Sleeping Beauty [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£22.98+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 30 January 2015
After watching this, I was left with the question "Why?".
Is there a reason for this film to exist ?.
It's beautifully shot and Emily Browning both beautiful and assured in her role, but it all seems so aimless.
I suppose the thrust of the film is that you should ensure that you make the most of life whilst you are able, but it's made in such a bizarre and arcane manner.
This sounded an intriguing film but it really isn't the film i thought it was going to be.
An interesting but ultimately strange failure.
on 30 March 2014
This was another movie designed to showcase a now legal actress. The plot was slow but "artsy". The focus was very much on Emily browning, her acting and her body. Her emotions are very believable and you will feel you like her. No comment is probably needed regarding her body. She has a unique and desirable look. So fine showcase of Emily 5 stars. For plot by itself, 3 stars.
on 18 April 2015
A DVD for the very open minded. A particularly unusual story where a modern day Sleeping Beauty, played by Emily Browning, puts herself in serious danger in order to improve and survive her lifestyle. Visually creative and effective, some nudity. NOT a horror story as such with blood and guts, but a powerful story with a strong moral edge to it. Not for the faint hearted.
on 7 February 2013
It is the real dark side of the truth. It is soft flavour in my mind,for ambiance and dialogues, it is disarming, completely seducing.
Fantastic cast, opportune light on dark. Always more, till its natural ending, but it's just a new situation. A new part of life that every hypno - watchers need to envisage. It could be endless, couldn't it?
VINE VOICEon 21 January 2013
I think the description of this as vegemite (you'll love it or hate it) may be fair. Personally, I hated it.

The story is focussed on a young woman who is so alienated from her own body that she takes a job have tubes shoved down her throat for some kind of medical trials. From this she finds her way into a world of somnastic prostitution via lingerie clad silver service. The thing is, I know that Lucy is alienated from her body because I read the reviews and synopsis first. I wouldn't have inferred that from the film. I would have guessed she was just very hard up, listless and unhappy with a lack of self-respect (she also offers herself to various men in a way that suggests she just thinks she should rather than actually enjoying herself).

I didn't get a feel for any of the characters. Emily Browning does a very good job but the writing of her character just has too many holes. I know that was probably deliberate but it doesn't quite work. And some of the other actors (especially the old man who is a recurring client of her different services) are simply bad.

There are a lot of attempts to infer some deeper meaning from the various scenarios but these really all fail. The old man tells a lengthy story he read in a book given to him by his brother whilst Lucy lies asleep in the bed and I suppose that this is supposed to sum up the central dichotomy of something to do with not quite have sex with drugged women (penetration is not allowed for some reason) but it doesn't - it just means we have to listen to his tedious drone for a few seconds more.

There's quite a lot of sex mentioned so far and Emily Browning is a very attractive woman and is very naked in this film. And yet it is a curiously unsexy film. I think that is deliberate. What Lucy is doing should be seen as sad and dangerous not exciting and glamorous. It does mean though, that if Emily Browning naked is the main draw of this film then you've got the wrong film.

Perhaps I am being overly harsh by giving this a one star rating but I think that is because all the way through I had a strong sense that there was a good film in there trying to break out. It is always worse watching a film that could have been good as opposed to one that is just bad.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Sleeping Beauty is a fanciful `indie' movie about a girl, Sara, who has numerous mundane jobs as she attends an Australian university, but decides to take on some *ahem* nightwork as an inanimate object who sleeps alongside paying customers.

It's one of those films that leaves me wishing that I was smarter. I figure that way I'd like movies like this more.

Let's face it - it's different. It's different in the way it's shot, the way it tells it's story, the way the actors speak and are asked to perform and it's definitely not your average Hollywood output. It's an independent film which, if it's lucky, will achieve a cult following.

The dialogue is slow (if there is any at all), there is even less background music, it is filmed largely with one static camera shot per scene (scenes which tend to go on for longer than you might expect) and the actors all behave very aloof.

I have nothing against films that go against the `classic Hollywood narrative.' The film industry needs them. And I'm no prude when it comes to tackling sensitive adult issues on film. However, sadly, I have to come down on the side of those who thought this film was just simply boring. I know it tries to be shocking and different. I just thought it was dull.

It's basically one of those love/hate films. I've read plenty of other reviews on it and about half side with me, while the others praise its artistic merits and depth of film-making. That's fine. Just expect to either turn it off after twenty minutes or sit riveted to the end in admiration.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm now off to watch Bruce Willis slapping bad guys and giant monsters trashing New York.
on 23 January 2012
Having read great reviews for this movie and watched the trailer, I was looking forward to watching this movie very much so.

However, not only was it ridiculously pretentious (normally a pretentious movie doesn't annoy me so much, but this was really pushing it), and it wasn't that I didn't understand the plot or the movie, there was no substance to it whatsoever. So it didn't even earn the right to be truly pretentious. It tries to be shocking with its themes of sexuality, with lines such as 'your vagina will be treated like a temple', and scenes such as those where Lucy is made to match her lipstick colour to her labia. However, they are unconvincing and almost comical in their eagerness to shock, but they are placed without either reason or relevance. I am a fan of films such as 'Belle de Jour', so it is not at all the case that I find such films uncomfortable or uncouth, Sleeping Beauty's sexual themes were just really boring.

The acting was terrible. I have watched several of the actors in other movies, where they really have been good, and so it was odd that they should fail for this one. Although I suppose that for a film with no character substance, depth or development, it can be quite hard to be convincing.

The movie goes into pointless subplots, such as Lucy's friendship with Birdie. Nothing is explained or developed in them, they just waste time and are equally dull.

I think the worst part of the film though was the fact that it genuinely had such potential. The main ideas behind it, the declining male sexual ego, the young, beautiful student unable to discover what happens to herself... it could have been a masterpiece. However, they have been so badly put together, the result is a sloppy mess, I don't understand why the director is so eager to slap her name all over it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 March 2013
In the beginning Sleeping Beauty seemed to be a bit sleepy but actually it turned out to be quite interesting and even exciting. I like movies which make me think and this one belongs to them. Recommended!
on 2 March 2012
The story line for this film says" This experience starts to bleed into Lucy's daily life and she develops an incresing need to know what happens to her when she is asleep(drugged).

Well let me tell you this only takes place during the last 8 minitues of the film the other 90 is just like the first line of the intro " you will go to sleep..."

This is a definate case of buyer beware. How the critics can say "A joy to watch" "Stunning" "Elegant" and "Mesmerising and Hypnotic" beats me, I dont think we have waytched the same film.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This film is a tough one to call. It's a disturbing drama that we follow Browning through. This film is a truly acquired taste. The image is top notch and the audio is what you would expect.