garden of our past, 16 Mar 2007
Ann Fairweather (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tom's Midnight Garden (Paperback)
I read Tom's midnight garden first as a child, then much later as an adult. The delight and magic (and tears !) were exactly the same. This is a marvellous, touching story that just stays with you for ever. It is one of these very rare books that functions on several levels. First of course we share Tom's adventures nights after nights in the magic garden, but then after the heartbreaking, beautiful ending you know that the story reaches depths in your heart that few can. A powerful reflection on the past, its mysteries, how it vanishes and reappears...on time and aging... and so much more...Definitely not just for children !

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magical Midnight Adventure, 3 Jan 2006
Laura (London, UK United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tom's Midnight Garden (Paperback)
Tom is sent away to his aunt and uncles flat for the summer holidays. The flat has no other children living there or any garden. Tom is angry and alone there, what his uncle calls Tom's ten hours sleep,Tom spends awake in bed, until he hears the grandfather clock striking thirteen.The hour thirteen brings an escape to a magical garden with trees, a river,bushes, a sundial and a large lawn. Tom's meets people there and makes a friend called Hatty there do lots of thigs there. But there is a disagreement between which of them is a ghost? I love this book I think it's very hard to put down and extremely magical. It is probably my favourite classic book, as nearly all your questions get answered. Best suited for children age 8 and over....you just have to read this!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The original time traveller story and the best children's book ever written., 23 Dec 2012
K. Jones (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tom's Midnight Garden (Paperback)
First published in 1958 this is the consummate time travelling book, paving the way for the likes of Dr Who first seen just a few years later and all that followed right up to the recent 'The Time Travellers Wife' which is inadvertently a grown up take on Philippa Pearce's classic. Tom's travel back in time from present day Britain (although actually the 50's it's not identifiable as such) to a Victorian Britain is also a delightful introduction to bygone eras and period literature. Essentially the story is a collection of adventures had by an ordinary young boy sent to a relative while overcoming illness and an orphaned Victorian girl Hatty in the garden of her relatives extensive Victorian country estate. While Tom believes he visits every night, For Hatty the visits can be weeks, months or even years apart. When we first meet Hatty she is very young, a good couple of years younger than Tom and with each visit we see she is getting a little older.

There is a reason this book is still in print and it's because this book is the best children's book ever written. The fun adventures of the two protagonists provide timeless amusement, the mystery behind how or why Tom seems to travel through time provides suspenseful intrigue and the overarching story of Tom and Hatty's developing friendship and how it helps them cope with their respective difficult childhoods is moving beyond belief. Don't for one second think this is a girls book, boys too will love this story, Tom travels in time and gets up to all sorts of mischief -what's not to love? It is a book that's text heavy with only a few black&white illustrations so best for a confident reader aged 7+ but it works beautifully as a read-aloud story with perhaps a chapter a night before bed so no child need miss-out on this beautiful tale.

I read this book as a child, some 30years after it's initial publication, and it stuck with me. Nothing else has made me appreciate how fleeting our lives actually, how important other people are in our to us or how we are all basically the same regardless of what generation, class or culture you come from. I revisited this 54 year old book recently and it has lost none of it's charm. I ended the book in tears of happy sadness just like I did as a child. If I had the money I would happily buy this book for every child in the UK, all 14 million of them because I believe this book is an essential element of childhood.

Can you tell I quite like this book? :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, captivating and ultimately very moving, 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: Tom's Midnight Garden (Paperback)
I didn't read this book as a youngster but remembered seeing the 70s tv version. I didn't really know what to expect, but as I enjoy reading classic children's literature I thought I'd get it.

It really is an incredible book and throughly deserves all the accolades that have been heaped upon it. I found the quality of the writing to be taut and extremely controlled, the author knows exactly how to conjure scenes for full impact. One of the best things about this book are the numerous small vignettes and mini adventures in the garden: the bow and arrows; the bible; the geese; the named trees- one really lives the experiences with Tom and Hatty.
The standout moments are at the end of the book. The moonlit ice skating as they journey back on the frozen fen river was so haunting and vivid, the scene will stay with me; the shadowy meeting with Barty and then forwards to the incredibly moving moment when Tom realisies he has been denied the Garden and his wild calling out to the indiferent Hatty. And then, of course the ultimate meeting.

This is just about as good as a story book gets, if the ending doesn't move you somewhere deep inside then I can't imagine what would.

Read this book, you deserve it

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and exciting story, 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: Tom's Midnight Garden (Paperback)
What an amazing book. I remember loving it as a child and so bought it to read to my 8 year old son at bedtime. We couldn't put it down and loved every minute of the exciting and beautifully written story. It will live in my memory as a wonderful shared experience with my son, especially moments where we snuck off to read extra chapters in the day! We both cried towards the end and I would list it in my top ten books, beating many of my favourite adult books. I can't recommend it enough to read to a child and loved the simplicity of the time described, when a boy is desperate to play in a garden, particulrly as our lives are so filled with computer and television screens today.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic that has stood the Test of Time!, 30 Aug 2004
Chrestomanci (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
When Tom's brother becomes ill, Tom is sent away to stay with his aunt and Uncle. To his great dismay, he finds that they live in a block of flats without a garden. Then, one night he cannot sleep, and thinks he hears the old grandfather clock in the entrance hall strike thirteen. He creeps down to check - but when he reaches the hall, he finds that there is a huge and beautiful garden behind the flats that he wasn't told about. But there is something peculiar about it; for a start, the people he sees there are all dressed in Victorian costume - and no-one, except for a little girl called Hattie, seems to be able to see him.
Are Hattie and the others all ghosts? Or is Tom a ghost himself, visiting a real world? Or is he time-travelling back through time when the clock strikes thirteen? Tom becomes obsessed with his midnight garden, wanting to spend more and more time in it - but with every visit Hattie grows a little older. Time is running out.
An intriguing tale; mysterious, atmospheric - and enchantingly written. The ending is genuinely moving. The modern-day segments of the story seem a little dated now, but in a time-slip story this really doesn't matter. A classic book that has stood the test of time - a true childhood favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 10 yr old opinion!, 1 Nov 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Tom's Midnight Garden (Paperback)
I am 10 and my Mum bought me this book.
It is very interesting, and each page makes me want to read more. I read a chapter every night before I sleep. When I lie down then I imagine myself exploring the Midnight Garden. I think other kids would like this book too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom's Midnight Garden, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Tom's Midnight Garden (Kindle Edition)
A wonderfully moving story which I think should be compulsory reading for older primary age children or younger secondary. It gives such an insight into times past without judgement. Having said that I have just read it in my 60s and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tom's Midnight Garden