1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book but..., 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Blast of War: A Narrative History of the Third World War (Kindle Edition)
I got this book when it was a free download. I'm going to say this first, I did enjoy this book. It was entertaining if you could ignore some of its downfalls. The author has obviously done a great deal of research for this book, but to give it a more authentic feel he could have done more. His grasp of American politics and the political machinations seemed authentic enough, but at times I felt myself skipping ahead of the American sections. It seemed to become bogged down with the various political players.

When he talked about European politics he had an alright overall grasp if the situation but at time it just felt like he looked up Wikipedia and used what he found there as fact. A little more research wouldn't have gone amiss.
One previous reviewer mentioned that the book was presented as a factual textbook on the events which sparked the next global war. There were times when the various characters mentioned or quoted slipped into fiction prose. It would have been nice if he had stuck rigidly with the non-fiction approach. Another thing which annoyed me slightly was that when describing the Greek-German/French navel battle he mentioned that several vessels were sunk/destroyed. A textbook would offer the names of the ships etc. A little more detail in these parts would have helped maintain the illusion of a factual book. One inaccuracy which screamed out to me was that the author mentioned that the Chinese air force was smaller than the Russian. Now, this is wrong. I understand if the author had created events where China had reduced their airpower, but if he did this, he needed to tell the reader that it happened. Also, Russia dished out nukes like they were going out of fashion.

Despite the critisims I've mentioned I did like this book and will probably check out the next instalment. But no matter what, the events portrayed in Europe could never come to pass. Still I would recommend this book to those who enjoy the "what if" scenarios.

ARRAY(0xa9613b70)