Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 5 December 2012
After seeing The Blues Band live in Chesterfield a few weeks ago i thought how have i not got anything by them on CD (I had only borrowed the "Homage" CD before). I bought the "Few short Lines" CD on the night which only left me wanting more.So a quick look on Amazon and blimey for less than a tenner I've now got an amazing 41 track overview of the band. Just a mention of a couple of standout tracks the version of Dylans "Maggies Farm" is brilliant and "Half the man(twice the fool)"is equally brilliant. As well as Paul Jones excellent harmonica I like the way the other band members share the vocals, I feel this adds to the all round feel of this compelation. The package also contains a very good potted history of the band.To sum up if you are into the blues you just cannot go wrong.
on 4 March 2014
Received this for a present at Xmas and have played it every week since This is how the Blues/ R&B should be played; by top musicians. I love the 'wireless' tracks on this CD Takes me back to Manfred Manns LP 'Five Faces Of Mann' in 64 where Paul Jones and Tom McGuinness started turning out R&B Terrific !
on 6 May 2014
Absolutely incredible Album. Need to get some more. I bought this for my son to introduce him to the blues, now he's hooked.
on 2 January 2013
Have seen the band twice over the last couple of years and have become a fan. This album gives a good selection showing what the band are all about.
on 29 March 2014
Bought this after seeing Blues Band in concert a couple of months ago. I think that I really like it.
on 15 January 2013
After seeing this album on the table at a show selling for £20.00. I bought it on line for under half the price!! great and it came on time.
on 26 November 2015
The Blues Band appeared at the Exeter Corn Exchange and they were very good, despite having been on the stage for over 30 years, and Paul Jones was as good as ever. Quote )my own) review: ' For the penultimate number on the first set Kelly broke into Elmore James / Robert Johnson's 'Dust My Blues', a song that was given a new lease life in the 1960s by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. Jones gave a memorable performance on wailing harmonica and Kelly reminisced of how he had the honour to play with blues-men Freddy King and Howling Wolf at the Manchester Free Trade Hall in 1969 when tickets cost 12 shilling and six pence!
They finished the first set with the title track from a Jones' CD, Paul quipping, “The album is called 'Suddenly I Like It', and gradually you will too – not too gradually I hope.” He stated it included amazing performances by pianist Jools Holland and American blues-guitar prodigy Joe Bonamassa.
After a 20 minute interval they cracked into 'Say You Will', on 'the thorny topic of mature relationships', with Fletcher on ukulele. 'Some Day Baby' followed featuring guest Ray Beavis on tenor saxophone. D.K. remarked that they had first played with Beavis at the Town and Country Club in 1991! Paul Jones then led on 'The Bad Boy' that he deemed 'semi-autobiographical', probably reflecting the time before he converted to Christianity in the mid-eighties. The r&b standard 'Hallelujah, I Love Her So' followed. During the concert Jones revealed an amazing talent for engaging the audience and in recreating the authentic tones of the Deep South. McGuinness played lead on 'Rain Keep Falling', with brief solos from Fletcher and Townshend, before he mimicked the whole Hendrix shabang of playing guitar behind his head for a number of verses, alternating phrases with Beavis's saxophone.
Jones remarked they were 'impressed by the audiences impeccable taste', then ending with a slow tempo version of Chuck Berry's 'Little Queenie', D.K. hamming the words to the third verse. After leaving the stage, much applause led to an encore of the Ray Charles / Louis Jordan standard 'Let the Good Times Roll'. God bless them all. This is an excellent double CD and worth every penny - if you like the Blues!
on 28 March 2015
Superb album and what a lot of music for your money, win win for me. I would have bought this just for their version of the Dylan classic Maggie's Farm.
on 4 January 2013
All tracks are good and have been well produced as you would expect from this band. A CD well worth having.
on 30 July 2015
The music is excellent but the case had the middle bit broken that holds CDs in place. I didn't return as I just swapped it for a spare case I have.