4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Concept
Published 19 months ago by Jrc Salter

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and not worth the cost
Firstly, I want to say I read a lot of books, especially e-books (over 150 in the last year) and so I reckon I can assess when something is worth the cost and this book isn't. It is a so-called trilogy which is actually one book split into 3 parts to maximise the income for the publisher/author. The first book is not good enough to make you want to buy the other two...
Published on 5 Dec 2011 by Tobias Roote

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and not worth the cost, 5 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Fringe Worlds: (The Human Chronicles Saga Book #1) (Kindle Edition)

Frankly, whilst the plot is okay its not worth the total price you would pay for all 3 parts of the novel and I won't be buying 2 & 3 because if I wanted to spend that kind of money on a book I would pay for a well known author and get a thumping good read.

In fact I have had a lot of free books or 85p reads that have far exceeded this book in terms of readability and entertainment factor.

The content of the book itself is written okay but misses some excellent opportunities to expand the plot at various stages and get the reader involved.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Concept, 15 May 2013
Jrc Salter "jrcsalter" (England) - See all my reviews
Okay, so this book looked interesting, so I decided to give it a try. It basically has a similar start to many Sci-Fi stories like Buck Rogers, or Farscape, in which a modern day character is thrust unwillingly into a sci-fi setting. What I like about it is that much of these events are viewed from the point of view of the aliens. This feels quite fresh as we read about this mysterious 'alien'.

Another thing that's interesting is the concept that humans are superior to the aliens in most ways. It's almost a reverse Superman (though Adam is no way near as powerful).

There are some well done comedic moments, like when the aliens' translator translates planet Earth to planet Dirt, as well as a few colourful insults that the aliens struggle to work out.

One of the best parts of the book though is something that's not fully realised, but I hope will be fleshed out in future books is the relationship between Adam and Riyad. Being political enemies on Earth, they are now thrust into this unfamiliar environment and both are trying to get home, though for different reasons. It's a 'put your differences aside' kind of thing, and Harris does a good job of writing from both POVs and doesn't fall into the trap of Riyad being 'evil' just because America went to war against his country.

There are a few things I didn't like however. While the world is detailed and has a large background, we have far too many info dumps of stuff we don't really need to know, like the inner workings of ships, or some of the histories. Also, with the over enthusiastic blurb, and the repetition of the Vitruvian Man for each chapter heading, I feel Harris is trying too hard. The writing itself could do with a bit of work, but I've certainly read worse, and bad writing can only detract from a story if you are unable to know what's going on, so here, he succeeds.

All in all, a decent book. I've bought the rest in the series, and am looking forward to reading them all.

3.0 out of 5 stars None, 14 Sep 2012
this book was pretty daft overall. some pretty basic writing and concepts, but had a decent enough idea for the theme. i'm buying the next book, though i think i may regret it.
one last note, the phrase is "couldn't care less", not "could care less". it's these little things which annoy me as a reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sci-Fi Yarn, 26 July 2012
I came across this by book by accident and took a chance. It's a brilliant sci-fi yarn, I really enjoyed Fringe Worlds and the good news is that the next two instalments are even better. The pace is fast moving and easy to read. Love the characters too, especially Riyad the ex-Taliban space pirate! I seriously can't wait cant until the 4th book in the series is released. Highly recommended and well worth the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars great find!, 25 Jun 2012
Curtis Lyon "curtlyon19" (Carson City, NV United States) - See all my reviews
this, being the first of (3 so far, more to come) is a great find and great fun! I love the characters, especially Adam as the 'abducted by aliens' and his rescue into a completely different set of worlds where he is superior in many ways. This is a really interesting author and I don't believe I could be a bigger fan. His story, ideas, characters, settings are just great. I, personally, found this very entertaining (again, fun) ....... he then, thankfully, has written two more and is working on a 4th book in this series.
Well worth every penny. I was given some old A E Van Vogt and Fredick Pohl and several old sci fi books recently and Mr. Harris ranks right up there with them in his story telling. I bought this in the kindle deals on a whim and is already one of my favorite writers. I would pay more........

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Space Opera, 13 April 2013
Another excellent series of military style space operas that kept me fully engrossed in the story for all of the 5 books in this series.
Great escapist fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love spaceopera, 12 April 2013
Good fun and Alien bashing at its height. A romp and cheap to boot. Got the series and it filled in a holiday for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really worth it!, 19 Jan 2013
The storyline was weak, the characters flat and the action drawn out over several pages when just 2 would have done.

3.0 out of 5 stars A very good read for people like myself that are new to ..., 22 Aug 2014
I am not the biggest fan of space si fi, but this book is slowly changing my mind on that topic!
A very good read for people like myself that are new to this genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 21 Aug 2014