4.0 out of 5 stars Took a couple viewings...
I went to see this film in the cinema twice. Being a potter fan, not as fanatical as most, I thought it was definitely worth seeing twice. The first time I saw it I had many complaints, as most fans of the books do when they cut storylines from the book to film transformation.
Published on 7 Feb 2006 by moo880401

3.0 out of 5 stars An illusion
Having read all the potter books, I expected there to be some minor ommisions in the films. A few details were dropped in the first film, a few more in the second,until you get to this fourth film which, in my opinion, is only the outline of the story.
Published on 23 Mar 2006 by warden139

4.0 out of 5 stars Took a couple viewings..., 7 Feb 2006
However, on seeing it a second time, I decided to watch the film and appreciate it for what it was. All in all cutting a long story short, it is an absolutely excellent film with fabulous effects and scenery.
The highlights for me were the Yule Ball, which would definitely be worth seeing again on the DVD as the Great Hall decorations are magnificent, and the graveyard scene, which is very intense and emotional.
My only criticism would be the pacing of this film. This was my initial problem, as we delved straight into the movie without a second look from one shot of the Quidditch World Cup straight to the Triwizard Tournament in a matter of minutes. Although this could be seen to make the film feel action packed, literally, and cuts out any filler screen time.
I hope this helped x

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 15 Mar 2006
By A Customer
I am a true Harry Potter fan, having read all of the books about a hundred times each, but i thought that this fourth film was fantastic. Sure, it cut out quite a lot and added a couple of things, but it was still a brilliant watch. Definately the best of the four and the kids are so much better at acting! People who dislike the film need to get a life-its brilliant!
The film follows all of the major plot, and although there could have been a little more about the world cup i thought it was amazing. The special effects were fantastic-especially the underwater scenes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent example of HD DVD, 3 Dec 2006
N. S. Barnett "Neil Barnett" (Leigh-on-Sea, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
So pleased this is available in the UK first.

Fantastic transfer to HD DVD well worth the extra money just for the clarity of the picture image.

I was wondering whether on a film with a large number of special effects whether the clarity would be a problem but it isn't. Each frame is bright and clear.

Roll on the other Harry Potter films in HD

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the films, 31 July 2006
J. SCARROTT "me" (uk) - See all my reviews
As a HUGE fan of the books,I would rather put my face in something nasty than not see the film. This film was the best so far,the first and second films were far too sentimental for my liking. The acting has dramatically improved,Dan Radcliffe looks a lot more comfortable in his role this time round.

As for the storyline, absolutely faultless considering a lot had to be chopped into the 2 and a half hours.

The DVD extras were actually quite good especially the interview with the cast members. Well worth buying but get the two disc version rather than the one disc version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Who needs a review? Who hasn't seen it?, 29 July 2006
The way I feel before a Harry Potter film is probably shared by a million others: hoping against hope that they won't muck it up. I love the books far more than the films, and I thought that the first two were okay, but terrible compared to the literary originals. The third was good, and I let out a sigh of relief. The fourth is excellent. The book's collosal, so I was sure that they couldn't make this film without cutting out most of the stuff that I love, but it works. The things that they have included are the most relevant and important, and you can understand why they chose some scenes over others. Admittedly, the acting can be wooden and you can't help but be disappointed at how Daniel Radcliffe stumbles through the more delicate scenes, but it's wonderful to see the three evolve through the process of these films. I can't imagine anyone reading this who hasn't seen it - it's obviously a must-see, even if you hate the Harry Potters, just as the books are must-reads. If you've seen it at the cinemas it's still worth buying, just so that you can know that it's there to watch at any time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not the best..., 23 Feb 2006
Mr. J. WARE "wolvieware" (London) - See all my reviews
After the incredible, adult-orientated Prisoner of Azkaban, the fourth outing for Potter, Goblet of Fire, seems to be a backwards step towards the more kiddie style of the first two films.
The main reason for that fact is because the film-makers virtually tried to squeeze the entire 600 page novel into a 2 and a half hour running time. That was a mammoth task, done pretty well, but as far as adaptations go, its not even the best in this series.
Out go a few major plot lines, like Hermione's Elf campaign, but everything else is bunged into the script into a reduced form. Scenes that were pages long in the book get reduced to a couple of minutes of film, which I felt gave the film a feeling of being rushed, unfulfilled plotlines and a confusing style if you HADN'T read the book.
Harry Potter newbies (if, indeed, there are any?!) should avoid. This will only confuse them. But for the real fan, Goblet of Fire is impossible to dislike.
Being thrown into JK Rowling's world once again is always a delight, particularly as it is always how I imagined it from reading. The huge ensemble cast is a delight (even if the three main leads still disappoint), and the new characters and actors are embraced into the series with welcome arms. It's only annoying that firm favourites like Sirius and Snape just don't get enough screen time!
The film mostly revolves around the Tri-Wizard tournament, and the three contests really are the action highlights of the film. The rest of the film only bridges the gap between the next test. ost memorable is an encounter with a dragon, expanded on superbly from the book.
Much has been made of the super-scary ending - finally he who must not be named is revealed in all his disgusting glory, and its the true highlight of the film. Yes, it's dark, sure it could be scary for very young kids, but my 9 year old neice was fine with the dark horror nature of the finale.
Still, it doesn't matter if this film was absolute rubbish - it would still sell by the bucketload, and we're virtually guaranteed a film of book 5 - so its refreshing that the film makers don't rest on their laurels, and at least try to make a film thats better than the last.
Looking at the extras, its also worth noting that there is more on how they made the film and behind the scenes, rather than the earlier films DVD releases that just gave us set-top games and quizzes. The making ofs should be interesting, and I look forward to discovering how they created some of the scenes.

3.0 out of 5 stars An illusion, 23 Mar 2006
There are so many details and events missing. In truth i'm not totally surprised, because this film is a similar length to the first, although the book is almost 4 times the length of the original.
Disappointing for those who read the books and know the FULL story. A reasonable film if you havent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think of it as a 'greatest hits' collection..., 17 Feb 2006
John Tansey (UK) - See all my reviews
The arduous task of transfering "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" from the page to the screen was always going to result in some plot being missed out. For me, the fourth book is still my favourite; its full of adventure as well as new revelations about Harry and his arch nemesis Voldemort and the criticism that has been poured on this film is that it misses out much of the book's depth.
That I agree with, but I don't think it makes the movie a poor effort. I like to think of it as "Goblet of Fire: Greatest Hits" - the highlights of the book put up on the silver screen. Fans who have read the book will know each intricate plot detail anyway, and for the casual viewer the movie contains just enough to help them follow the story.
The story I don't need to tell, you know it already I'm sure. You should also know that it's young cast gets better with each movie they do and the special effects live up to their name. If the DVD follows the same formula as the previous three, and from the extras list here then I think it does, we're all in for a treat. Whether the movie itself is worthy of 5 stars or not I'm unsure; but for the simple fact it made me feel 12 again is enough to make me recommed it to anyone who wants a little magic in their lives.

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting better...., 1 Mar 2006
I was very keen to see just how a book like Goblet of Fire was going to be translated into a film. Not only is the book huge, it takes a turn towards real violence and death that has only been alluded to before, plus the characters themselves are changing. They've hit their teens and experiencing all the angst that goes with that. So how does the film do? Well it has merits and flaws...
First the merits... It manages to hit the main thrust of the book well and generally captures the spirit of what happens, moving the plot forward to Book 5. It cut out the House Elf sub-plot (thank goodness). The effects are excellent and the young actors are growing in stature (both physically and in their performances). Daniel Radcliffe deserves particular mention as he has improved greatly and really now seems to be under the skin of his alterego not to mention all the fantastic work he did doing the underwater scenes. They are all the more effective for it. I also liked the way his growing crush on Cho Chang was dealt with. Katie Leung was well cast for her looks and her charming Scots accent and generally the rest of the casting was good, including Miranda Richardson as evil journalist Rita Skeeter.
Now the flaws... I am sure most people would agree that fitting in such a big story requires deft editing. But the film rattles through as if each scene is a set piece in itself to explain a particular plot point. I think it would have been better to take a breath now and again instead of spending so much time on scenes like the dragon test which is way too long in my opinion. Some of the moments are overdone, particularly in the relationship between Ron and Hermione which boils over to a point where it no longer relates to the book (heck by the end of Book 6 they have barely acknowledged their real feelings!). I was also quite disappointed with the great 'unveiling' of Voldemort. Not as scary as I'd hoped and strangely the long-winded exposition comes across like a bad episode of Scooby Doo when on film rather than in print. Hopefully more chance for Fiennes to grow into this in OOTP? But my biggest source of frustration is that Michael Gambon's Dumbledore still bears no resemblance to the character I know, either physically or in his personality. JKR's Dumbledore is quirky but not loud or aggressive. He emanates power, he is tall and thin with a white beard not a straggly grey one. I suspect Michael Gambon (whom I am usually a big fan of) simply wants to differentiate his own performance from the late Richard Harris, who in my eyes was perfectly cast. This is a great shame as it spoils the films for me. When I saw 'Troy' it occurred to me that Peter O'Toole might have been a better choice?
So some major and minor flaws and some things to celebrate. I think this film visually was the most successful of the four and the promise is of even better to come, particularly in the performances of the young actors. As a fan of the books, I found the film enjoyable and on the whole true to their spirit - but I hope for more improvements in the next installment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasing entry with a rousing finish, 22 Jun 2012
Mr. Ja McLaughlin "Tony mac1" (Dunfermline) - See all my reviews
Given their usual labyrinthine plots, this Potter instalment seems relatively story-light for much of its duration. It jogs along pleasantly enough, with some big set pieces like the Quidditch World Cup and the first two challenges of the Tri-Wizard tournament providing the usual effects-heavy action, but you do find yourself wondering where it is all going and just how many adolescent growing pains you can take over two and a half hours. There's also the nagging feeling that the whole concept of the tournament simply doesn't make sense, even in a fantasy film. I mean can we really swallow the idea of schools so willingly putting the lives of their pupils in mortal danger for the sake of a competition? Wouldn't the parents have something to say about this - not to mention the law? Who on earth would sanction such behaviour? It reminds me of one of the chief mysteries of the whole Potter movie franchise - it's yet to be explained what the role of wizards in the world actually is. Where did they come from? What, if any, wider global purpose do they have? What is their relationship with the `muggle' world?

Anyway, while mulling all this over, the film - with about 45 minutes still to go - rather unexpectedly lifts into another gear and becomes startling, even compelling stuff. Much of the reason for this is that director Mike Newell effectively turns the last third into a full-blown horror film, with few compromises given to youthful audiences or age restrictions. A truly scary third challenge in a creepy, living maze then morphs into a graveyard confrontation with the evil Lord Voldemort - now back in physical form and helped no end by the brilliant casting of Ralph Fiennes. The usual round of intrigues, betrayals and secret agendas quickly follow and the first major death of the series heralds that a line has been crossed into more adult fare.

The acting is a big help in this movie. The kids still have their limitations though Daniel Radcliffe's Harry now seems to have the range and confidence to cope with the more serious stuff; but it's the supporting cast of character actors who come off best here. Michael Gambon's Dumbledore, quietly introduced in the previous film, gets his first real chance to shine. His gruff, physical, business-like performance is quite different from Richard Harris's more benign approach - but it gradually impresses. Brendan Gleason chews the scenery very amusingly as Mad-Eyed Moody and Fiennes' belated but spectacular turn as the dark lord pitches the whole franchises into previously uncharted areas of pure evil and real, adult danger.

Overall, Goblet takes its time to really get going and you could argue that a lack of consistent focus is its one serious failing, but it pays off in the end and suggests even better will follow in the future.

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire
Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire by Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Jason Isaacs, Eric Sykes, Timothy Spall, David Tennant, Mark Williams, Robbie Coltrane, Roger Lloyd-Pack, Katie Leung, Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith, Brendan Gleeson, Gary Oldman & Ralph Fiennes Daniel Radcliffe (Blu-ray)
7.99