on 29 August 2012
it I an absolutely fantastic software for editing your videos. You can create some stunning special effects and control how the video looks. BUT after you spent days creating your master piece you only then realise there is nothing you can do with it. The software crashes every time you try to render your work!

I am a professional and as a professional I have to work to a deadline. I can not spend hours creating a stunning video with special effects only to find the software physically will not allow me to export the video with out it crashing. It's like making your dream car from scratch in a garage only to find the main garage door has permenantly jammed shut when you try to open it to get the car out!

I have just spent 36hrs editing a video for a high profile client only to find that 2days before delivery deadline that the software physically will not allow me to render the video into ANY format without crashing.

Unfortunately I had heard people were having problems with this software before I bought it, but just assumed they were doing something wrong or didn't have the right spec computer. How wrong was I :(

I totally feel like Sony is stealing from it's customers by releasing a "not fit for purpose" software! I have the latest release as well (as of writing this) and its useless.

If you are working to deadlines, don't just walk away from this software, run away!
on 27 September 2012
Originally I was interested in Sony Vegas Pro because of the masking and filtering effects the Vegas software contains, and the automated motion tracking. Sony Vegas Pro also supports 'Magic Bullett Looks' software. That was the selling point for me. Oh and also Vegas Pro is alot cheaper than 'Final Cut Pro'.

Sony Vegas Pro 11 has bugs. It crashes, freezes, and sometimes it does not play some clips properly (image appears jerky).

There is nothing wrong with my new laptop - Processor i7, 8 gb Ram, 2 terabytes of memory... etc....
There is an update from Sony (build 682) which is supposed to fix all the bugs.
Sometimes the features worked, then sometimes they didn't. I would close out a test project, come back later and try to do the exact same thing with the same video and the features I used before would not work.

I am currently using 'Sony Vegas Studio 11' which costs less than 50 quid. unfortunately Sony Vegas Studio 11 (which works perfectly on my Laptop) but it does not support the masking and filtering effects featured in 'Sony Vegas Pro', and the automated motion tracking. Sony Vegas Pro also supports 'Magic Bullett Looks' software but Sony Vegas Studio 11 does not....
on 18 August 2013
I've been using Vegas pro since v2 back when it was an audio program. I've tried the others and I do use this software in a pro capacity pretty much all the time.
It's true what other sare saying, it will crash when you least expect it to so save with each edit. Vegas has pretty much always been like this in one way or another, it's a quirky program but it can do wonders if you accept it's habits.
For those here who say it doesn't crash for them, believe me, the time will come with some update or some other bit of software you install and then it will drive you mad and you won't have a clue as to the cause. It happens to all of us users.

Vegas does not crash 'for no reason' like someone else wrote here, it crashes because something makes it. Something as simple as using a jpeg with massive resolution, monitoring audio plugins on the fly can do it. After a while, you recognise the signs and deal with it.
It would be great if Vegas didn't crash, but that's just how it is. On a PC, who on earth knows what can crash a program....and where do you even start to look?
So 4 stars for a 5 star program if it didn't crash.
on 10 February 2012
Vegas Pro 11 is packed full of great features, and is quite simple to use. Some great live and archived training webinars - however the software continually crashes when making changes to a project.

In order to have chance of completing even a simple project, you have to save the project after each and every edit/change - because you know it will crash - and it will be sooner rather than later.

I specifically brought Sony Vegas Pro 11 for the filtering and masking effects and the automated motion tracking.

Look at the Sony forums - the latest build 520/521 is horrible. Unfortunately this was my first build so I don't have a previous stable build to roll back to.

Be warned - complete rubbish - especially for the amount of money is costs.

Customer support at Sony is rubbish - they expect you to buy a support contract to get help - I expect for the money I paid, it should work without a support contract.

You can except most applications are not bug free and will crash during some strange conditions or when resources are running low - running an Win7 64bit, i7, 16G of RAM, with no other applications running, then resources are not an issue. But yet it still can't even manage a simple project.

I was expecting to be able to give this application 5 star - and maybe if Sony ever fixes the issue, then I will rewrite this review - but until then beware, it's rubbish.
on 15 September 2013
Sony Vegas is a great editing software programme to edit on. It is packed with features to create that professional production. I have moved up to version 12 since I purchased this.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 February 2012
I totally agree with the other reviewer - H. Pyett "Howie". I have the latest ( as of 13 Feb 2012 ) update of version 11 and its very buggy.

I guess mostly it works - and as it goes its an excellent video editor - I've been using it since version 8. I'm not a professional user - I just use it once in a while for home movies.

Version 10 was a little on the slow side but seemed pretty stable.

This version however is very temperamental even on my fairly high spec PC ( Windows 7 64 bit - 24gb RAM - 1gb of free hard drive space and a Intel 980x 6 core processor. )

It doesn't crash all the time - the problem is it takes you by surprise! For example I added stabilising using the Sony plug in it comes with. This added ok and rendered ok but the level needed tweaking - so I changed if from light to medium stabilising and it crashed!

Other crashes were during rendering. I rendered an MP4 file a few times - no problems. Changed something in the video ( added another clip ) and when I next rendered it crashed.

It kind of lulls you in to a false sense of security - as often its working for maybe 10 minutes or an hour and suddenly out of the blue it crashes!

Definitely strongly advise saving you work every 5 minutes to be on the safe side.

I hope this is something Sony improve.
on 26 January 2013
I have no idea why people are having problems with this great bit of software. I have had no problems with it what soe ever and my machine is not the most powerful machine around. Sure it struggles with HD a bit, but I use proxy video to solve that. Two of my mates uses vegas 11 both more than I do and have not problems, when is a professional video editor.

i am thinking of updating to 12.
on 3 April 2012
Brilliant software got plenty of titles to do for my youtube, (tom978100). works fantastic on my PC,not one crash as a see in other reviews. pc specs; i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 550ti 1GB, ASUS P8P67 PRO board. nothing better for the price.
on 2 January 2013
Sony Vegas is nothing more than a broken, half-made, cheap and OVER-COMPLEX system. It continually crashes, glitches and lags, as if it's deliberately trying to ruin your hard work.

Everything within this program is designed to be over-complex and tedious. Putting in a caption in Windows Movie Maker, for example, you click "Add annotation" and place it where you like and choose the size, colours and font of your text. Here's the Sony Vegas way: Import video, right click underneath footage, Insert video track, move mouse to new video track and right click again, add text media, you are then greeted by another confusing pop up with 1000 options of what you want the text to do, so you choose all the things you want like colour and font etc and place it.

Let me make something clear: THIS PROGRAM IS NOT USER-FRIENDLY EVEN TO THE EXPERIENCED.

To do ANYTHING in Sony Vegas I feel like you need to know some special trick of the trade to accomplish your goal. This shouldn't be necessary!

Even the features of Sony Vegas themselves are GLITCHED TO HELL. For example, in one of my videos, I wanted a sentence of text to hover above the head of a character, HOWEVER. Sony Vegas thought it would be funnier if when I'd animated the text to follow the characters movement, the video would glitch like crazy. The video was zoomed in, chopped up, showing different clips that weren't supposed to be there, ALL ON ONE SCREEN.

DO NOT BUY. You CAN make videos on this program, but it is SLOW, OVER-COMPLEX, FRUSTRATING and TEDIOUS. Buy a better program and save yourself the stress.
on 11 April 2012
Totally agree with other reviewers.

I upgraded to Sony Vegas Pro 11 and have had nothing but problems. It won't go for more than a few minutes without crashing.

I have a fast computer, Dell XPS with i7 CPU but still have problems.

Vegas pro 10 worked ok as did 9.