5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond the Celtic Cross
Published on 28 Dec 2009 by L. Hampson

2.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting more from this book
Published on 26 Sep 2010 by TheShopaholic

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond the Celtic Cross, 28 Dec 2009
Having long been a fan of Paul Hughes-Barlow's website Supertarot and more recently of Catherine Chapman's blog TarotElements I eagerly awaited publication of this book and I haven't been disappointed. I haven't ever really been a fan of the Celtic Cross Tarot spread although I can see that it is very useful so I was interested to see what was beyond it, as this book promised on the cover. The technique described takes a Celtic Cross reading and then re-reads it using the card counting techniques which are adequately illustrated. I had tried several years ago to learn this technique but couldn't really "get it" but the way that Paul and Catherine describe the steps in the book, made it much easier to understand. So I then tried this method with an actual reading for myself. The Celtic Cross spread I laid out was OK but a bit ambiguous in places and I didn't gain much insight from the interpretation. I then re-did the spread using the card counting technique and the reading came to life and made absolute sense - I was amazed and so pleased that it actually "worked".
I was going to describe this book as not one for beginners but then I thought "why not". There is something for all levels of experience to learn in this book and a beginner could do a lot worse than learn these techniques from the start. Also explored are the rules of Elemental Dignities, card pairing methods, Elemental bases and the power of the Aces.
The journey through this book opens up new experiences of interpretation and insight to take Tarot readings to exciting new levels.I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone wishing to further their Tarot learning experience.

2.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting more from this book, 26 Sep 2010
TheShopaholic (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I bought this book because as a professional reader I had reached a point where I seemed to be hitting brick walls with some readings and intuition was failing me. I had noticed that i had started using the cards in very much an unconventional way (spreads were no longer of use and were extending beyond their standard parameters). I was free-wheeling and using my intuition more and layouts less. I started to pursue the idea of non-positional layouts and embarked upon a journey to learn the technique of card-counting. I found extensive and detailed information on the author's website and when I found this book which came with high recommendations I decided it could be what I was looking for to expand my learning and add greater depth to my readings.

I have to say, I was severely disappointed. This book consists of an extensive and detailed dialogue between the author and a querent whose reading is analysed and interpreted from many facets with respect to the card-counting technique. I quickly became frustrated as I tried to keep up with the change of direction of each analysis and constantly found myself reversing back a few pages to gain my grounding again. I had expected more detail on the techniques employed by the author to disect the reading with some example to illustrate its use, and instead there was little on the actual technique and just a constant dialogue of looking at the querent's reading from every conceivable angle. Now whilst it did illustrate that, by using card counting, you can really open up the reading and find so much more depth to it, I was left at a loss to really understand where to start for myself and apply it to a reading of my own. Obviously it does not take a mensa member to work it out, it would have been so much more useful if the book were more of a reference and guide to the technique which could be used to learn it and apply it and perhaps as a standby aid to 'dip into' from time to time.

I do not feel that you can learn much more from this book by reading it more than once. I found the analysis to be over-laboured upon and had it been submitted as an essay for an A level subject I am pretty sure the author would have lost marks for this! For the price, I have purchased much better, easier to read, and more useful books on the subject of tarot. I am severely disappointed because I have followed the authors website, supertarot, for some years now and find it to offer very thorough, extensive and useful learning tools for the tarot including videos with explanations, extensive examples and information which is usually only ever found in books, but it is all FREE! I would say, stick to his website first, there are excellent pages for learning card-counting which will teach you so much more than this book and videos which you can watch to actually see the technique in action.

I am sorry Paul, but if it were possible, i would be asking for a full refund here!

4.0 out of 5 stars beyond the celtic cross, 24 Sep 2010
Mr. E. Hamer (lancs uk) - See all my reviews
i found the book an interesting read and enlightening
my one complaint is that the initial explanation about numbering and elements could have been broken down in a more step by step manner to facilitate easier following of the system the author is trying to explain.
he mentions counting often in the first few chapters but a little sketch showing starting point, finishing point would have made my reading experiences a whole lot better.
i feltfrustrated on the first few reading attempts i could have thrown the book in the bin.
i think the author assumes the reader has the same knowledge of this system that brought him to write the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars a must have, 9 April 2013
A clear and concise guide by an expert. A welcome addition for anyones book shelf. Check out other titles by the same author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced... yet!, 20 July 2014
It's a book that will need a couple of read throughs before it starts sinking in. I'm not sure of the effectiveness of the technique yet - I won't use it till I feel comfortable with it.