4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent upgrade from iPhone 3GS/3G
Published on 31 Jan 2012 by Mr. T. F. Norton

3.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, needlessly restricted by Apple
There's no doubt that from the moment you take the Iphone 4s out of it's neat and tidy packaging that it is a quality piece of kit. My 4s was an upgrade from a HTC Desire that I'd had and been reasonably happy with for about 2 years.
Published on 24 July 2012 by Stuart D. Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, needlessly restricted by Apple, 24 July 2012
Stuart D. Johnson "thejonsoon" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPhone 4S 16GB SIM-Free - Black (Electronics)
However, from the moment I switched the iPhone 4s on I was staggered by the difference in quality of the hardware. I do like my technology but am generally somewhere just behind cutting edge and won't pay a premium to be the first to own something but I find it hard to see how the display on a device this small could possibly be any better.
Touch screen operation is smooth and responsive, even with a screen protector and although the phone seems too weighty to be able to survive a fall, I've dropped mine many times over the 7 months I've had it and it's barely sustained a scratch.
Also worth giving a thumbs-up to are the camera (quick, intuitive, very good quality) and the loudspeaker sound - the clarity is a huge leap from the tinny noise from my 3rd gen Ipod Touch.
My brother and my girlfriend have the Samsung Galaxy S2, which is a fantastic phone, but in my geekiest of dreams, the Iphone 4s would have an Android operating system and no link with b*!@dy iTunes.
For it is the whole restrictive Apple policy/policies that tarnish my iPhone 4s experience. I want to use my phone almost as a micro PC, swap files between devices and operating systems and also have a tinker through root folders and see what I can play around with on MY hardware (yes Apple, I own this phone and would like to do what I want with it). Blatantly, Apples restrictive practices are not designed to enhance user experiences, they are strategically designed to make our other devices obsolete and the purchase of other Apple products more desirable, even practical. I'll stop short at having a rant at Apple - afterall, any company in their position of market dominance will exploit that position to stay there. But adding media content to your phone for instance can be frustrating - no dragging and dropping files into a folder on your phone from a PC, or even setting a song as your ringtone from your device.

If you just want a phone to talk and text, get a basic handset that will cost a fraction of an iPhone 4s.
If you want a phone, photo album, MP3 player and portable PC in one, maybe look at a Galaxy S2/3.
If your phone is some kind of status symbol, get an iPhone. It may be the most impressive looking phone on the market, but it's potential means little if you can't unlock all of it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst customer service I have ever received, this has to be a scam!!!!, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Apple iPhone 4S 16GB SIM-Free - Black (Electronics)
On the 25th of April I bought an IPhone 4s 16GB of this company. It was just after my birthday and I was gonna spend my birthday money from my family on this new phone. The phone was sold to me as unlocked and I couldn't wait to start using it. When it arrived it would for some reason not accept my SIM card so I suspected that the phone was in fact locked which was clearly not what I had paid for. So I called up Major Deal and spoke to a woman in The customer service department. She told me that I had two choices! - either I could try and connect my phone to iTunes, or I could go to a shop and pay for it to be unlocked myself. Great. It all ended up with me having to change provider which has been an absolute nightmare! Thinking that I would never need to speak to Major Deal again, I moved past that problem and started to use my new used phone. But it certainly does not end here!!! Last night, after 3 months of purchase, I put my phone on charge, and as I woke up the phone had turned itself off and refused to turn on again. I then gave Major Deal a call again and explained the problem. This time I spoke to a man in the customer service department who said that my two month warranty had expired and that they had no responsibility for my phone anymore. He was very rude to me an said : "we'll, it's not a big problem, I assume you have another handset lying around." He then told me to go straight to Apple and pay about £70 in repairs. I went out o my way to go to the nearest Apple store which is 10 miles away and they took a look at the phone. As far as they could see someone had been meddling inside the actual phone and that the chip which controls the phone was scratched. I can assure you that I would never attempt to open up such an expensive phone!! He told me that there was no way of repairing it and that I would have to pay £139 for a new one. He then advised me of the EU Statutory Consumer Rights, which clearly state that unless I have bought the phone from a private seller, the company HAS to provide me
With at least 2 years warranty and that within the first 6 months it is up to the company to prove that the damage was my fault! So I thought to myself that I would point that out to them at Major Deal. I went back an gave them a call and was promised a call back. This never happened, so after waiting for an hour I then called again and spoke to a woman this time. I explained to her what my statutory rights were and I also pointed out that they had made false advertisement as they sold me an unlocked phone and that it was in fact locked. She told me that she had never ever heard of any EU statutory consumer law and that if I ha a problem with my phone I should have called within my two months warranty period. She explained that if the phone was locked she would have given me the code to unlock it for free over the phone the first time I called and basically called me a big at liar!!! I asked her if their calls were not recorded and she said "sometimes" which was no help to me. She also told me that she and another man, the rude one, were the only two working in the customer service department, so she was completely contradicting herself and I became very upset. She said that because the handsets were second hand they didn't have to abide to any EU laws, but the law clearly states that whenever a company sells something to a consumer, whether it be second hand, the consumer has put their trust in this company and their rights will not change. This company is breaking the law and where I can I will spread the word as I don't wish what I have been through with them upon my worst enemies!!! I have now drove all the way to Apple to pay £139 for a new phone. This company has so far costed me £414.99 pound for a phone, £20 pound in phone calls, £30 pound in travelling fees and disappointment which I have never felt before. Completely destroyed my trust in them and also Amazon for having them as sellers on their website!!! Please do not purchase of them, go straight to Apple as it will cost you less and you will get what has been sold to you! Stay far away from these liars!!!! I have lost all my holiday pictures, all my phone numbers an everything else that was stored on this phone!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent upgrade from iPhone 3GS/3G, 31 Jan 2012
Mr. T. F. Norton (Maidstone, UK) - See all my reviews
My previous phone was the 3GS (32GB). Overall it was an excellent phone. It had its flaws - mostly the more fiddly components breaking, such as the vibrate-only button and the power on/off button failing after 2 years. It also struggled with iOS 5 - clearly an operating system designed for the latest phone. However, in comparison to the 3GS, the 4S is much faster, much more responsive and in general a superior experience. This was the phone iOS 5 was meant for.

In this regard, if you're approaching the end of your contract on the older iPhones (and you like the iPhone in general!) then I definitely recommend this phone. The camera is a LOT better (higher resolution, flash, better image quality, better autofocus). The phone has more RAM than the previous generation versions - so no more random closures of Safari or other apps. (This was a more common occurrence with iOS 5 on my 3GS - presumably because it was more resource intensive.)

Battery life seems to be perfectly good - I'm definitely not charging it as frequently as my old phone. I use the internet (both wifi and 3G) quite a lot, and also listen to a lot of music from my phone. I used to have to charge daily to keep up. You can easily stretch out usage to two days with the 4S. The only thing you should make sure is that you disable some of the location services (e.g. automatic time zone checking). These are an unnecessary burden on the battery and I imagine it's because of this some people find the battery longevity unacceptable. You should Google this to read about it.

I have the phone connected to a wireless N router, and the higher speeds make syncing over wifi more feasible - (albeit a battery drain). I would definitely suggest your first sync (when you're bound to be transferring gigabytes of data in one hit) be done via a cable, but after that any incremental changes work fairly quickly over wifi. This was something I had abandoned on my old 3GS - it just wasn't worth the hassle. I believe updates to the OS are now delta-updates - this means that you shouldn't have to download the entire OS for every single update but just the extra bit that you don't have. Again, this makes wifi-sync more friendly too.

The only real grumbles I have with the iPhone are long-standing ones:

(1) Still no Flash support in Safari. It seems crazy now - especially when you can purchase secondary browsers (such as Skyfire) which do work with Flash. Apple's resistance now seems to be solely a reluctance to go back on their original decision. However, like I said for a few pennies you can circumvent this issue.

(2) The cost differences between the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB variants are nothing short of scandalous. In my particular upgrade deal, the difference between 16GB and 32GB was over 100 pounds, and from 32GB to 64GB another 130 pounds on top of that. Memory does not cost that much! It never has and it likely never will. I was hamstrung by my own finances in this case - I'm sure there are many others out there with an iTunes music/video library into the 50GB+ range now. I'm syncing a lean version of my music to this phone, and I'd rather spend the 100 difference on an actual iPod with plenty more space than any of these phones. If you have a big music collection, don't be duped into the larger versions, just go out and buy an iPod. Most of the time you can take your entire collection with you, and the rest of the time your favourites can be kept on your phone.

Barring these issues, I'm delighted with this phone. The only thing I can't talk to with any real knowledge is how useful an upgrade it is from the 4G, but from the 3G/3GS it is a no-brainer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best smart phone to date, but not worth it as an upgrade unless you have an iPhone 3G or older, 26 Oct 2011
Big Bad Bill "Big Bad Bill" (Somwhere on the Celtic Fringe) - See all my reviews
iOS 5.1 UPDATE: I updated both my iPhone 4S and my 1st Gen iPAd to iOS 5.1 five days ago (I also updated my wifes iPhone 4). This update came to the phone directly via wifi and installed quickly on the 4S. The same update took much longer on the A4 powered iPhone 4 and iPad. This is perhaps the first time I have seen a big speed difference between the iPhone 4S and the older 4. Battery life has improved but only slightly. the 5.01 update made a bigger battery life difference for me. However this update has given you the ability to switch of 3G, leaving the phone to use 2G. Doing this can substantially increase battery life, and it is easy to re-enable 3G if you need to browse on the go away from your wifi. The other significant improvement is the camera is easier to access from the lock screen. The map app seems to have had an upgrade as well (although perhaps I had missed this function before), but now it will rotate the map as you turn making it more useful for navigation.

THREE MONTH UPDATE: I have been using the iPhone 4S for just over three months now. I thought that it would be good to give a general update as I have been using the phone long enough now for that initial shine that new purchases have to have worn off. I am happy to say that the phone has performed almost flawlessly during those three months, and having experienced all the smartphone systems except Windows, I am still more than happy to say that this is the best smartphone available. My only regret is that I opted for the 16GB rather than 32 or 64GB versions. Still given how much you can trade in even an old iPhone 3GS for compared with other brands, I feel it likely that I will get enough for my 4S in two years to allow me to get a 32 or 64GB iPhone 5(S) without feeling guilty. One tip if like me you use your phone calender, is that I would recommend the 'Week Cal' app which has a week view that the native calender does not. It also allows you to individually colour entries (say a different colour for different types of events) in the way you can in MS Outlook. It is fully compatible with all calenders that the iPhone can synch with. Highly recommended as a significant way to improve the iPhone.

The first thing I need to say is that the Apple iPhone 4S is the best smart phone in the market at present, and unless something radical happens will probably be the best smart phone until the iPhone 5 is released. I am not going to labour all the features, these have been well covered in the description and the previous reviews. However I will say that this phone is definitely not worth upgrading to from the iPhone 4 and even if you have an iPhone 3GS I would say it would be better to wait until the next generation iPhone comes out. The reason I say this is that this phone has really only two differences from the iPhone 4 - Siri and a higher resolution camera. I will discuss these first.

Siri - this is a novelty, it is worth a few minutes of fun when you just get the phone, but like all computer speech recognition I have tried, it really does not work. No matter how often I tried to get it to set a reminder it insisted I was saying remainder. I asked it to phone Alison Allen and it thought I said phone Linda Robinson! Strangely it did understand when I asked it to open the pod bay doors!

Camera - Great much much better than any other mobile phone camera I have used, better even than the camera on my old Nokia N95 and N97 phones which were head and shoulders the best phone cameras at the time those phones came out. This is a clear advantage over the iPhone 3GS, but in truth the iPhone 4 camera is also very good. More mega pixels is not the be all for digital cameras. Until they build in an optical zoom lens all I would ever see the phone camera as being for is taking a snap to use as the wall paper for the phone, and for this the 4S camera is no better than that on the 4. It is however faster which could allow you to get a picture of a dog or child that tends not to stay still for too long.

Processor Speed - the 4S is faster than the 4, but you only see it with the very biggest apps. Pages opens noticeably faster on my iPhone 4S than on my wife's iPhone 4, as does the novelty app Talking Tom. However with smaller apps it is very hard to notice any differences. Once running I can see no differences in any app (other than the camera) in terms of speed. Therefore I would conclude that in terms of speed it would not be worth upgrading from an iPhone 4. May be from the 3GS, but I also compared the speed of my 4S against my 3rd Gen iPod Touch which has a similar processor to the 3GS and again for most apps there is no obvious advantage speed wise. Therefore I am not convinced that in terms of speed this is worth upgrading to even from the 3GS.

However this is my first iPhone, and as such I am delighted with it. If they had kept the iPhone 4 16GB model I may however have opted to get it (due to cost) rather than the 4S, but now the iPhone 4 is only available in 8GB it was not an option for me. If Apple had released the phone starting at the same price with a 4 inch screen (biggest that is practical based on playing with a few Android large screen phones) and a starting capacity of 32GB then I would have said that it was worth upgrading to even from the iPhone 4.

A few points about the battery performance. There has been a lot on the internet and even the BBC website about the iPhone 4S draining its battery very quickly. To a certain extent this is true. My 4S goes through its battery faster than any phone I have used in the past with the exception of my Samsung Galxay Ace (Android). However this is mostly to do with the default settings. The iPhone 4S running iOS5 is set to do a lot of reporting back to Apple, to use the iCloud and to keep a very close eye on its physical location. A lot of this adds useful functionality to the phone but for many users it is not needed. Spend a few minutes checking the settings for iCloud and Location services, turn blue tooth off etc and you will find the 4S battery will last at least as long as rivals if not quite as long as the iPhone 4 (I get almost two days,from 100% at 6am on one day to 10pm on the next day, compared with about 2 and a half days for my wife's iPhone 4). We all want super battery performance but the increased functionality with the iPhone 4S and iOS 5 does come with a power use cost. In comparison to get my Samsung's battery to last from morning to evening I have had to disable all communications other than the basic connection to the cell network, I have had to keep the screen dim to the point of being difficult to read and have the screen go black so quickly that any pause in using the phone necessitates you reawakening it. So yes there is a slight battery issue with the iPhone 4S, but it has been blown up out of proportion by those who seek to exaggerate every issue with this Apple device. I do wish they would implement a useful feature my BlackBerry had - the ability for the phone to automatically shut down at a set time at night and to reawaken at a set time in the morning or earlier if an alarm was set. That allowed me to get 3 to 3.5 days on a charge with the BlackBerry and also stopped emails and texts disturbing my sleep if I was using the phone as my alarm clock.

UPDATE. The first update to iOS 5 (5.01) came through on Friday. My phone was mid charge at the time. I fully charged it overnight so that it was at 100% at 7am on Saturday morning when I disconnected it from the charger. At the time of typing it is 52 hours 40 minutes since the phone was last on charge and I have still got 40% battery life left. This is excellent for such a high spec smart phone.

SECOND UPDATE. In the above review I am quite negative about Siri. Over the period since October I have to admit that Siri seems to be improving. It now manages to do what I ask about 70% of the time. A better performance than I ever got out of Dragon software on a PC many times more powerful than the iPhone. A few more thoughts about battery life. I noticed that my battery life was slowly deteriorating again. Some investigation showed me that what apps you have installed can greatly influence battery life. It seems nearly every app you install now wants to send data back to the creator. I don't like this and having ditched several such recently installed apps, my battery again lasts 2 to 2.5 days.

1.0 out of 5 stars Comments about my i phone just received, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Apple iPhone 4S 16GB SIM-Free - Black (Electronics)
I'm very disappointed with this handset simply because you selling an item with very little scratches or light scratch on the screen,but to my big surprise the handset I received had on screen a very deep long cut which was unbearable to been seen and look at , and I have already change it for £45.00
This is for your information only.
I kept the screen of the phone supplied for souvenir from your unreliable supplier.
G.levoyannis

1.0 out of 5 stars locked phone, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Apple iPhone 4S 16GB SIM-Free - Black (Electronics)
it does not show on the advert it is locked, and when i got it , the phone is locked to t mobile, while i get only 3 network, not happy with it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Some flaws, but overall, GREAT, 25 Oct 2011
Siri is surprisingly useful; I had initially dismissed this as a gimmick. It is very well executed.

The time taken for the camera to 'wake up' and take photos is much improved. With my iPhone 4, I was frustrated as you just look at a black screen, and wait for that circle to appear and open out. Although it's only a matter of seconds, the moment may have passed. With the 4S, it's near-instant.

Also, the time in between photos is reduced i.e. you can continue to take photos in succession, with no problem at all.

The most disappointing thing for me has been the reduced battery life (compared with the iPhone 4).
I have found a way to improve this:
1. Don't install 'Find My Friends' or delete it, if you have it. I find that it drains the battery
2. Go into location services and turn off GPS for apps e.g. Evernote

Honestly, if you have an iPhone 4, I don't think this is worth the upgrade, unless you have spare cash and just like playing with new gadgets. If you have an iPhone 3GS, this is definitely worth buying.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's just ok., 9 July 2012
C. Sanders "CJS" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPhone 4S 16GB SIM-Free - Black (Electronics)
This is my second iphone after the 3GS and it's quite difficult to know exactly where I stand on it.

As a pure phone (for making calls), it's rubbish, comfortably the worst I have ever had including my good old Nokias. It drops calls all the time and there's plenty of interference on the ear speaker (sent it back once for this but all seem the same). It's just not a pleasant experience.

Most other things the phone can do / does are great, I very rarely have an issue with the software and it all runs smoothly. It all runs pretty slickly. I use the phone for work and therefore use the emails however this unfortunately destroys battery life to the point if I am out the office all day and the email is set to push emails through, it will be dead by 5pm. Why can't we attach photos to emails from the mail screen? Only way is to go into the photo and forward the photo but this means starting a new email chain. Odd omission by apple.

Battery life - as said above this is rubbish. Then people say if you turn this and that off, it improves it. I agree but then you turn off the reason for having an iphone!

Siri - really don't get it. Unless this was perfect every time, it's just quicker to press 1 button and call my girlfriend rather than argue with Siri over which person with the same name I want to call and convince it I don't want to call her blackberry. It's just a gimmick to me and I feel like a moron speaking slowly to my phone!

Notification centre - again, zero point. Never or will use it. When i open it, it's just full of old notifications.

Safari - just gets stuck all the time and appears to be flickering in and out of a decent connection. I'm in London on Vodafone, really shouldn't be a problem.

I think next time I def look into the Samsungs. At close to £200, I'm struggling to justify that for what is an ok phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars TERRIBLE, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Apple iPhone 4S 16GB SIM-Free - Black (Electronics)
Terrible unhelpful customer service after purchasing the phone and Major deal has sold me a faulty phone!
They only offer 2 month warranty as the phones break after 5months, they are quick to take your money.
DO NOT BE FOOLED by the reviews that they have on their website, each review is 'vetted' by a member of staff and only 'good ones' filter through which they probably write themselves!
WASTE OF MONEY BE WARE!
I am £229 down and the company is refusing to fix or repair, I wish I had gone to a more reputable

5.0 out of 5 stars Radical voice control, but mainly via wifi, 15 Oct 2011
Martin Turner "Martin Turner" (Marlcliff, Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
The iPhone 4S resembles the iPhone 4 almost exactly*, but inside it is a substantially improved phone. As importantly, it introduces Siri, the first voice-control system that I've tried which really does work. When it's working it seems more or less like magic. However, it needs wifi and fast wifi at that to work properly. Overall we are delighted with these phones, and would recommend to any 3GS users out there. iPhone 4 users need to decide how important the faster response, better camera, and, above all, voice control is to them...

The three big features in depth

1) Speed
The iPhone 4S is more than twice as fast as the iPhone 4. This is important, because anything less than twice as fast doesn't really feel much different. It's especially noticeable when taking pictures (virtually no lag), when downloading email, when opening web pages, and when running searches of all kinds. I'm told that this speed hike is down to a 2x speed processor, a much faster graphic chip, and much faster 3G connection. The technical can figure out exactly what difference all that makes. The difference in my hand, though, is that things which seemed sluggish before now feel quick, and things that felt quick now feel instant.

2) Camera
The 8MP camera on the rear of the iPhone 4S is higher resolution than my first digital SLR. However, megapixels aren't everything, and on a very small sensor of the kind they put in phones, more megapixels means more noise, less dynamic range, and poorer colour, all other things being equal. I was a bit sceptical of the new camera. The autofocus is vastly improved, the colours are much better, it's really, really quick, and built in HDR means that it's now capturing shots that really look like they've come from a camera, not from a phone. The price of this, of course, is that the images are now 2.8 MB, which means you'll almost certainly want to scale them down before sending to most people, which slightly wastes the point of having 8 megapixels. If you're not convinced, I'm uploading a picture of some home grown tomatoes -- it's scaled down, but you can still see how true the colours are.

3) Siri
I've flirted with voice control on various things for years. IBM Via Voice, the Mac's own speech recognition, the TomTom, and Dragon Naturally Speaking, Vlingo and many others. None of them have ever really been much use to me. Dragon especially cost me more time correcting what it thought I'd said than I ever saved by using it. With Siri, I was able to send an email word-perfect, make an appointment (and have it offer to call the person I wanted to meet), find stuff on the internet and generally get done what I wanted done, all without any hassle whatsoever.
In a very real sense, Siri 'just works'.
In another sense, it doesn't.
The difficulty is that Siri is using Apple's own computers elsewhere to work out what you've said, so a slow connection over 3G, or over slow wifi, or over quick wifi when there's a lot of traffic on your system (for example, you are running a big TimeMachine backup) means that it goes a lot slower and gives up half the time. Unless you live in a city where there's lots of public wifi that isn't overloaded (I personally find that The Cloud and Openzone are usually slower for most tasks than 3G), don't expect to walk down the street barking out instructions to your iPhone and have it follow them. The noise doesn't seem to bother it very much (in itself quite impressive), but slow connection means essentially no Siri.**
The other thing you can't do is "find me an Italian restaurant", because that feature is currently only available in the USA. You can say "find me an Italian restaurant in central Birmingham on the web" and it will go straight to Google and find it for you, but that isn't quite the same as advertised.

iOS 5
iOS 5 comes with more than 200 new features, almost all of which work on the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4 (though not the 3G), except for Siri which is 4S only. I upgraded my 3GS to iOS 5 a couple of days before the iPhone 4S arrived. There are some brilliant new features, especially to do with the camera, a lot of tweaks, and the addition of iCloud online storage. All these work on all three phones. You only get 5GB with iCloud, unless you want to pay more, so I immediately turned off remote backup on all my iOS devices. Still, it's very good for taking a photo on one device and having it on another instantly without having to do anything about it. However, all these are arguments to stick with the phone you've got, rather than go for the iPhone 4S.

Conclusion
A lot of people were very disappointed that the iPhone 4S wasn't called the iPhone 5. I'm not really sure why a different name would be important. Others were disappointed that it had the same case design. For me, a different case design would have been a deal breaker, as it wouldn't have fitted in the built-in iPhone cradle in my car. All in all, this is a powerful, quick device which looks good and feels sleek (possibly too sleek -- like the iPhone 4, it's a bit slippery and probably easy to drop). The call quality is very good indeed, and, thus far, I haven't noticed any signal drop outs - or, at least, no more than you've always had with mobile phones.

Overall, we are very impressed, despite the difficulty of using Siri away from fast wifi.

*the positions of some of the controls have changed a millimetre or so. And you can easily get it in white. Otherwise, that's it.
**update: a couple of days later, Siri seems to be working rather better, including over 3G (but not Edge). Web-chatter suggests that the patchy performance on launch day was due to approx 2 million people all trying to demo Siri at the same time. Still no improvement on the Italian restaurant problem, though.

Apple iPhone 4S 16GB SIM-Free - Black