4.0 out of 5 stars A poignant, authentic masterpiece.
You can't watch this film without feeling something. The script consists of sincere interactions, natural small talk and realistic arguments. It made me think about aspects of my own life. Parts of my past, feelings I've had about friends, lovers, my parents, and what these relationships mean to me. It even made me think about my future.

Weekend isn't just...
Published on 21 April 2012 by lukefazak

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting
Published 6 months ago by Mr. N. D. Havers

4.0 out of 5 stars A poignant, authentic masterpiece., 21 April 2012
This review is from: Weekend [DVD] [2011] (DVD)

Weekend isn't just another gay movie. It's not distasteful or stereotypical. It's delicate. It's amusing. And my word, it makes you think. The "love" story, if that's how you want to put it, is sewn neatly into that raw, British reality. Altercations between characters remind me of ones I've had myself - petty, circular and genuine. Authentic characters are placed into familiar situations. I lost count of the times I felt a sense of déjà vu, a deep understanding of the context, or even recognition of myself in one of the characters. I even recognised my friends in others. It might just be me, but aspects of this film seem to describe life experiences that we've all been through; gay or straight.

This film picks up on something that might ordinarily go unnoticed. It cultivates the idea that something strong can burst from a chance encounter with someone you meet in a bar. This scenario must happen more often than realised. It happens every day, but so many just pass it off as a myth. The idea that such a bond could be formed over a single weekend may seem farfetched to some, but I believe the actors capably portray the honesty of what these characters create.

So much about the film's production mutters authenticity. It lets you witness each of Glen and Russell's encounters as if you were there. Camera angles range from incredibly distant to up close and personal. You could be placed across the street from the couple, or as a passenger on their tram. Next thing you know you're in bed with them. At one moment, surrounding bystanders cross in front of the shot, concealing the pair entirely. This technique allows the audience to immerse themselves in the characters' world, as if to eavesdrop on their conversation.

The only real criticism I have is related to the excessive use of drugs throughout the film. While it's perfectly realistic to have characters taking lines and shooting up, here I felt that it didn't fit with the personalities involved.

Russell is played by Tom Cullen, who admirably utilises body language, tone of voice and eye gaze to successfully pinpoint the character's insecurities. Although openly gay, it is evident that Russell is yet to be totally comfortable with his sexuality. Glen (Chris New) provides Russell with stepping stones toward this personal development, and it truly is endearing to watch.

Bedroom scenes aren't just used for sex. Although these are natural and incredibly sensual, the morning after does well to hold attention. These scenes frequently display romantic affection and touching exchanges, in spite of the disagreements and platonic ambience we see in a majority of the film.

If you feel like the trailer alone stirs the heart, wait `til you see the full thing. By the end, you're left with a churned barrel of emotions, aching to be told the rest of the story. In a way, this indecisive ending, severed by something rusty and serrated, is an ideal way to complete the film. There's no tidy bow to connect loose ends, no lid to put it all away. The lives of those involved are left open and unforeseeable.

It leaves you wanting more.

Find this review at:[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Weekend [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Just watched this film tonight. It wasn't what I was expecting. It centres on two very different characters who have a fleeting romance over a weekend and reflect on their lives. One of the guys is very sensitive and grounded but the other guy in contrast was loud, vulgar and insensitive - the later being portrayed as a very negative stereotype associated with some gay men. There were parts of this movie which I couldn't hear as the sound was muffled. I'm not sure what this film was supposed to have been about - yes the acting was ok but it seemed to lack any proper story and was like a low budget movie of watching someone video their own life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 13 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Weekend [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
This is a fantastic film. I personally love the British hyper-realist style of film, but this one not only provides a documentary feel, but is also beautifully natural. I would go so far as to say that the non-dialouge sections are the best features of the film. Chris New and Tom Cullen shine as actors!

The only downside for me is that I feel the film slightly became what it tried not to be. Here was a film billed as not a 'gay film', but a film that features gay characters. Unfortunately some of the conversations did become rants about classic gay issues. On the plus side a refreshing look at other social issues such as children in care was covered without resorting to stereotypical characterisation.

Overall the film was fantastic and I felt melancholic for days after even when not thinking of the film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Indie doesn't mean bad, 6 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Weekend [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I watched "Weekend" on telly during a special "Gay weekend" on one of the movie channels. To my surprise, it deserved all the positive feedback it got.
Two guys meet, sleep together, but what is more important, TALK. Talk a lot. Spend time together. It just a weekend, but it can be a beginning of something very serious.
True to life, isn't it? It sounds like one of my own stories.
Happy to see that low budget enterprise can be so fruitful!

If there is one thing that I didn't like, it were the drugs involved here. Is it really so gay to take them every Saturday???

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Film of the Year, 8 Dec. 2011
WEEKEND
(Dir. Andrew Haigh / 97 minutes)

I know, I know, gay man picks gay film as his best of the year; how predictable can you get? But this low-budget British independent film was so much more than an excuse to look at naked men (that was just an added bonus).

Weekend was something special and real and beautiful and managed to portray the genesis of a relationship with far more believability and far more heart than Hollywood has ever done. Sure, it's about homosexuals, but the themes covered here are very universal; falling in love, the notion of meeting somebody for the first time allowing you a blank canvas on which to project a version of yourself, the idea of getting stuck in your ways with a bunch of friends who drag you down and hold you back because they expect you to behave in a certain way. The film casts aside the all-too-familiar stereotypes, the clichés and the need to rant on about issues, and instead offered a simple story about a burgeoning relationship between two men, quiet, unassuming Russell (best name ever) and 'out' and proud Glen, who meet late on a Friday night in a gay club.

The development of their relationship, which takes place over the eponymous weekend, was played out with such refreshing ordinariness (the best parts of the film are the wonderful set-piece 'real time' scenes where the blokes are just chatting casually in the kitchen, drinking tea, talking about life). I look forward to the DVD release so I can enjoy it all over again. Funny, tender, real... superb.

4.0 out of 5 stars Realistic portrayal, 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Weekend [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I saw this film when it was shown recently by Channel 4 (a word on that later) and thought it was a moving, thought provoking and impressive piece of work. The film has a sad and melancholy feel arising from the exploration of its key theme - the obstacles to achieving committed, lasting relationships. Its strength lies in its gritty realism and portrayal of two young gay men, each struggling in their own ways to find happiness and direction in their lives, as well as a way to live in a world that is sadly, despite the advances of recent decades for gay people (in the West at least), still sometimes hostile, intolerant and uncomprehending. This is a refreshingly realistic portrayal of two gay people who have all the same strengths and weaknesses, virtues and vices that straight people have, rather than the clichéd stereotypes of the loveable, eccentric camp queen or sinister deviant that we so often encounter in film. Their characters are in some respects polar opposites, Russell (played by Tom Cullen) less demonstrative and political about his sexuality, more reserved and traditional in attitudes than Glen (played by Chris New) who seems more confident, political, worldly and somewhat cynical about life and love. Superficially Glen seems a more confident and self-assured character than Russell but as the film progresses, we begin to wonder whether this is really the case. Dramatic interest arises from the juxtaposition of their different attitudes towards life, love and the possibility of a relationship - Russell clearly wanting one and Glen not - and the fact that their emotional dilemma is one that many people of any sexuality, have faced. Written and directed by Andrew Haig, the screenplay is intelligent and believable with some imaginative cinematography and a well chosen score. But it is the excellent performances by the two lead actors Cullen and New which underpin and contribute to an impressive work of art. When watching the film, I kept thinking that Cullen's face looked very familiar but couldn't place him. Checking out his Wikipedia entry, I realised that he was none other than the actor who plays Lord Gillingham in the wonderful Downton Abbey. According to his Wikentry, Cullen gained a first-class honours degree in acting and my word, does it show! (Less of a surprise was to discover that he is Welsh - honestly, what is it about that small, great country and handsome hunks, of which it seems to produce more than its fair share?) The strength of Cullen's performance is equally matched by New's which makes for a fine, character based drama. In some respects, it is rather like a contemporary, gay version of Brief Encounter. A splendid film with many qualities which should be appreciated by viewers gay and straight. I mentioned at the start of this review that I saw the film on Channel 4 who seemed to have deliberately scheduled it as part of an expression of political support for gay people in Russia, facing Putin's anti-gay legislation and a truly appalling predicament at the present time. It was aired shortly before the start of the Winter Olympics in Sochi and preceded by Channel 4's amusing, pro-gay trailer. Top marks to all involved and top marks to C4 for its brave and principled political support.

3.0 out of 5 stars Have seen much much worse of course, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Weekend [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
This was a film that was trying to be provocative, edgy, avant garde but just didnt quite make it. Both characters had more to them than the average gay film, but nevertheless the story just lacked something to give it authenticity. Again, there was more depth to the internal conflicts suffered by the two protagonists but it still left me wanting.

Have seen much much worse of course.However, by the end it was very much "was that it?" with something more needed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty boys with beards make a pretty boring film..., 19 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Weekend [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The cast and director talk as if this film is in some way ground breaking... It is not. It's the same old hackneyed 'difficult gay relationship' lasting a Weekend... Which to be honest is how long it felt I was watching this film for. Picture quality for a Blu Ray isn't great, so buy the DVD if you fall for the hype and wanna watch this. If you like pretty boys with beards this is the Citizen Kane of that genre... If you want originality try 'looking' elsewhere ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars stripped, 29 Mar. 2012
S. Dryden (london, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weekend [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I'm not a big one for reviews, they are all subjective and do absolutely nothing but appeal to the scardy cat & dull at heart. See the film, make up you own mind!
That said.....I saw this when it was at the cinema and for a couple of days afterward it stayed with me. Its lush, atmospheric and has a stroke of realism to it that tinges the everyday once you leave it behind, in my view that's what good art does.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very real look at the meet and greet, 12 April 2013
Mal Lewis "disneymal" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weekend [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Truly great acting in this little slice of gay England, and what it's like to date in today's world.
Reminded me of some of my own adventures!

Weekend [Blu-ray]
Weekend [Blu-ray] by Andrew Haigh (Blu-ray - 2012)