on 12 October 2014
Its a great pan, good value, well reccomended. And the many 5 star reviews echo this.

But I want to talk about how to cook with it to achieve a perfect non stick (better than teflon) surface. Using this, or any bare, uncoated pans.
The reason being that there are reviews which say you can't cook eggs with it, or that things stick, that you still need those horrible plastic, toxic coated PTFE/PFOA teflon pans.
The truth is they are not at all necessary. They chip, peel, start sticking, can make vapours that are toxic to some pets, leach poisonous chemicals into food, and when they are no longer nonstick they end up in the bin with the other millions of old teflon pans in the landfill sites.

To be able to fry eggs, make omelettes, scramble eggs, sear meat and fish, make pancakes etc etc with zero sticking, this is my way. I'm a professional chef and this is the way I do it. I'm aware there are other ways and some people's methods/wording are very useful, BUT there is lots of 'bad' science going around and confusion or conflicting information often results and the food welds itself on until chiselled off or you give up with stainless steel. And I don't want you to use a poisonous teflon nonstick pan ever again. You don't need to fill the pan full of litres of oil. And I wouldn't reccomend seasoning the pan in an oven either, as this often vapourises the oil and leaves a rough residual black surface behind that is good to prevent corrosion in iron pans but isn't particularly non stick.

So, take a clean, empty, bare metal (uncoated) pan. Stainless steel is my preference. Get it very very hot. If its not hot enough this process will fail and food will stick horribly. Hot enough is when a few drops of water flicked onto the pans surface skid around in balls without steam (the leidenfrost effect - see youtube/wiki)
Then pour in some cooking oil. Just enough to coat the pan's surface and sides as you swirl it around. Equivalent to only about 3tbsp. Continue heating the pan for 30 seconds. Then pour out and discard the excess oil. The pan is now seasoned, and ready to cook with. Food wont stick whether you cook on high or low heat - as long as this seasoning process has been completed. Keep the heat quite high to sear meat, or drop the heat lower and wait a minute to cook more delicate foods. You should find that you dont need more than a tiny bit of oil, but a little is often helpful and enhances heat transfer, or some butter if cooking on a medium heat or lower, as it may burn.
The seasoning process must be repeated after cleaning if soap and water is used. Often just some kitchen paper is adequate. It also will need repeating if boiling of a sauce/water or deglazing is done in the pan, as it can carry away the oil that sits in the metal's pores.

Videos demonstrating this process are on youtube.
Happy cooking :)
33 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2013
I've been using this pan since January of this year and didn't want to jump in to reviewing it too soon, as I have been - if you'll pardon the shocking pun - burnt by bad pans in the past. I can happily say that this is the very best pan I've ever owned.

I'm an enthusiastic amateur cook and I've been cooking to a reasonable level of dinner guest satisfaction for about 20 years now. As my skills have improved and I've become more adventurous, I've increasingly felt the need to use better kit in the kitchen. The one thing I'd never managed to get hold of was a good quality heavy duty pan at a good price. And I didn't want non-stick as every non-stick pan I've ever owned has eventually disintegrated - in other words, the coating has started to wear away and of course this invariably ends up in your food. Not nice.

So, I wanted a stainless steel pan with a heavy base that conducted heat well, cooked the food evenly, could handle being flung into a hot oven if need be for roasting, and felt reassuringly well-made. This pan is that pan. With a bit of care after washing and drying it - all I do is very lightly wipe a dot or two of olive oil around it with a bit of kitchen towel - it stays in very good condition and if you use it properly it is as non-stick as any non-stick pan without the annoyance of the coating eventually coming away.

A word of warning - it's heavy, so if you're not the strongest around the wrists and arms it may be a challenge for you. From a culinary point of view of course, this is a good thing. The heavy base conducts the heat superbly and results in even heat coverage across the surface.

Second word of warning - it has a very long handle, which if you ARE strong of wrist and arm is also a good thing, but will not be what many of you are accustomed too.

Basically, this is not really a domestic pan - it's a chef's pan, made for the trade. But chefs use these because they work brilliantly, and this pan certainly does that.

Almost a year of using it almost every day has now passed and it's still going very strong indeed. I would strongly recommend this to anyone who is serious or getting serious about their cooking.
on 4 February 2013
I decided to change all my Teflon pans with steel after reading an article about how dangerous Teflon is for health if you have even a tiny scratch. This pan was for a very good price and it does the job perfectly. I was worrying before that the food may stick to the pan when it's not Teflon but little olive oil does the trick. Would recommend it everybody.
on 3 June 2012
I was a bit skeptical because of the price. Other pans of the same specs are being sold for £60, so I assumed there had to be a catch. The day it came I tested it out by making caramelized onions, and they turned out perfectly. The pan is a great multi-purpose skillet.
on 16 November 2013
This just arrived, nice and quick after ordering so I used it for this evening's dinner. Nice weight to it. First off I seasoned it - now I gather this is a controversial issue; do you need to season a stainless steel pan or not? I did some research and was persuaded that I should; that seasoning it would make it non-stick and I wouldn't need to add oil when cooking. So I heated the pan for about three minutes on med/high heat, then added cooking oil and made sure I coated all the inner surface of the pan. Then I let the pan cool and tipped the oil away. After that I wiped the residue oil over the cooking surface of the pan with kitchen roll. Hey presto - seasoned!

Now for cooking. I heated the pan for two minutes and added two steaks with no oil. Didn't touch them or move them about. After a couple of minutes they had browned and were not stuck to the pan anymore. Turned them over and cooked them 'til done on the other side. Put the steaks on a plate, added some wine to the pan to de-glaze it; this cleaned up all the food residue and made a great gravy which I poured on the steaks. Pan was virtually clean by now, but after a great meal I washed it in hot water without soap and it's now clean, if a little less bright than it was, and put it away. No complaints, no cooking oil needed, non-stick and I expect it to get better and better over time, as long as I don't use soap-suds!
on 9 April 2014
This item is a solid frying pan which should last a lifetime, it is heavy but that is part of the quality feeling and can be used under the grill etc. The downside to the frying pan is that the handle can get a little hot so beware.
on 21 July 2014
I am trying to get away from coated pans,as they do not last that long and also for health aspects.
I used the season method - heat pan with frying oil until it smokes. Allow to cool, wipe out with kitchen towel.
Do not wash with washing up liquid. It seemed to make it pretty non stick.
I tested with an omelette, there was a slight residule left and I just wiped out with warm water, and it came up fine.
Quality of the pan seem good for the money, nice solid bottom stops twisting.
Not found it too heavy (although it's not the lightest)
on 2 June 2013
To be honest I wasn't expecting this pan to be brilliant, but it certainly surpassed my expectations. It is a good, solid weight, excellent quality and a bargain price too. Very happy with my purchase!
on 24 December 2015
I'm disappointed to see one stars for this pan when the only issue is about sticking. If the pan fell apart (unlikely) then fair enough. So, for everyone else who is thinking about buying this pan... do. The pan is really easy to keep clean. You can use those green Scotchbrites or a Brillow (something you can't do on a non-stick pan), though most of the time a washing-up brush is all that's necessary.

How do you stop it sticking?
1. Take your clean pan and place it on the hob several minutes before you need it.
2. Turn the hob on to just a tad above medium heat (NOT FULL POWER) and allow the pan to warm up. You know when it's hot enough by flicking a wet hand at the pan and the water sizzles off.
3. Add a splash of oil and allow that to warm up.
4. pick up the pan and move it about to allow the oil to coat the surface and a little up the sides of the pan.
5. Take pan off heat and allow to cool for a while.
6. I usually take a piece of kitchen roll and mop up the excess oil, which sort of acts like greasing a baking tray.
7 When you're ready to use add more oil or not, but...DON'T WHACK THE HEAT UP FULL!!!

Cook on a medium heat and turn down or take the pan off if it starts to get too hot. Do sausages in the oven and bacon under the grill. I use the frying pan most of the time and yes, occasionally food sticks to it. Usually because it gets too hot. I had an expensive Le Creuset non-stick frying pan which I threw in the bin in the end because food stuck to it like sh*t to a blanket all the time and the black stuff started coming off. Then, to add insult to injury, I couldn't scrub it!

YouTube 'how to make a stainless steel frying pan non-stick' And remember... you have to do this each time you need the pan.
on 26 April 2014
Excellent pan. Can even use it for pan cakes without them sticking to the pan. The trick is in seasoning the pan with a bit of butter before you fry the first pan cake. Otherwise meat, fish or vegetables fry really well. Other good properties are equal heat distribution and quality of build.