5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece!
The Blues Band's new album "Few Short Lines" has been a number of years in the making, whilst they have been skillfully tweaking it to perfection. I haven't stopped listening to it since I bought it, at their recent Winchester gig and I've come to the conclusion that it is an absolute masterpiece!

"Few Short Lines" is full of surprises. It includes a couple...
Published on 14 Nov 2011 by J. Yonge

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
having seen them live I was expecting great things

its ok but perhaps I should have saved my money to go to another Blues band gig
Published 21 months ago by Mr. Ian R. Mcdonald

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece!, 14 Nov 2011
J. Yonge "Catfish" (Haslemere, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Few Short Lines (Digipak) (Audio CD)

"Few Short Lines" is full of surprises. It includes a couple of traditional blues songs "Few Short Lines" and "Statesboro Blues" sung by Dave Kelly. Then there's the amusing "My Toot Toot", a Sidney Simien song, sung superbly by Tom McGuinness

There are no less than five new Tom McGuinness songs "My Brother Was A Sailor", "Pay It No Mind" and "You Can Dance To The Blues" are sung by Paul Jones and "Living With The Blues" and "Pay It No Mind" are sung by Tom McGuinness himself. These are really amazingly, awesome, songs. While "Sway With Me" has Paul Jones and Linda Lewis on lead vocals, with Mike Sanchez on piano...it's just a knockout!

"I Believe I'm In Love With You" is a Kim Wilson song sung by Dave Kelly and Maggie Bell, with Pete Wingrield on piano.

Paul Jones has written two new songs for this stunning new album they are "Road" with Al Kooper on Keyboards and "Suddenly I Like It".

That's not all either...this great new album is full of great goodies and surprises...in addition to all the aforementioned tracks... also included are three marvellous songs written by Gary Fletcher. Gary Fletcher sings "That's My Way". "It Take Love" is sung by Paul Jones and Dave Kelly, while "You Are True" is sung by another guest Southside Johnny.

"Few Short Lines" is certainly a mega awesome album and you should order your copy without delay!

4.0 out of 5 stars Is This As Good As It Gets?, 11 Jan 2012
J. M. Green "john94682" (Sutton Coldfield) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Few Short Lines (Digipak) (Audio CD)
I have been going to see this band now for more years than I care to remember and live, they have always put on a great show (including the Tamworth show just before Christmas 2011 when many of the numbers from this album were presented). However, their studio material whilst good, has never been as good as that produced live - maybe it's the ambience, maybe it's the odd bum note that makes the difference, I am not sure, but it doesn't seem to be a problem with other blues bands!
That said, I did resist the temptation to purchase this album at the gig, even though I know that the band does better benefit...however, I did relent and went ahead with this purchase and, do I regret it - no, not a bit of it, particularly as there are several guest appearances, and one is none other than Maggie Bell, one of my all time favourite female vocalists on the Kim Wilson penned "I Believe I'm In Love With You" where her unmistakable vocal chords can be heard belting the song out - superb!
Never straying much from the well trodden path that is the blues, the workmanlike rythmn section bolstered by the guitars of Dave Kelly and Tom McGuiness all underpinned by the harmonica and vocals of Paul Jones make for a good and entertaining album of self penned numbers along with a good selection of numbers written by others. It's certainly not a must have album, mind you, but to experience what The Blues Band are truly all about then you really, really must witness them live!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Album, 29 Nov 2011
This review is from: Few Short Lines (Digipak) (Audio CD)
I've got to say, I bought this album from their gig in Newport a few weeks back and I haven't stopped listening to it.

The stand out songs for me are "Statesbro' Blues" and the title track "Few Short Lines" - really well recorded.

I strongly recommend this album as it is one of the best album recorded in years.

5.0 out of 5 stars At there best, 23 Sep 2012
This review is from: Few Short Lines (Digipak) (Audio CD)
One of the best albums they have released, it shows the band at there best, hope to hear more in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old blues, 9 April 2014
A. Wellman "disctone" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Few Short Lines (Digipak) (Audio CD)
I bought this album for two reasons,one I am going to see them live and two my favourite American singer Southside Johnny is on two of the tracks.Well this is a great album with every track a gem.Some surprise geust artist and some great blues harp playing.Love the blues get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album in Years, 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: Few Short Lines (Digipak) (Audio CD)
I haven't got many recent BB albums but this one is a revelation particularly the songs with the guests who include the fantastic Maggie Bell. Buy it-that's all I can say.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 31 Mar 2013
having seen them live I was expecting great things

its ok but perhaps I should have saved my money to go to another Blues band gig

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Oct 2014
Excellent

Few Short Lines (Digipak)
Few Short Lines (Digipak) by The Blues Band (Audio CD - 2011)