4.0 out of 5 stars A good attempt, nut read the book too
Published on 12 April 2006 by Sarah Markham

3.0 out of 5 stars An illusion
Having read all the potter books, I expected there to be some minor ommisions in the films. A few details were dropped in the first film, a few more in the second,until you get to this fourth film which, in my opinion, is only the outline of the story.
There are so many details and events missing. In truth i'm not totally surprised, because this film is a...
Published on 23 Mar 2006 by warden139

4.0 out of 5 stars A good attempt, nut read the book too, 12 April 2006
Sarah Markham "Pottertastic" (Lancashire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I must admit that when I first saw this film at the cinema I was disappointed, mainly because one of the plot twists is given away in the first scene, (Barty Crouch Jr, is supposed dead through most of the book) but I think it's starting to grow on me. The special effects are spectacular, and I think I acually prefer the maze scene from the film. However, it can't be ignored that a substantial amount of the story has been left out. I loved the character of Dobby the house elf in the Chamber of Secrets, and I was really disappointed that both the house elfs weren't included as they have great importance to the plot in the book. The side plot, with Hermione trying to free the elfs is carried forward into the next two books, so I guess we can say they won't be in those films either. (Again, a house elf is crucial to book 5.) Other things that carry through to the next books like the kids finding out Hagrid is half-giant, and Harry giving the Wealsey twins his prize money for their joke shop, plus the growing rift between Harry and Dumbledore, and the Ministry are also missed out. I'm not sure how the next director will deal with these problems. Despite this, the film is still highly enjoyable to any Potter fan, the three young stars are all excellent, especially Emma Watson who has improved no end since the first film. The ball scene is the stuff of fairytales, and Ron in his dress robes is hilarious. The dragon sequence is also great and Daniel Radcliffe should be praised for having to learn to dive for the second task in the lake, a wonderful scene that must have been painstaking to act and create. Ralph Fiennes is great as Voldemort and his re-birth scene/transformation is very well done, although I was disappointed he didn't have red eyes. I was a little disappointed at the extra scenes on the disc, I would have loved to see the kids visit Sirius in the cave and I was hoping it would explain things that the film left out, that could be confusing to people that haven't read the book, e.g. Voldemort and Harry's wands connecting because they have the same core. Maybe this is something they could include on the DVD's for the future films, further explanations to things the film only glosses over. On the whole a great film, but I would recommend eveyone to read the book as well to help clarify certain details.

4.0 out of 5 stars The series continues..., 11 April 2006
KB (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Goblet of Fire being my favourite of the HP books, I have looked forward to this film for so long and thankfully it did not disappoint. Yes, a lot of scenes are cut and a lot of scenes added, and some important details are only touched on, but fans of HP will know the book inside out anyway and should appreciate the fiilm in its own right.
Daniel Radcliffe has improved once again, although he will need to up his game even more in OOTP, Rupert Grint is hilarious, getting all the best lines and being the perfect Ron, and Emma Watson is also great, although she does tend to overact. As much as I love Michael Gambon he will never exceed the brilliance that was Richard Harris' Dumbledore, indeed, in this film he does seem to do a lot of shouting and even shaking, which we all know Dumbledore doesn't approve of(see OOTP). Miranda Richardson is brilliant as Rita Skeeter, as is Brendan Gleeson as Moody, and although he doesn't look how I imagined, he portrayed the character extremely well. Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman and Robbie Coltrane do excellent turns once again, but there was too little of Gary Oldman as Sirius.
The special effects are brilliant, but some scenes are too rushed. There wasn't enough of the Quidditch World Cup, and where were all the magical creatures in the maze? Having said that the graveyard scene is superb, Ralph Fiennes is brilliant as Lord Voldemort and Robert Pattison is so handsome it made me wish that Cedric didn't die.
I found it cheesy in some parts, which I have never found before in an HP film. For example,the song in the egg and in particular, the bit where Hermione comes down the stairs at the Yule Ball. Yes she looks beautiful but what's with the cheesy music? Jarvis Cocker's songs are hilarious, but I wonder if being able to dance like a hippogriff is a good thing?
Overall I think this film is great, despite all the omissions, but I don't know if it's the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Took a couple viewings..., 7 Feb 2006
I went to see this film in the cinema twice. Being a potter fan, not as fanatical as most, I thought it was definitely worth seeing twice. The first time I saw it I had many complaints, as most fans of the books do when they cut storylines from the book to film transformation.
However, on seeing it a second time, I decided to watch the film and appreciate it for what it was. All in all cutting a long story short, it is an absolutely excellent film with fabulous effects and scenery.
The highlights for me were the Yule Ball, which would definitely be worth seeing again on the DVD as the Great Hall decorations are magnificent, and the graveyard scene, which is very intense and emotional.
My only criticism would be the pacing of this film. This was my initial problem, as we delved straight into the movie without a second look from one shot of the Quidditch World Cup straight to the Triwizard Tournament in a matter of minutes. Although this could be seen to make the film feel action packed, literally, and cuts out any filler screen time.
I hope this helped x

4.0 out of 5 stars Who needs a review? Who hasn't seen it?, 29 July 2006
The way I feel before a Harry Potter film is probably shared by a million others: hoping against hope that they won't muck it up. I love the books far more than the films, and I thought that the first two were okay, but terrible compared to the literary originals. The third was good, and I let out a sigh of relief. The fourth is excellent. The book's collosal, so I was sure that they couldn't make this film without cutting out most of the stuff that I love, but it works. The things that they have included are the most relevant and important, and you can understand why they chose some scenes over others. Admittedly, the acting can be wooden and you can't help but be disappointed at how Daniel Radcliffe stumbles through the more delicate scenes, but it's wonderful to see the three evolve through the process of these films. I can't imagine anyone reading this who hasn't seen it - it's obviously a must-see, even if you hate the Harry Potters, just as the books are must-reads. If you've seen it at the cinemas it's still worth buying, just so that you can know that it's there to watch at any time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 15 Mar 2006
By A Customer
I am a true Harry Potter fan, having read all of the books about a hundred times each, but i thought that this fourth film was fantastic. Sure, it cut out quite a lot and added a couple of things, but it was still a brilliant watch. Definately the best of the four and the kids are so much better at acting! People who dislike the film need to get a life-its brilliant!
The film follows all of the major plot, and although there could have been a little more about the world cup i thought it was amazing. The special effects were fantastic-especially the underwater scenes!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the films, 31 July 2006
J. SCARROTT "me" (uk) - See all my reviews
As a HUGE fan of the books,I would rather put my face in something nasty than not see the film. This film was the best so far,the first and second films were far too sentimental for my liking. The acting has dramatically improved,Dan Radcliffe looks a lot more comfortable in his role this time round.

As for the storyline, absolutely faultless considering a lot had to be chopped into the 2 and a half hours.

The DVD extras were actually quite good especially the interview with the cast members. Well worth buying but get the two disc version rather than the one disc version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not the best..., 23 Feb 2006
Mr. J. WARE "wolvieware" (London) - See all my reviews
After the incredible, adult-orientated Prisoner of Azkaban, the fourth outing for Potter, Goblet of Fire, seems to be a backwards step towards the more kiddie style of the first two films.
The main reason for that fact is because the film-makers virtually tried to squeeze the entire 600 page novel into a 2 and a half hour running time. That was a mammoth task, done pretty well, but as far as adaptations go, its not even the best in this series.
Out go a few major plot lines, like Hermione's Elf campaign, but everything else is bunged into the script into a reduced form. Scenes that were pages long in the book get reduced to a couple of minutes of film, which I felt gave the film a feeling of being rushed, unfulfilled plotlines and a confusing style if you HADN'T read the book.
Harry Potter newbies (if, indeed, there are any?!) should avoid. This will only confuse them. But for the real fan, Goblet of Fire is impossible to dislike.
Being thrown into JK Rowling's world once again is always a delight, particularly as it is always how I imagined it from reading. The huge ensemble cast is a delight (even if the three main leads still disappoint), and the new characters and actors are embraced into the series with welcome arms. It's only annoying that firm favourites like Sirius and Snape just don't get enough screen time!
The film mostly revolves around the Tri-Wizard tournament, and the three contests really are the action highlights of the film. The rest of the film only bridges the gap between the next test. ost memorable is an encounter with a dragon, expanded on superbly from the book.
Much has been made of the super-scary ending - finally he who must not be named is revealed in all his disgusting glory, and its the true highlight of the film. Yes, it's dark, sure it could be scary for very young kids, but my 9 year old neice was fine with the dark horror nature of the finale.
Still, it doesn't matter if this film was absolute rubbish - it would still sell by the bucketload, and we're virtually guaranteed a film of book 5 - so its refreshing that the film makers don't rest on their laurels, and at least try to make a film thats better than the last.
Looking at the extras, its also worth noting that there is more on how they made the film and behind the scenes, rather than the earlier films DVD releases that just gave us set-top games and quizzes. The making ofs should be interesting, and I look forward to discovering how they created some of the scenes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think of it as a 'greatest hits' collection..., 17 Feb 2006
John Tansey (UK) - See all my reviews
The arduous task of transfering "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" from the page to the screen was always going to result in some plot being missed out. For me, the fourth book is still my favourite; its full of adventure as well as new revelations about Harry and his arch nemesis Voldemort and the criticism that has been poured on this film is that it misses out much of the book's depth.
That I agree with, but I don't think it makes the movie a poor effort. I like to think of it as "Goblet of Fire: Greatest Hits" - the highlights of the book put up on the silver screen. Fans who have read the book will know each intricate plot detail anyway, and for the casual viewer the movie contains just enough to help them follow the story.
The story I don't need to tell, you know it already I'm sure. You should also know that it's young cast gets better with each movie they do and the special effects live up to their name. If the DVD follows the same formula as the previous three, and from the extras list here then I think it does, we're all in for a treat. Whether the movie itself is worthy of 5 stars or not I'm unsure; but for the simple fact it made me feel 12 again is enough to make me recommed it to anyone who wants a little magic in their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent example of HD DVD, 3 Dec 2006
N. S. Barnett "Neil Barnett" (Leigh-on-Sea, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
So pleased this is available in the UK first.

Fantastic transfer to HD DVD well worth the extra money just for the clarity of the picture image.

I was wondering whether on a film with a large number of special effects whether the clarity would be a problem but it isn't. Each frame is bright and clear.

Roll on the other Harry Potter films in HD

4.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 12 April 2006
This was one of the most enjoyable films in the Potter series as it was decidedly more grown up and far more sinister than the earlier films. Although we see less character development and dialogue the more grown up content more than made up for this. Apart from the characters 'finding' sex (Hermiane meets an older bloke!)the baddies are now badder than ever and we see the first death of a nice character. Indeed, some of the scenes were so graphic and upsetting that my girlfriend was in tears. You get the usual mix of dragons, mermaids and other magical shananigans but the reemergence of Voldermort has certainly livened things up a bit. So overall a very good film for the adults but children beware!