Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£12.85

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 November 2011
This book is well-written in a smooth style, and it has interesting characters, a plausible Victorian Scottish background, and a solid plot. Overall, I enjoyed reading it.

However, I guessed easily 'whodunnit' because the book's title makes it rather obvious to what group of people the murderer belongs. I found it frustrating that the detective inspector and his clever stepson didn't once suspect the obvious suspect.

I liked it enough to buy the next book in the series.
on 6 December 2011
I got this on special offer and was glad not to have paid full price for it. I wanted to like this book so much, but it just didn't engage me enough.

The setting of Victorian Edinburgh was not really brought out, either in description or through the characters' turn of speech. Convincing period dialogue is hard to do well, and all too often these characters sounded like modern people superimposed on a shadowy historic background. While the story naturally focused on one story, there were lots of references to other work the detective, Faro, was doing without a picture of his work patterns and life-style really being fleshed out. And I guessed the ending fairly early on!

Think I'll stick to Anne Perry for Victorian mysteries - even at her worst, she gives a far better evocation of what the period might have felt like to live in and the constraints and expectations of people's everyday lives.
on 15 April 2016
A light non 'nasty' murder mystery. I enjoyed the book but would have liked the Inspector to have been stronger willed, especially with his stepson who seemed rather a nincompoop.
Inspector Faro's interest in the heroine became infatuation shoe wasn't too quick on the uptake.
An easy to read novel but the reader soon realises 'whodunit'.
on 30 January 2013
Enjoyed this book very much. Needed a bit more description done on the time it was set in. Good storyline that held your attention throughout. Lots of people to suspect. I felt sorry for Faro, but won't say anymore about that other than he's a likeable character that could do with further development.

This book is the first in the series and there is potential for a very good storyline/ series. Would recommend.
I rather enjoyed this cozy, Victorian novel despite the fact that the murderer was obvious and the period detail non existent. It is simply a well written piece of escapism which is lively enough to hold your attention and pass a few hours. I got it as a free download and as such it is enjoyable but I don't think I would pay to read more in the series.
on 31 October 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, having previously read the Rose McQuinn novels. It was interesting to find out more about characters that I had read about in later life, although I would recommend reading the books in order. I look forward to reading the many others in this series.
on 4 March 2013
First time I have read a book by this author and I was not disapointed.Although I guessed who did the murder before the end,the story kept me interested to finish it.I intend to read the next book in the series as the story was easy to follow and I read it within a couple days. I would certainly recommend giving this author a try.
VINE VOICEon 24 January 2015
I enjoy reading 'period' detective stories so thought I would try the first of the Inspector Faro series. I'm afraid I found it disappointing and will not be reading the rest of the series. The story itself is almost lost behind the laboured use of (supposedly) period dialogue and digressions on background. I found myself skipping whole sections of this material in my efforts to follow the plot development. Others may find, obviously do find since there are a number of other books in the series, this style of writing satisfying, but it is not for me.
on 2 December 2012
Inspector Faro is a rather irritating hero/detective but the story was good enough to keep me reading. Maybe that's a bit less than fair as I went on to buy the second book when I finished this one!
on 17 April 2013
Inspector faro and Vince his stepson team up in this alanna knight collection set in Edinburgh, various suspects but an end to fit alanna knight,s style plenty to keep you guessing excellent series