on 20 October 2012
Before I go into the review I would just like to give a little background about myself. I am a full-time web application developer and spend most of my time working with either JavaScript or PHP. I bought this book to enhance my skill set further, and I feel this book does exactly as it says on the tin. I am already very familiar with Object Oriented programming and I was concerned this book would go over concepts I'm already used to working with. Whilst some of the book I found taught me nothing new (no fault of the authors it has to be covered), the bulk of it really opened my mind in a positive manner giving me plenty of new ideas about how to write my own code in a modern and efficient way.

For the benefit of potential purchasers of this book I would like to explain in plain English what this book is and what it isn't. PHP Master is a book about concepts and theory for those looking to further their skills to a higher level. This book is NOT, I repeat not a 'How to program in PHP' book so please consider other Site-point books if your starting out your journey or after a book full of practical examples. I groaned when I read a previous review where that person was disgruntled because he/she considered it an arm-chair read...well yes that exactly what it is and no bad thing!

This book is about empowering you to write your own code a modern way, not to teach you programming. If you have moved on from being shown how to program and want to fine tune your technique this comes recommend.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2012
I started using PHP 4 and I learned PHP 5 on the road with a lot of confusions and misunderstandings.
It helped me understand PHP better while inspiring me using more up to date APIs and best practices.
I would not recommended to novice PHP programmers but beside then this book is a treasure!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse