I haven't been that thrilled and awed by a self-publishing author since I've read Meilin Miranda's Lovers and Beloveds.

Some books are like delicious dark chocolate, but some books are like exquisite red wine - rich, intoxicating, powerful. A Hidden Fire is just one such book.

It reminds you why you fell in love with vampires all those years ago when...
Published on 4 Jun 2012 by kara-karina (Nocturnal Book Re...

2.0 out of 5 stars If you like slow romances this is for you
I'll say to start with that this isn't really the sort of book I would read for preference but as I am reading most of the free books in the kindle top 100 I included this one.

Published 20 months ago by Fantasy Devourer

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing series, clever, well thought! A must read for the fans of old school vampires!, 4 Jun 2012
This review is from: A Hidden Fire: Elemental Mysteries Book One (Kindle Edition)

It reminds you why you fell in love with vampires all those years ago when you had your first Anne Rice's book or watched Count Dracula with his fake Transylvanian accent charm Mina.

A Hidden Fire delivers strong feel of Anne Rice but with a touch of Elizabeth Kostova and Dan Brown. It's not a paranormal romance, but a mystery with romantic elements.

Two main characters, - Beatrice, a young and very bright Goth girl slash librarian, and a 500 year old vampire Giovanni work together to unravel a mystery, stay alive and bring the villain down.

Giovanni or Gio had been groomed as a perfect vampire and turned young five centuries ago by an unhinged Master. As an Italian aristocrat who grew up in times of Borgia he is a skilled politician, strategist and has an enormous self-control, but he can't help being fascinated by Beatrice.

However, this is one of the few rare book where a vampire acts his age, and not like a train wrecked on hormones teenager. He thinks things through and thinks of the consequences. Both Beatrice and Gio fight their attraction, there is this gradually building sexual tension between them during the whole book... And this is another thing I was so wild about. Nothing heats up blood better than delayed sexual gratification :)

Secondary characters are just as mesmerizing. The pace is unhurried (the book covers I think over a year and a half of Beatrice's life), the action is very Anne Rice-ish, and the powers of each vampire are frankly unique.

I'm sorry I'm giving you spoilers, but I can't help gushing about this book. This is one of the two books which absolutely blew me away last month.

Guys, you absolutely have to read it, especially if you like old world vampires. This was terrific.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you like slow romances this is for you, 18 Jan 2013

The interaction between the two main characters wasn't too bad if you like will they/won't they romances. The build up of mystery was good. The resolution was awful, why build up to a big conflict and then have such a one-sided physical confrontation? The final chapter was just as unrealistic and made me want to shout at the author. I won't be recommending this author.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just cannot get into it., 11 July 2013
Am I reading the same book as most of the reviewers ,I am a third of the way through this book and all that's happened is a vampire goes to the library a couple of nights a week sorry not for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars cracking paranormal romance series, 31 July 2012
i love this sereis, enjoyed the first book so much that i had to buy the following three to see what happened. they're all a good length, well written and edited and with superb characters. Beatric and Giovannis romance is a slow burn one - a change to get that delicious sizzle when characters are dancing round their attraction to each other. one to read and re-read again and agian as there's so much detail and riverting story.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book, extremely worthy of 5 stars....., 14 Aug 2012
An avid reader. - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Heck where do I start? This book blew me away and I read it in less than a day, I was absolutely hooked from page one........... Elizabeth Hunter brought her characters to life with wit, charm, appeal, sexiness, intrigue, this list could be endless. What a ride! I am totally hooked on this series now, it's up there all the latest trilogies that suck you in and leave you panting for me. I love the romantic element, always there but kept suspenseful and endearing. I loved the intrigue about Lorenzo and Stephen and Gio's long lost library of books. I loved the twist on the paranormal and what element the vampires were. I loved the characters and the verbal jousting between 'B', Gio and Carwyn. There is absolutely nothing to complain about within these pages, this story has been brilliantly brought to life by the pen of Elizabeth Hunter. What amazes me is why has there been so few reviews for this book, it should be shouted about to everyone, raved about and promoted to all and sundry. I wish I was a book blogger now and reviewing this on my own blog to 1000's of readers and help Elizabeth get the recognition she deserves for such a fantastic debut novel, I for one can't promote this book enough - READ IT, YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID!

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonably good book, but the subject didn't engage my interest, 25 July 2014
This is not my type of book, I have to say. I prefer by vampires Dracula-style - evil incarnate and stinking of the grave, so with the possible exception of Blade, I'm not a huge fan of vampires as predatory Homo superior (especially sparkly ones). This book falls somewhat into the contemporary vampire trope, and is firmly in the chick-lit category, which I habitually avoid like a vampire shuns, er, garlic.

But, that said, looking objectively, this was not a bad book, in that I have read much, much worse. The plot I found a little slow, and some of the actions taken by the protagonists could have done with a little more elucidation ("How, exactly?"), but there was some interest value in it and I quite liked one or two of the characters. Beatrice, the heroine, isn't as dreadfully vapid as her Twilight counterpart, Beatrice. One benefit from the book was it has kindled a desire to read about Savonarola - I realised that I don't know enough about medieval and Renaissance Italy.

I probably wouldn't rush to read another book in this series, not because I thought it was dreadful but simply because it covers subject matter which mostly doesn't engage my interest. Hunter is a reasonably able writer and although you can never have too much proof-reading, there were fewer mistakes than in most eBooks I have seen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Twilight "lite", 18 May 2014
I had to keep telling myself all the way through that the B was for Beatrice and not Bella (seriously? Beatrice???).

This book felt to me like it tries a little too hard to be Twilight. Old, lonely vampire with principles? Check. Feisty girl who amuses him by not being afraid? Check. Vampire friends who are supportive of their "love" because he needs her in his life? Check. Vampire denying his love for the human because he wants her to live a normal live? Check.

Had that been it's only issue it wouldn't have been so bad - but the 500 year old Gio does an awful lot of winking and snickering and also has a heart beat (I mentioned this in another book review a few days ago - how exactly does a vampire have a heart beat?).

I bumped my review up to a 3 but I think that is slightly generous. There were times when text was introduced that was a conversation or an extract from a letter from 500 years ago and this made the story really jerky. Several times I had to keep re-reading passages because I couldn't figure out who it was this italicised text was relating to. It didn't help that Gio had gone by several different names over the centuries.

The first 60-70% of the book is fairly slow moving as Gio goes to the library a lot to read some ancient texts and drool over B. The last part finally bursts into some action but then the closing chapters are awful as nothing gets resolved and you're left having to buy the next book....

Unfortunately the next book is about the same price as a Lee Child...so I know which one I'll be choosing.

But, as a final summary, this one is a free download and it's pretty lengthy. It's got some decent characterisation (I liked Carwyn) and some amusing dialogue here and there. If you like vamp will they, won't they romances then this one is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire with a slow burn, 4 April 2014
Nice slow burn romance, with an unusual twist on the fantasy creature side of things.

Some nice snappy writing, and decent dialogue.

I thoroughly enjoyed this, and would happily read more by Ms Hunter. She will be added to my WTR list.

This was a DSOA on my Blog in April 2014, thus it was free at the time. I would be more than happy to pay for this one though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 6 Jan 2013
An interesting and quirky story but it would be most refreshing to find a writer who can manage to write a beginning, a middle and an end to the story - all in one book - without the need to drag the events out by padding and a series of almost happened or not-quite events. This book however is one of the better tales which I have read lately.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant read, 8 Dec 2012
Flows along at an ambient rate.all in all a pleasant read but I would like a bit more sustenance to the plot and give gio a bit more backbone rather than being a hopelessly smitten and powerlessly in love

A Hidden Fire: Elemental Mysteries Book One