4.0 out of 5 stars On the fence
Overall a pretty entertaining read, Work! Consume! Die, has three recurring sections:

Published on 28 Dec 2011 by M. Duncan

1.0 out of 5 stars Tripe
Published 5 days ago by F. O'Keeffe

4.0 out of 5 stars On the fence, 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: Work! Consume! Die! (Hardcover)

firstly there are surreal short stories apparently based on the author's life. These are very inventive, satirical, and dark. They generally paint a portrait of the writer as a drug-addled, envious, celebrity-hating sociopath. I'd like to see Frankie Boyle write more short stories based on these samples.

Then there are sections where the Boyle gives seemingly straightforward criticisms of aspects of society, and how people kid themselves.. I find these sections extremely refreshing, both in their honesty, and in their harsh indictment of the consumer based culture we have. Boyle has the gift of being funny even whilst he is preaching from the pulpit. These were my favourite parts of the book, but also, sadly, the shortest.

The majority of the book, and the one that I expect will play to Boyle's largest fanbase, are the long sections of risque jokes about celebrities and politics and so on. Pretty much typical stand up routine stuff, about how fat James Corden is, or how Jordan has fake breasts, just a bit riskier jokes. I understand that parts of W!C!D! are culled from the author's Sun columns. I haven't read these columns, but I am guessing that these are those parts. The gags are pretty funny, and even if you don't like a few, they come so thick and fast, that there's bound to be a funnier one coming up in a few sentences time.

The uneasy feeling that I got from all this was the contradiction between the parts of the book. Frankie Boyle obviously sees himself as the heir to Bill Hicks and Lenny Bruce: a comedian who tells it like it is about our sick, celebrity obsessed culture. The problem is that Frankie Boyle comes across as more celebrity-obsessed than anyone, since all his jokes are about D-list celebrities. It could be an ironic stance, but I suspect it is more about paying the bills. I understand his justification for doing Sun columns is that he is sugaring the pill so he can spread his message to a wider audience. Based on what's on offer here, it's all sugar, and no pill. Interestingly, at this point in his career, Frankie Boyle is stuck on the fence between taking cash from the Sun for saying daringly rude things about celebrities we love to hate, and making interesting and truly subversive comments about our culture. He could go either way. I, for one, hope that he forsakes some of the fast money and drops the celebrity bashing in favour of his more interesting stuff. After all, in twenty years time, nobody is going to know who James Corden or Katie Price are, but people will still listen to Bill Hicks recordings.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Work of Cynical Comic Genius!, 13 Nov 2011
This review is from: Work! Consume! Die! (Hardcover)
A fair account of a man contemplating suicide in an absurd world, but being too sociopathic to get the job done. A great antidote to reality and welcome return from one of the most important comics of his generation!

Frankie lays waste, in typical Frankie Boyle fashion, to the banality of existence through a series of hilarious vignettes on popular culture, politics and world affairs. One gets the sense of Boyle as a latter day Oscar Wilde; had Wilde been straight, foul mouthed, Scottish and a world weary harbinger of a doomed future.

In a culture so marred with demogogues trying to manipulate our worldview, in the most superficial and mundane way possible, Frankie emerges as somewhat of a comic 'Christ' figure or 'Neo'; showing us how far the rabbit hole really goes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tripe, 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: Work! Consume! Die! (Paperback)
By far the most brainless, pointless pile of leftie drivel I have ever read. Boyle's 'wisdom' is probably epitomised by his virulent condemnation of the fact that Ricky Gervais, in making the Office, got paid considerably more than a real office worker does. So, his target for the iniquities of the modern economy are comedians who appear on TV and sell DVDs of the material they make? Right. Boyle seems oblivious to just how brainless and hypocritical he is in making this observation, and the rest of the book is pretty much more of the same, but what do you expect from a guy who recently, and very vocally, called for the BBC to sack Jeremy Clarkson because the Top Gear presenter is 'offensive'. Yep, you really couldn't make this sort of stuff up. Why is is that lefties, despite spouting such idiotic, hypocritical drivel, always seem to think that free speech only applies to them? I used to love Frankie Boyle, by the time I finished this turd I couldn't stand him. Feeble.

4.0 out of 5 stars My kind of scum., 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Work! Consume! Die! (Hardcover)
If you think the world around you is absurd and just plain wrong, then this nihilistic-existentialist book provides a welcome catharsis to your hellish existence.

Conversely, if you read and enjoy the Daily Mail and write letters to Ofcom, which complain about the profane vernacular of BBC panel shows, then reading this book will make your head explode, whilst simultaneously smashing you through the space-time continuum.

Not every joke lands, but most of them do.

Frankie is one of the funniest comedians in the UK, which is probably why he's not allowed on television any more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frankie is back on song, 4 Nov 2011
nik26 (Humberside) - See all my reviews
This is Boyle's best work in some time. Its been a thoroughly entertaining read so far. His 'everything is fair game' approach Isn't for everyone and he's come in for some stick over the years of course. Its interesting that he does touch on this in the book, many wouldn't have.

As ever he pushes boundaries, this isn't what I'd call a 'family' book, but perhaps it should be as an antidote to the insular, nanny state where caution and risk adversity reign supreme.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as his first book!, 23 Feb 2012
This review is from: Work! Consume! Die! (Hardcover)
i found myself flicking past pages as some of his long diatribes about reality television just were nto funny

I thought his first book, although different in tone, was a much funnier read than this

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, with random extreme offensiveness, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: Work! Consume! Die! (Hardcover)
If you've seen Frankie Boyle in action you know the kind of thing, a razor wit with nothing off limits. He certainly puts it out there in the intro, almost like he's drawing a line in the sand, "I refuse to play safe and be commercial".
I often find those bits too much, and feel that he sometimes uses the 'I can't believe he wrote that' reaction as an easy laugh. Though he does say he believes that laughing about things takes the sting out of them, cuts them down to size. And then, later, much to his credit, wonders whether laughing about something is a cowardly way to avoid doing something about it, so that we should only joke about things we can't change. Like... disabilities. That's our Frankie.
And when he's being genuine like that you gotta love him. He often seems to end chapters on a passionate note. Not as downbeat as the title might suggest, nor as flippant.
A lot of the names he mentions in his rants on popular culture are unfamiliar to me. I guess he doesn't have much of a following outside the UK, so he didn't have Australia (for instance) much in mind. I found it pretty funny even without knowing the people, though I did eventually skim just a little bit. I may have given it more than four stars if I were British.
There's also an interesting idea (i.e. I don't think I got it) for a TV show woven into the start of some of the chapters, a surreal kind of parable and some day-to-day Frankie snippets. All very readable.
Frankie, why do you hide behind the yucky stuff? Let us love you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read all year., 30 Dec 2011
Just brilliant. The kind of book that makes you spit your coffee out over your keyboard. I always suspected that Frankie was heavily edited on the tv.. and now I know why!

4.0 out of 5 stars Frankie's dark ways are back, 7 Nov 2011
This review is from: Work! Consume! Die! (Hardcover)
So he's not exactly Mr. Compassion, but he is very funny. Frankie is as dark, cynical and sly as any fan of his could wish. I'm knocking off a star because he spends a long time laying into things he hates without any jokes, but not to worry. It's still funny and a long list of things to be reviled.

3.0 out of 5 stars A let down, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Work! Consume! Die! (Hardcover)
Not what I was expecting to be honest!