on 6 June 2012
This is the second book by David Sakmyster in his Morphous Initiative series. After reading the first book The Pharos Objective I was hooked. I downloaded this book immediately after finishing the first one and was not disappointed.
I can sometimes lose interest in books and have found in the past that sequels are not always that great. This was different, Mongol Objective was probably more exciting than the first. David seems to have a talent for getting you into the story as if you are there. Great stuff and a brilliant adventure read that has you taking sharp intakes of breath, on the edge of your seat!
I cant wait for his next installment and I am waiting with baited breath to see what thrills he comes up with next!!
I downloaded these books on my wonderful Kindle!
on 3 May 2012
I absolutely got hooked on this book. It's fast paced, intriguing and very well researched - obviously there are times when you look up and wonder 'just how did we get here?' but in the end it really doesn't matter. Our heroes and heroines seem to be virtually indestructable and there's a great twist near the end which makes you chafe at the wait for the next book.
I would have given it 5 stars but reviews are a chance to be picky and there are a few typos, but they are certainly not enough to detract from a rattling good read.
I'm going to have a rummage through Amazon's list to find more books by Mr Sakmyster.
on 13 March 2012
Enjoyed the book but it took a while to get into the story. An Indiana Jones theme which works well and I would recommend it to others.
on 29 November 2011
I'll start with the good news for readers wondering about whether the sequel to the bestselling Pharos Objective is as good as the first in the series; it's even better.
Next is a warning: if you like to read your thrillers two or three chapters at a time and leave space for the plot to whirl about in your head - I'd get something dull and plodding instead.

The Mongol Objective is unputdownable. More so than the first, because by now readers are familiar with most of the characters who race from Antarctica, to Turkey, through Mongolia, to China and then to a crazy climax in Egypt - and are urging them on to victory against an increasing array of dark, shadowy powers whose schemes and machinations make the bad guys in the first book look like rank amateurs.

Written with the well-paced genius of trickery, oniony plotting (it zooms outwards every now and then and you realise what world-dominating plots are really at play), and brilliantly conceived traps and puzzles; the Mongol Objective is replete with new and cunning methods of killing the henchmen, putting the main characters in dire peril and generally keeping you hooked until the very end, where the final part of the Trilogy, the Cydonia Objective is prefaced with a huge cliffhanger, several `aaaah, so that's why they did that...' moments and a sneak into the past of the Crowe family.

As ever - Caleb Crowe is up against it, this time racing to rescue his son, abducted by a former colleague, the devious Xavier Montross. We also meet a vengeful old lover he thought long dead, several handfuls of cronies, an FBI Agent who is far more than she lets on, and a mysterious group of protectors, oh and some really shadowy characters pulling the strings from very far away and very far up the Power Chain. Aided by his sister Phoebe, their new Morpheus initiate Orlando, and from afar, his son Alexander - Caleb must use all his wits, courage and psychic power to outwit the raiders of the Great Khan's Tomb.

Hurry up with Book Three Mr S!!
on 12 February 2012
The first book is a story on its own and has a diffinitive end. So this picks up a few years later, it soon gets you gripped and each chapter leaves you wanting to know what happens next, getting totally lost in the story. There are that many competing factions and characters it would be impossible to give them very great depth, but that doe's not distract from the shear quality and imagivaty of the story. The one thing I would say is the book just ends on a cliffhanger and therefore if I had known there was a third to come I would have waited so I could read them back to back, as it is increadably frustrating waiting for the next edition and continue the adventure.
on 21 February 2012
I would have given this book 4 stars but I did not realise that it ended on a cliffhanger and so felt a bit irritated!

Yes, I know many of you will say that I should have noticed this from other reviews - but I didn't. What I can say is that this book is far superior to the fist in the series and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I suspended belief, suspended thrills and even considered suspending myself. The characters were well drawn, the plot was excellent and the surprises came thick and fast.

A very good mystery adventure let down, in my view, by the fact that it could not be read as a stand alone thriller.
on 27 January 2013
Read the Pharos project and found the plot and premiss to be original and entertaining.
The Mongol Objectives is equally a good poolside read however the story seems slightly padded which I suppose is quite commen within the trilogy genre, this can lead to the reader losing some intrest at certain points in the book. The story seems to have been well researched although it does slightly over focus on the factual relevance to the plot although I appreciate the hard work the author has put into the building of his story the balance seems a little off.
Overall though a very good read with twists and turns.
on 10 June 2012
As I have just intimated in the title this a good yarn in as one reviewer pointed out the Indiana Jones style. 2 issues most words are spelt with a Z and not a S and do the math should read maths do the math does not make gramatical sense. the book was good so you are forgiven. A cliffhanger how sneaky. I look forward to book three
on 7 January 2013
Having read the Pharos Objective I went straight onto the Mongol Objective and found it even more exciting than the first. Lots of twists and turns and full of historic background. A surprising ending which made me reach for my Kindle and start straight away on the third volume. Can't wait to see what happens next!
on 19 September 2015
. This story keeps going and doesn't get bogged down with the usual lovers stories that appears frequently in many other authors stories. It keeps well clear of the drivel many others use to fill up space.

I am now looking forward to the third book for its conclusion.