Published on 12 Nov 2011 by P. Kelly

2.0 out of 5 stars Dont Buy This, Get The CD
... even for us audiophiles... it's better than the bootleg vinyl certainly, but this price smacks of extortionate racketeering.

First let me say I'm a great lover of Purple so have been looking forward to this. Also, I'm well into hi fi, so ditto, very much looking forward.

Physically, the vinyl is fine quality, but only to be expected, the disc...
Published on 9 April 2012 by The Marfalouth

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Wait 'A Beautiful Sound on a Sunday Morning, Alright Boys', 12 Nov 2011
P. Kelly (UK) - See all my reviews
I still listen to my full collection of DP Mark 1 & 2 music on vinyl. I was considering purchasing this newly released BBC sessions in the vinyl box edition until I saw the price at ca £85 to 90. From what I understand the difference between the standard CDs and the box set is the CDs are in their own cases and we get two 180g vinyl records. For me this does not justify the extra price and I probably would be complaining about the quality of these modern vinyl pressings.

The standard CD version comes with two discs: 1 Mark 1 sessions 1968-69 and 2, Mark 2 sessions 1969-70 and an excellent booklet produced by DP expert, Simon Robinson, which gives very detailed information on each one of the sessions. Disc 1 contains 14 tracks, 7 of which are previously unreleased and a short interview with Rod Evans. Disc 2 contains 11 music tracks and a short interview with Jon Lord discussing the Black Night single. All of these tracks appeared on the now deleted 'Listen, Learn, Read On' box set (info source Deep Purple Appreciation Society web page). However, the key advantage is having all these DP1 & 2 recordings grouped together. The CD labels are replicas of the original BBC's Transcription Service vinyl labels.

I have to confess I played the Mark 2 material first as for me this was the ultimate DP line-up. It is the first time I have heard these recordings except the Mike Harding Sound of the Seventies sessions which I was an addictive listener back in the early 70s (giving away my advanced age), truly magnificent from start to finish. It highlights to me that the early transition of the Mark 2 band from the few tracks presented here have a higher portion of organ in the mix until they developed the later heavier guitar loaded mixes of the finished articles for the 'In Rock' album. Listening to Ian Gillian's voice with the echo on some of tracks is really unusual. The sound quality considering the age of these recordings is excellent. The music is full of energy and passion, the standard trade mark of the Mark 2 line-up. Highlight on this disc for me is 'Child in Time' the organ sounds very crisp and the whole band are on top form.

I still play my Mark 1 material occasionally but I view this era as the basic grounding for their progression into the rock superstar status and I admit to over-looking its importance in the past. I was very surprised how much I enjoy listening to disc 1 and conclude that their live playing brings their sound forward more to the attention of the listener compared to the studio material. Again on this disc the sound quality although overall slightly reduced vs disc 2 is still excellent. The Mark 1 line-up did a lot cover versions and the version here of 'Help (Intro guitar chords would not be out of place on a current Blackmore's Night's recording) and Hey Joe '(Hendrix style guitar solo)' are really interesting. My favourite track on this disc is 'Lalena'. On this recording I find the atmosphere of the song is captured perfectly, the organ introduction is brilliant. Probably not done intentionally but to follow this track with a rocking track such as ' The Painter' really illustrates the different range of music style the Mark 1 group performed. What an introduction to this track by Chris Grant on a 'Beautiful Sunday Morning'. Listening to these Mark 1 recordings has given me an incentive to revisit and listen more carefully to my collection of their music.

In conclusion, a magnificent release, well worth the wait and great value in this basic CD format. Highly recommended. Having all the BBC sessions currently available from this era together is a real bonus. If unlike me you can be patient and play the sessions in order you can appreciate better the musical development of the band. To quote BBC's Chris Grant: 'Alright Boys! Mmmm good sound this one!.

5.0 out of 5 stars This bird is still flying, 13 Nov 2011
R. N. ESPIÑEIRA "Rne" (Malaver , Argentina) - See all my reviews
On these discs you can see the transition as Deep Purple cult band in the UK who longed to get success in the U.S. rock giants that are currently captured in this fascinating recording sessions. Although some of these issues in audio quality is not perfect. Performance is impressive, and almost all the issues proposed to leave the listener speechless by dint of professionalism, vistuosismo and, above all, very talented.

All recordings have been remastered especially for this release. Some tracks of these cd's had previously appeared on bootlegs but very poor sound quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep Purple BBC Sessions 68-70, 12 Nov 2011
Excellent double CD with informative booklet. Alternative (sometimes better) versions of familiar tracks (and not so familiar) plus intro bumpers and interviews. Well worth £9 of any Deep Purple Mk1 and Mk2 fans money.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT CD DP MK ROCK!, 5 Feb 2012
Great value double CD. I brought this for the Deep Purple Mark 1 Collection. Great early stuff, Rod Evans and Nick Simper really were great, Simpers bass lines rock!!.

CD two is MK2 Purple, another great collection, but for me the MK1 CD has the edge.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Blast from the Past, 9 Dec 2011
These early Deep Purple tracks from the BBC Sessions are a real blast from the past, showing Deep Purple in several experimental stages, and their transformation into Progressive Rock !

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Nov 2014
Must have for all the PURPLE people in the universe!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Deep Purple, 13 Mar 2012
I love Deep Purple, I like everything that they do. And those BBC archives are just gems for every crazy fan of Deep Purple, like me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dont Buy This, Get The CD, 9 April 2012

Physically, the vinyl is fine quality, but only to be expected, the disc covering Mark 1 is far from audiophile quality, the master tapes presumably being of not a particularly high standard. (And yes, there really are some fine quality master tapes - and consequently vinyl - available from this period and earlier. I add this so that you dont come away thinking this "aah well, the equipment in them old days wasn't what it is now...". Nothing to do with the equipment, pal, this is all to do with the care and quality taken at the time.

Certainly not, then, worth paying an extra £60 plus for the vinyl.

As for the music, this is ace Deep Purple, top of the range. The CDs are well mastered and better than the first vinyl (and I hate to say that, being a vinyl lover!). A true powerhouse band in their heyday, especially so the Mark 2 version.

Treat yourself, but stick to cd, dont bother with the vinyl.

BBC Sessions 1968 - 1970