5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Piece of Equipment
Bought this due to my Sony Bravia flat TV having very poor sound. Chose this due to it having very good reviews and ordered it via Amazon from Richer Sounds. Ordered it the weekend before Xmas, not expecting it till maybe the new year with the Xmas period being so busy. To my amazement it arrived on Xmas Eve! 2 day delivery, excellent service.

So the unit...
Published 13 months ago by Tinkicker

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing sound
Published on 23 Dec. 2011 by J. Lazenby

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Piece of Equipment, 26 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Yamaha YAS101bl SoundBar System with Built-In Subwoofer - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

So the unit itself. The unit comes with an optical cable which I just plugged into the optical out socket at the back of my TV, plugged the power cord into the wall socket, turned down the TV speakers and switched on the Soundbar. It really is that easy to set up.
What a revelation. Rich full sound, smooth bass and crystal clear clarity. All of a sudden you can hear grass swishing under the actors feet as he walks across a field, birds singing in the background and every syllable of dialogue in the film. I have the sub turned up to one point less than max and this is perfect for me.
Absolutely amazing sound from such a small unit and I can't say it sounds much different to my old Technics Hifi.

Of course, surround setting is not anywhere near 7.1 or even 5.1, but it does make the sound much fuller and seems to widen the sound.

If you are expecting the sound of bullets whistling past your ears and ricocheting behind you you will be disappointed and you need a true home cinema setup. If you are an audiophile that pays £600 just for a pair of speakers and £1500 on an amp, this unit is not for you.

IF you are someone casually looking for merely excellent sound quality from your TV, rather than the absolute excellence for excellence's sake that a true audio enthusiast would look for, then be very prepared to be blown away with the Yamaha YAS101.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous bit of kit if I do say so myself, 23 May 2012
Fatboy (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have a Sony LED backlit tv and like most of these kind of tv's, they suffer from not spectacular sound due to the thin depth of the tv not allowing any speaker of size and quality to be installed inside.

Has the room my tv is in is not very big, I thought that the soundbar would be the perfect solution for me to be able to improve the sound that I am used to.

There are two ways that you can connect the sound bar to your tv. First is you can individually connect the separate devices up to the soundbar (which is the method I used). Secondly, you can connect either a digital coaxial or a digital optical cable (depending on what your tv has on) to your tv. For me, this connection method would only allow me to receive the lesser sound quality Dolby Pro Logic sound (I was made aware of this by the indicator light on the Yamaha soundbar). Your tv might be different and might allow you to receive a Dolby Digital or DTS signal direct from your tv from one of the devices that are connected to it.

So the connection method used was as follows. The BD/DVD optical port of the Yamaha soundbar, I had a optical lead connected to my Sony Blu Ray player. STB port, I had a digital coaxial cable connected and this went to my Sky HD + box. Lastly I had my Playstation 3 connected to the TV optical port on the Yamaha soundbar, so now I have all the ports filled up, but if in future I need to connect another optical device to the soundbar, then I would need to purchase a 3 or 4 in 1 out optical switcher which are readily available online.

The Yamaha soundbar is in a glossy piano black appearance which matches most modern tv's, it looks very nice indeed.

On the front of the soundbar are a series of lights. From left to right they are:

Input= This shows which of the connected devices you are listening to. The colour of the light changes, from green when you have the tv as the source, yellow for the STB (short for set top box), and finally red for the BD/DVD source.

Surround= This switches the sound mode from an extended stereo sound, to a realistically sounding surround sound effect using Yamaha's Air Surround Extreme, this uses Yamaha's technology to achieve a 7 channel surround sound with only front speakers, and it does not use walls to reflect the sound like some other systems do.

Clear Voice= This makes speech/dialogue more easy to listen to. On some films, when there is a lot of action such as gun fire, explosions etc, these can sometimes make the speech/dialogue more difficult to hear. But switching on the Clear Voice setting makes the speech stand out more to a great effect.

Univolume= Has you will know, sometimes when watching tv, the volume level can jump up considerably when the adverts/commercials come on. With the Univolume feature it stops this phenomena from happening.

Dolby Digital/DTS= This lights up green when you are listening to a source that is outputting a Dolby Digital or lights up red when listening to a DTS signal, such as a Blu Ray Player, DVD player, Sky+, Sky+HD, Playstation 3 etc.

Dolby Pro Logic/Dolby Pro Logic II= This lights up green when listening to a surround sound source of 2 channel stereo signal input.

Buttons on the front of the soundbar are:

Input= This allows you to choose the input source you are wanting to listen to. You can also use the supplied remote control to choose the input source too.

Volume + - This turns the volume level up and down. You can also use the supplied remote control to do this too.

Finally there is the standby button= This switches the soundbar on or off. Again, you can also use the supplied remote control to do this too.

Now I will be the first to admit, that a soundbar will not produce the same surround sound as a separate 7 speaker system, but let's face it, not many of us have the room to have 7 speakers and an amplifier.

My first impressions on the Yamaha soundbar were very very impressive.

I adjusted the soundbars built in sub woofer level to its maximum setting (this is done via the supplied remote control). You get an indication has to what the bass level of the sub woofer is by way of the colour of the Dolby Digital/DTS light, for example, green indicates a minus level, orange for a standard level (this is the default level), red indicates a plus level. Once you have reached either the maximum or minimum level, then further presses of the + or - sub woofer button on the remote control will then result in no appearance of the lights I mentioned earlier.

Firstly I put on some music channels on my Sky HD box. I was astonished has to how much better the sound quality was and equally so too with the bass level. Seriously, I've heard £600+ hifi systems not sounding this good. If you find that when you first connect your soundbar up and are trying it out that the bass level is not to your liking, then adjust the sub woofer level has I described earlier.

I was in two minds has to if the sub woofer in the Yamaha soundbar would be good enough to supply some serious bass, but I need not have worried. I cannot emphasise enough on what an excellent job Yamaha have done in the quality and choice they have used in the speakers and the amplification system they have used in their sound bar. I would be very surprised if anyone found this soundbar lacking in bass.

I next tried out my Blu Ray player. I chose the classic Italian Job starring Micheal Caine. I was again equally impressed with the sound quality. I could clearly hear birds, wildlife that I hadn't heard before when the quieter alp scenes of the film were on. The sub woofer done an excellent job again especially in the scene where Beckermans car crashes in the tunnel, the explosions were heard in superb effect thanks to the Yamaha's sub woofer. Also, I found myself enveloped in a wide sounding sound/surround sound, again thanks to the technologies that Yamaha have used with this sound bar. It's incredible to thinks that I was able to get this kind of wide sounding sound/surround sound from a unit that is only 35 inches wide.

On to my final thoughts now.
My requirements for purchasing a soundbar were, I was wanting to improve the sound quality I was getting from my tv, the Yamaha soundbar has done this above and beyond what I was expecting.

I was wanting to have a surround sound effect without the hassle and space of a separate 7 speaker system. Again the Yamaha soundbar has achieved this to my expectations.

I find the soundbar to be very good value for money, considering the quality and sound quality of it.

My advice to anyone wanting a soundbar and who isn't wanting or hasn't the room for a separate sub woofer, then go for this soundbar, my opinion is this, there is no need for a separate sub woofer when you can get sound quality has good as this soundbar. I cannot emphasise enough how good this soundbar is, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha YAS101 Soundbar, 20 Dec. 2011
M. Pearson (West Midlands, UK.) - See all my reviews
Like many folk who've bought a new flat screen TV, Samsung in our case, we were very disappointed with the sound quality. My first attempt to improve this was a low cost Philips HTC3020 5.1 surround system. Whilst an improvement this had several shortcomings. Wires trailing everywhere, the DVD player refused to work properly with TV, and speech was still not as clear as I wanted. The last point was the killer for me, as I have some hearing damage from industrial noise which makes speech hard to pick up against a noisy background.

As we didn't want the wires, and full surround sound was not a high priority I decided to look at sound bars as a possible solution. After trawling for reviews, and listening to demos I decided that the best price/performance compromise seemed to be the Yamaha YAS101. No-one seemed to be discounting these at all, so I thought I'd hang on until after Xmas to see if any appeared in sales. Then I spotted this at Hughes Direct discounted £20 and free postage, so thought let's get it before Xmas.

Hughes free delivery service included allowing me to select a delivery date. Their online ordering system doesn't however provide any despatch or tracking info, but the item arrived mid morning on the day selected, so no real complaints there. It would be good though if they did provide some delivery progress info as if you are out when delivery is attempted a re-delivery charge is levied, so you are forced to wait in even though you don't know for sure your goods have even been shipped. Hughes, please note if you read this.

The YAS101 was a doddle to set up, it just fitted under the TV on a free shelf, our TV has optical audio output so using the included optical cable it was up and running in 5 minutes. There is no base or treble adjustment, and with the TV speakers turned off that couldn't be adjusted from the TV menu, but this doesn't really matter as the soundbar seems to have the mix just right. Crisp, clear and distortion free room filling sound, without the excessive bass that annoys neighbours (we live in a terraced town house) or pervades the entire house. Speech is now far more audible, especially with the special speech boost setting enabled. Also love the uni-volume control which does a very good, though not perfect, job of controlling the volume jump every time the ads come on.

The only downside for some will be that you do not get proper surround sound, though with suitable sound tracks you get an impression of movement of sound. But if you want full surround sound you'll need a larger budget, and you will need a full 5.1 rig, with wireless speakers if you can afford them....

So for me this really has hit the spot, and managed in the end to get in at just under the £200 I'd originally set as a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most excellent - BUY!, 12 April 2014
Please note that my experience of the soundbar will not apply to people who have good hearing already, this is my story:

I am a 67 year old man with industrial damage to my ears, so I have been examined for and told twice.

I had two NHS good digital hearing aids about 6 years ago that are now no longer in tune to my hearing problems. I cannot use my hearing aids at all now and my hearing problems manifest themselves as hearing MUCH too much bass and NO treble. My TV is an expensive top of the range Samsung slim 40" LED tv.

SO, for years I have suffered from having to second guess most speech, worst on films and also on all channels. Turning up the tv volume was not an option as that does not work, it is trying to hear the treble and mid range frequencies that are my problem irrespective of volume.

This soundbar has increased my listening experience very considerably, and without my hearing aids, I have had to set the bass to zero and clear speech enabled (for now) I now find speech exceptionally clear and with a small amount of warming bass, and a surprisingly lot of audio information in the mid range.

I have at last got a new hearing test appointment at my local hospital on May 09 2014 and expect to get new hearing aids, then whoweeeee, I will reset my soundbar accordingly and hear all the richness I am confident and know it will provide

SUCH A GREAT AND UNEXPECTED QUALITY OF LIFE IMPROVEMENT.

BUY IT, just look at all the many many great reviews it has on Amazon, and I support all the positive reviews I read before buying it.

I am thrilled with it, and as for surround sound, no, it is not as good as having about 5 different wired surround sound speakers, but the funny thing is that I have had 3 experiences of my samsung galaxy s4 ringing, and the warble of text messages coming to my phone which I keep on the left arm of my chair next to me, only to find that it is a sound effect from a film I have been watching!

Tribal Fusion offer the best price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb product, 5 Sept. 2013
I have an older Panasonic LCD TV (2006), which has no digital audio output via HDMI, coax or optical, so I am very limited in connecting to Home cinema systems. Input to such systems can only come from my Sky box and DVD player direct from their coax and optical audio outputs.

Having reviewed many full blown Home Cinema systems as well as soundbar system, I decided on the Yamaha YAS101 soundbar, as I could not justify the more expensive systems for the size of room it was to be used in. This was based on the the size, ability to connect to my Sky box and DVD player, the many positive reviews and the cost.

The soundbar was delivered with 20 hours of being ordered, and was installed within a few minutes of arrival. Sky box connected via coax, DVD player via Optical.

WOW !!!! The sound is superb...... excellent quality all round. Even the integrated subwoofer bass is excellent.... despite some reviews to the contrary. I found by just turning up the subwoofer volume, the bass increased very well (hahaha). OK, the bass will not knock you off your feet like some of the more expensive systems, but you can certainly hear and feel it. Its also great to have some volume available at last as well! I also found I did not have to change any audio delays..... everything was perfectly synchronized without modification for my setup.

The features available are great as well, no more adverts at twice the volume of a program......... clearer voices......... and the surround sound function certainly spreads the sound and makes viewing/listening much more pleasurable. Its not 7.1, but hey, for the price of the soundbar its a superb sound.... and you haven't got all those extra speakers and cables all over the place.

I highly recommend the Yamaha YAS-101 soundbar. It is a high quality piece of equipment at a very affordable price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Budget soundbar but great performance, 17 Nov. 2011
First of all, I wouldn't buy this if I was looking to make a dedicated home cinema surround system for bluray. However it is a very good addition to a casual living room TV setup, and the lowest priced soundbar I've found with optical inputs.

I bought this to go with my parents' Sony KDL40EX723BU, which it must be said, has pretty good sound anyway (for a flat-screen TV). However this soundbar helps create more depth to the audio, filling the room with sound rather than making it obvious it's coming from a speaker under the TV.

Apparently it has a IR-relay to prevent the blocking of TV remotes when the unit is placed directly in front of a TV, however for whatever reason this did not seem to work on the unit I have, perhaps because the IR receiver is set quite far off to one side on the KDL40EX723BU. This is probably the main reason I'm giving it 4 stars rather than 5, as it's messed up my plans for putting it in directly in front of the TV. ***EDIT: I've now realised the instructions are printed incorrectly, for those of you with the same problem, try using the "+ volume" instead of the "- volume" button when activating the IR relay feature. I have yet to test its effectiveness since I've now placed the soundbar where it wouldn't affect the TV's IR receiver anyway***

Does it create a surround effect? Kind of. I wasn't blown away by it, although to be fair I was only using freeview HD channels to try and get more channels of audio. The unit loses another half star here. You will get a far better effect if you buy a cheap 5.1 system - but then you've got speakers and wires everywhere and hissy speakers, which I definitely didn't want. In terms of bass, I haven't really had anything extreme to test it out with, but considering most soundbars are criticised for being too 'boomy', this unit definitely does not have that problem.

Things that did impress me however are the fact it can 'learn' signals from your TV's remote for volume and power - which is great for my parents who hate having multiple remotes. Also the 'univolume' (stops volume jumping about due to broadcasting of different a programme/adverts) and 'clearvoice' features are a welcome addition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing sound, 23 Dec. 2011
I purchased this through Hughes Direct (whose service has been excellent). The build quality and looks of the product are excellent, and it fitted perfectly beneath my TV. It is easy to set up. I connected via the supplied (rather flimsy looking) optical cable and fed with a number of BBC HD broadcasts. Whilst the sound is undoubtedly better than my TV (which is a Philips, and as flat screens go pretty good anyway), I have to confess I was under-whelmed by the sound. I wasn't expecting surround sound for £200 (so hopefully my expectations were realistic), but for me (unlike many reviewers), the sound didn't fill the room, and the bass was disappointing (I wasn't looking for the earth moving rumble provided by a dedicated sub). To be fair my set-up isn't ideal - the TV is corner based and so one side fires into a set of curtains, rather than bouncing off a wall. My wife (no expert on these things) thought it just sounded as though we'd turned the TV up, and to be honest that wasn't far from the truth. In the end it was a fairly easy decision to return it to Hughes who have arranged collection for only £10.

I'd been really looking forward to listening to this unit over the Christmas period, but was very disappointed. If your TV is one of the new ultra thin varieties (with very limited sound capabilities), then this unit may well be a worthwhile investment. However if you're able to feed your TVs audio signal through a Hi-Fi in the room (as I can), I suspect you'll get as good, if not a better overall room filling sound.

Perhaps the moral of the story is that you simply can't do surround, (or even anything approaching it) for £200. I still like the sound bar concept, but don't think I'll be allowed to stretch to Yamaha's more expensive units which might provide the sound that I'm looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars A serious sound source!, 10 Nov. 2012
I'v got a vintage Sony 5.1 system but never really appreciated it as it didn't have the clear voice function and this is now important to me. I purchased a set of Sennheiser phones which are brilliant but anti social so have opted for a sound bar and WOW what a difference. I read all the reviews and the Yamahw Yas 101 came well up the list on most reviews and when balanced with cost seemed a sensible purchase. The difference it makes against the basic TV sound is amazing and the clear voice function works perfectly. I will never go back to basic TV speakers and strongly recommend the Yamaha YAS 101 and remember if it doesn't suit you haven't laid out a fortune (Bose take note).

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than just your telly..., 20 Feb. 2013
D. BARTON - See all my reviews
I'm slightly disappointed but not necessarily surprised that the 'surround' capabilities of this unit are virtually none. For the price, I'm not sure what I really expected. If you have a pair of stereo speakers connected to your television, there is no point buying this. However, if you don't and you want something neat and tidy that will far exceed the speakers on your telly, this is for you.

One thing I have to commend Yamaha on is the build quality of the unit. It has been dropped twice: once from about 40cm and the second time from about 1.2m (yikes!) and neither of the floors were carpeted. It still works. Well done on that front, Yamaha.

5.0 out of 5 stars YAS101 Soundbar, 7 Sept. 2012
J. R. Simpson "JRS1971" (London) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best gadgets I've bought, I've been pleasantly surprised at how good it is. It looks great and fits neatly on the wall below my 37" Samsung LED. It was easy to hang too with the bracket and template provided.

The sound quality is excellent, OK, its not 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound as you'd get from a conventional system but if you haven't got space for speakers around the room and don't want wires trailing everywhere it is ideal. The sound detail is excellent without being "boomy" and it throws the sound around nicely.

All in all, a great buy!