on 23 May 2016
A great read for those studying Conan-Doyle's Sign of Four for GCSE literature. Christie has taken the original concept and treated it with an exciting twist using her wonderful language and character skills. One of her later mysteries so well worth a read. Also, the added prologue and concluding essays add details to aid your reading. I'd recommend not reading either until your finish the story though!
on 14 January 2014
super story and very good read would recomend to anyone very good value for money and couldnt put it down
on 6 July 2015
Having watched all the excellent TV adaptations, found my self somewhat ashamed that I hadn't read any of these novels. So where best to start than the very beginning.

Found it a very easy read that passed a couple of night shifts. If like me you want to start reading about the exploits of the great detective, this is a very affordable and enjoyable introduction.
VINE VOICEon 7 February 2014
This is a wonderful tale, full of twists and turns and is a fitting end for one of the world's greatest literary detectives.
I think Agatha Christie is a master of the mystery novel and always enjoy her work. Whilst there is a certain poignancy that this is Poirot's last story, Christie does him proud with a tale that will have you gripped to the last page.
on 3 December 2013
Typical Poirot that keeps you guessing right until the last minute when the reveal takes place, although slightly different in this book to the previous ones - you'll see why when you read it, i don't want to give anything away if you don't already know! Great twist to it also that is completely unexpected and great to see Hastings back also.
on 29 November 2013
Having read almost all her books many years ago I have decided to reread them, having forgotten the plots. I am astounded at how good a writer she is (succinct, witty, dazzling dialogue) as well as being able to construct such intricate story lines. This story is a great example of her style and form. I was genuinely surprised by the outcome.
on 23 October 2011
I agree with a previous reviewer that Poirot and Hastings both behave in ways that are not quite believable, or true to their characters in the previous books, in this last Poirot novel. I think this is a creation by an author who was thoroughly fed up with her hero and wanted to get rid of him. I found it sad, because I love Poirot as a character - and I was also very disappointed at the way both Hastings and Poirot behaved (again, if you've read the book you'll know what I mean). Quite simply, I thought it was not quite credible. The plot is very clever but extremely unlikely. Of course, many of Dame Agatha's plots are unlikely, but I found this one slightly ridiculous. The references to "Othello" are very thought provoking, though. The book seems to have been a bit rushed - I know Agatha Christie is renowned for developing her characters only so far as she needs to, but I think a lot more could have been done with many of the characters in this book to make it more vivid and intriguing. It isn't a patch on "Death on the Nile" or "Five Little Pigs", for instance. Still, I enjoyed it and it made me read the plot of "Othello", if not the whole play!

Another thing I felt was that I didn't "recognise" Styles from "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" - it was like a different place completely. Of course, it was probably very different by then in the book's terms, having been made into a hotel - but I felt that perhaps more could have been done in description to make the reader feel that the action was really taking place in the same house as the original murder did - because all the way through I kept forgetting that the venue was supposed to be Styles...

On a different note, there are some errors in the layout on the Kindle - for instance, sometimes in dialogue, there is no new paragraph when a different person is speaking, as there should be, which made me confused a couple of times about which character was speaking. I didn't notice any spelling errors, though.
on 10 November 2009
I ordered this, after being drawn into the world of Hecule Poirot. I had previously read Evil under the Sun and Death on the Nile. I found that this book, though intriguing, rambled rather a lot and dear H. Poirot failed to be the main character in the book, which was a bit disappointing. Nevertheless, it is a good bedtime read!
on 31 August 2013
I am a big reader and amazingly I have never read any Agatha Christie I though I would start at the beginning and what a joy it has been reading this book I can't believe it was turned down by so many publishers. It has all the classic ingredients a real page turner, I look forward to my Agatha Christie journey.
VINE VOICEon 4 May 2010
This is the first in the Poirot series which lead me to believe the characters may not be quite as we know them yet as they haven't had time to develope but this is not the case. I didn't work out who 'done it' right up until the end which in my opinion is how a murder mystery should be, very much recommended