5.0 out of 5 stars The first real Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy
Published on 9 Jun. 2012 by I. White

3.0 out of 5 stars Competent but repetitious
A useful book, but very repetitious and never gets to grips with detail of techniques of observation. Much of the material is a simple statistical analysis of the available data that anyone with limited knowledge and Excel could repeat from the exoplanet catalogue.
Published 13 months ago by Michael Charles Thorne

5.0 out of 5 stars The first real Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy, 9 Jun. 2012
I. White "snowy1234" (leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
I first came across the work of Dr Yaqoob when I bought his book on helping my son with maths (see amazon review). It was with some surprise that I came across this book when I searched his name to show a friend where they could buy a copy of the math tuition book for themselves. I decided to give this book a go as he has a very easy writing style and this helped massively with the maths comprehension so I figured - what the hell maybe he can help me understand what happening 'out there' too. Well I was not disappointed. Dr Yaqoob really knows how to talk to us 'not so clever' in a way that gets an understanding of the science across without the extremely intimidating use of countless Greek symbols and high level algebra that other science writers seem to wallow in. I could have asked for a few more pictures but, given the subject material, these would have to be 'artists impressions' so their omission is understandable. I particularly like the way that he will stop and develop ideas and concepts, which really gave it the impression of being a true 'guidebook' (I suppose this makes it one of the first true Hitch-hikers Guides to the Galaxay available). In reflection that is what makes it so good 'DON'T PANIC' could be written on the back cover as you are in safe hands.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read if you already know a little about physics, 15 Jan. 2012
Samantha (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Exoplanets and Alien Solar Systems (Kindle Edition)
I'm currently reading this book (about 70%) of the way through. This is an excellent read for anyone who already knows a bit about physics and has a keen interest in astrophysics. While the author says this book is written for the layperson, anyone without some knowledge already will probably have a tough time understanding everything the author talks about. The book tackles important questions and admits where current theories fall down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great companion to a new science, 19 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Exoplanets and Alien Solar Systems (Kindle Edition)
I have been interested in understanding more about the discoveries of exoplanets in the last 2 decades and have downloaded kindle samples of many books on this topic. Ultimately this is the one I decided to purchase first after I read the sample as I found that Yaqoob's writing was easy to understand for such a complex subject and very down to earth (pun intended). His honesty and non-biassed position in presenting the major problems in the current theories on how life appeared and how planets are formed is a great eye opener and just shows how much work still needs to be done in this field.
This book is definitely a great companion to anyone who wants to understand what is being published through the media which is often overhyped and lacks clarity on what is assumed and what is confirmed. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Competent but repetitious, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Exoplanets and Alien Solar Systems (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read. Well written by an expert in the ..., 8 Nov. 2014
A really good read. Well written by an expert in the field with a nice touch of humour. The book is also not afraid to challenge current thinking on planetary formation and migration. It also has excellent appendices to help you learn more and keep your knowledge up to date in this fast moving field of exploration.

Exoplanets and Alien Solar Systems