5.0 out of 5 stars Stan Getz Sublime!
Published on 5 Jan 2012 by Sentinel

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, music variable quality
All the tracks are well mastered, clear and good quality for old recordings. Now for the subjective bit:-
Published 19 months ago by Tempus Fugit

5.0 out of 5 stars Stan Getz Sublime!, 5 Jan 2012
Sentinel (Essex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 8 Classics (Audio CD)
This is a truly lovely collection from the melodic master. Disc 1 combines two live albums from Storyville, albeit with a running time of just under an hour, and that with 'Hershey Bar' strangely truncated. However, the material and performances here are simply sublime: gorgeously joyful, fresh melodies from Haig (piano), Raney (guitar), Kotick (bass) and Kahn (drums). There are no weak numbers here, quite the reverse, with my highlight being the exquisite 'The Song is You'.

Disc 2 combines 'Chamber Music' and 'For Musicians Only', with changes in the backing musicians, but no dilution of the quality of the playing, including memorable versions of 'Autumn Leaves' and 'These Foolish Things', while the latter album sees both Dizz Gillespie and Sonny Stitt join Getz in extended workouts 'Bebop', a lovely 'Dark Eyes', 'Wee' and 'Lover Come Back to Me', which range from over 8 to over 12 minutes each.

Disc 3 features a happy combination with Oscar Peterson's Trio, with quality & melody at the heart of everything, especially a lyrical 'Pennies from Heaven'. meanwhile 'Getz meets Mulligan in Hi-Fi' sees tenor and baritone horns interweave lushy rich ballads such as 'Let's Fall in Love' and 'That Old Feeling'. A truly magical cd altogether.

Disc 4 sees a substantial shift in style, with the Cal Tjader Sextet, with the dancing lightness of Tjader's vibes grounded in the legendary rhythm section of LaFaro and Higgins on bass and drums respectively. 'Cool Velvet' sees Getz creamy late-night refrain paint gentle pictures against an orchestral backwash; a little close at times to musical wallpaper, but always rescued in time, and with some truly addictive pieces to draw you back again.

So: a wonderfully rich selection of Getz's versatile and honeyed tones. Very limited biographical detail on the albums, and no context at all, but very good sound quality throughout. A gorgeous and sublime bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Track Listings-Lullaby Of Birdland,, 10 April 2012
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
After Sentinel's wonderful review
Thought the track listing and a list of the actual albums would be useful
The Albums are
Stan Getz at Storyville, Vol. 1 (1951)
Stan Getz at Storyville, Vol. 2 (1951)
Chamber Music (1953)
For Musicians Only (1956)
Stan Getz and The Oscar Peterson Trio (1957)
Getz Meets Mulligan In Hi-Fi (1957)
Stan Getz and The Cal Tjader Sextet (1958)
Cool Velvet: Getz and Strings (1960)

The listings and album on the CDs are

CD 1:

16. Nature Boy 2.58

5.0 out of 5 stars The best value set I've ever bought!, 25 May 2012
Kenneth J. Morris (Burton-upon Trent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 8 Classics (Audio CD)
I must admit to being not only a Getz fan and a Getz disc hoarder (over 100 CD's) but also a failed Getz imitator. Since the age of 16 I've listened to and tried to emulate the tenor sax genius from the Esquire 78's, through 45's and 10"/12" LP's to cassette tape and mini-disc. I thought I had most of his recorded work but this top-value 53 track 4-CD set brought me at least 20 tracks new to me. But it also brought an outstanding collection of some of his very best work recorded in the late '50's (with Petersen, Mulligan and Tjader). The very early 1951 Storyville Club tracks sound a little tired but the entire package charts the development of Stan's style from his first work as a leader to world class supremacy as a soloist with Norman Granz's touring JATP crews. Not a single bad track or solo - magnificent!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: 8 Classics (Audio CD)
It's hard to fault the value here and I've very much enjoyed hearing these tracks again. For me, the Oscar Peterson disc alone is worth the cost of entry. The publishers drop one star for failing to include a track listing but, happily, I was able to download this from another reviewer. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stan Getz Eight Classic Albums, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: 8 Classics (Audio CD)
I was a Stan Getz fan way back in the 60s and gave all my old records to charity a few years ago. I have returned to my favourite Jazz music and am so pleased I can replace my old records on Amazon with CDs.
The service regarding delivery and packaging is first class and the music is great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, music variable quality, 14 Sep 2012
This review is from: 8 Classics (Audio CD)
I am not a wholehearted admirer of Stan Getz or an authority on jazz, these are just my opinions. I find the recordings of very variable musical worth. Getz needs inspiration from those around him to play at his best - warm, lyrical, imaginative and yet disciplined. At his worst he can be something of a parody - empty virtuosity or maudlin sentiment with exaggerated breathy vibrato and sloppy sliding around in pitch. In this set by far the best recordings are with Oscar Peterson and Gerry Mulligan, these alone are worth buying the set for.
Perhaps the very best of Getz is in his Latin American tracks, which are not included.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Odd, 15 Sep 2012
This review is from: 8 Classics (Audio CD)
An excellent compilation. Sound quality is good throughout. The packaging is quite humorous. The 4 CD's are printed up to look like vinyl. My only niggle is the track listing. CD 2 has the track info for CD 1. Confused the hell out of me til I sussed it. I couldn't work out why I had ripped 4 CD's and only got three listings. A bit of editing and it's sorted. Lucky I had something good to listen to while I did all that keyboard shuffling.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 4 Mar 2013
A. WINFIELD (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 8 Classics (Audio CD)
I am no jazz fan but I love Stan Getz's slow relaxing Bossa Nova saxaphone music. Having 8 of his albums looked good value. Unfortunately his early stuff disappointed me. A lot of the tracks are fast skiffly session type music (as I said I am not a real jazz fan). For me disc 4 is better because the recording sounds better and the tracks are slower/more considered (but perhaps a little overproduced with the orchestra in background).

An interesting purchase.

ARRAY(0xa718e4e0)

8 Classics
8 Classics by Stan Getz (Audio CD - 2013)