5.0 out of 5 stars great remote and gadget!
this is a super remote - i had the original version of the smartcontrol and this is a fantastic upgrate. The motion control works really - a smart little gadget - if you want to fast forward you simply just swipe your hand to the right! very cool.

Published on 28 Nov 2011 by Nic

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor battery life, crippled functionality. Avoid.
I have the One For All URC7960. I like it a lot, I use it daily. It replaced a gaggle of remotes with ease, and although it isn't perfect functions very well. This new model, on the other hand, does not. In fact I'd venture to say it's a complete mess and the usually reliable One For All have made a massive blunder.

* The lauded SmartMotion feature is next...
Published on 14 April 2012 by Zeke Pliskin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor battery life, crippled functionality. Avoid., 14 April 2012
Zeke Pliskin (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One For All URC7962 Smartcontrol Motion Remote (Accessory)

* The lauded SmartMotion feature is next to useless. It's very inconsistent and often does something when you don't want it to, for example when picking up the remote, or does nothing when you want it to do something. Furthermore the motions are preset to specific device functions - forget about assigning a long macro string to an upwards flick of the wrist, for example. It'll be nothing more than a Play/Channel Up control on most devices. Best to turn it off and not have it muting devices at random.

* It's slower to program. Whereas before when you entered in a 99x code to set up some or other remote control function you'd get a couple of quick flashes, now you get long and slow flashes of the entire backlight. When you have dozens of customisations to make, it quickly becomes a chore.

* EFCs don't work correctly or consistently any more. EFCs (short for Extended Function Codes) allow you to manually program in functions present on original remotes that are not on universal remotes by default. For example, if I use 00002 on the AMP setting for my Sony HiFi, whatever button I assign that code to will toggle the sleep function - nice and simple. Or at least, it was on the URC7960. On this one it doesn't do squat. Some EFCs I used on the URC7960 work fine but most do not. This is unacceptable because if you're unable to control the devices properly, why even have a universal remote?

* The backlight is a joke. I have no idea why, but partway through attempting and failing to program the remote, the backlight decided to toggle itself on and off when the MAGIC key was pressed when it hadn't done this before. Worse still, even when it does work the it's so hard on the batteries it's ludicrous. My URC7960 has had the same 4 x AAA batteries in it for four months and is still going strong after lots of programming and use. The URC7962 chomped through two brand new sets (8 x AAA) in less than a day - and I hadn't finished programming it! I refuse to put yet another set in just so it can waste those as well. And we're talking regular batteries here - I'll bet if you used rechargeables the remote wouldn't work at all.

* Behaviour of the SmartControl buttons has changed. I think on the URC7960 the designers made a mistake, but as it turns out it was a beneficial mistake. That was, if you assigned a macro to a SmartControl key, you could use the SmartControl key itself at the end of the macro in order to have it set off a chain of button presses, finishing by putting the remote into that SmartControl mode. It sounds complicated but is actually quite logical in terms of usability. On the URC7962, if you try the same thing what happens is the remote cannot enter the SmartControl mode at the end of the macro. It can never go into that mode until you wipe the macro, making the SmartControl ironically quite stupid.

* Speaking of macros, the "any key you use as a macro is lost in every other mode" problem from the URC7960 is still here. Nice to see they've introduced some crippling bugs with their new model, while not fixing the previous minor ones.

In conclusion, this is a terrible universal remote, just about as offensive as those pound shop models that are made in some Korean sweatshop by unfortunate, underpaid sweatshop workers. It's really buggy, it eats batteries and just doesn't work correctly. The new features are pointless and the good old features have been ruined in one way or another.

If you need a good universal remote, go for the slightly older One For All URC7960 - it is a much better remote when you learn how to use it, and actually works properly. This new URC7962 is so bad, even though I got it for a bargain price I'm going to return it and get another URC7960 instead, as a spare before One For All stop making them.

If a representative from One For All is reading this, assuming my URC7962 is typical (i.e. not just a rare faulty one) you should issue a product recall immediately. It really is that bad - even the Logitech Harmony 300i I didn't get on with is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars great remote and gadget!, 28 Nov 2011
This review is from: One For All URC7962 Smartcontrol Motion Remote (Accessory)

the remote itself is very easy to use and there is a video on the One For All sight to show how to optimise motion movement etc.

i would give a 5 star recommendation on this remote

3.0 out of 5 stars good remote., 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: One For All URC7962 Smartcontrol Motion Remote (Accessory)
very nice remote a bit glossy though. does all you want it too with generous buttons for all original remote actions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works like Magic, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: One For All URC7962 Smartcontrol Motion Remote (Accessory)
Let's start by saying I don't understand what a lot of people say about it being hard to program. It's so easy. If you have one of the top brands device you literally press on three buttons to set it up. Press the magic button, select the device and press the number key corresponding to your brand. That's it. You are done. If any of the functions are missing you can use the learning ability. Press the magic key, press 975, select your device, point the front of both remotes to each other, press the key you want to set the function to on your Smartcontrol and then the key you want to copy the function from on your original remote. Press the magic button again and you are done. The best thing is if even you are using let's say your STB you can still attribute a function from your TV ( like choosing your source) to any key on the STB set. Amazing. If you use an AV (amp) like me, you can set it up so that every time you press the volume buttons you alway turn the sound up or down on the AV no matter if you are watching TV, a Bluray, or your HTPC. That's another thing, the Smartcontrol controlled my XBMC powered HTPC out of the box ( after setting the XBOX code for MEDIA, of course). One of the best functions of this remote is the macro function. I can turn on my TV, HTPC and AV with one press of the Watch Movie button. When I press my Watch TV button it will turn on my TV, STB and AV.
Now for the bad things, there aren't many. I wish I could set the macro for Watch TV or Movie so it would automatically set the correct HDMI input source. I couldn't do that. The ergonomics of the remote aren't the best. I'm 6'4'' and the remote it's still kind of big even for my hand. The placement of the buttons is far from ideal in some situations meaning you have to use both hands to slide from the upper to lower buttons. The building quality is good but but far from excellent. One of the volume buttons won't raise back without assistance after it has been pressed and one of the edges of my back button it's sharp at the point of being a nuisance. The motion function is a gimmick, that's it. It doesn't work very well. But this remote was much cheaper than the other URC7962 without motion control. I bought mine for about 25€ after postage and taxes. The best part is you can turn motion control off. Hold the magic key until all lights blink and then press ok. No more stupid motion control.
Overall an amazing remote I would recommend it to any of my friends. At a fraction of the price of a Logitech or Philips remote it's an amzing buy. Fix the ergonomics, the building quality and make an RF capable version available and you would have a perfect 5 star remote.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Bling-less Controller!, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: One For All URC7962 Smartcontrol Motion Remote (Accessory)
I purchased this when my One For All URC8305 Kameleon gave up on life after 4 years service. The price of only 12.99, at the time, made it a no-brainer! Set up is easy as always, with most codes available. However once again One For All do not recognise Sony Blu-Ray players. Very annoying! It also could not find my Sharp soundbar, although this is an easy fix with the learning function. Other niggles that l don't like. First thing is the backlight. It times out too quickly. As soon as you press the first button the backlight turns off. So if you are trying to type in a 3 digit number to change your Sky/Cable channel in the dark. As soon as the first button is pressed, it turns off and the rest you have to do by judgement. The second thing is it changes the device selected without you requesting it. For example, l have highlighted my Sky reciever, changed channel, put down the remote, and then on picking it up to change channel again, the remote has changed the selected device to TV and l end up changing the channel on that instead. This is really annoying as Sky runs through one of the AV channels on my TV and l now have to scroll through all 7 of them to get back to the one that Sky runs through. I never had that problem with the Kameleon.

Overall it is a good remote, although it looks far less impressive than the Kameleon. People who visted were ofen impressed by the Kameleon as it looks futuristic and expensive. This one however looks just like any other remote control. For the price l paid, l am happy. I would have been more disappointed had l paid some of the prices l've seen it on sale for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest review no bull !, 16 April 2013
nah33d "Sombrero" (la huaracha Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One For All URC7962 Smartcontrol Motion Remote (Accessory)
i have bought this today and i have to say its pretty good backlit buttons really handy also i dont have 6 remotes on my table anymore it controls

my lg tv
my lg home theate
my samsung tivo
my skybox f5
my IR enable hdmi splitter
and my apple tv
not bad for 30 eh !
the learning function is so easy to do only gripe is i wish it had seperate buttons for tv dvd stb media amp mp3 as you have to press select to scroll through to the thing you want to control instead of pressing 1 button

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for money, 7 July 2014
This review is from: One For All URC7962 Smartcontrol Motion Remote (Accessory)
This really is a good piece of kit. Shame about the device selection method (rocker switch rather than buttons but I have been able to replicate all essential buttons on multiple remotes and use easily. Excellent build quality and at Amazon price great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 13 May 2014
This review is from: One For All URC7962 Smartcontrol Motion Remote (Accessory)
Amazing, easy to set up, can customise buttons / macros and works like a dream. Compatible with everything we own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent flexible remote., 12 May 2014
This review is from: One For All URC7962 Smartcontrol Motion Remote (Accessory)
I bought a Panasonic dvd player without a remote and also the remote on my Samsung tv was slow at the best of times so i thought instead of paying for a new Panasonic remote i would try a universal one to solve both problems at less cost.The really cheap universals appear very poor but this looked a good mid range one at a sale price.

This remote does a really good job with a few reservations,.you will probably find using the codes provided that it will get the remote to work most of your devices buttons,i found on my Sky box and Samsung tv it did around 90% of the buttons but on my dvd player quite a few less as this has many more buttons and options.This will no doubt vary for each make and model and could work some models 100%.

This is not really a issue if you have a working remote as its simple to copy any button from your original remote onto the OneForAll using the magic key which is a great feature.

As i didnt have a dvd remote i couldn't do this,,fortunately you can email the company and they will get back to you with extra codes you can add for individual buttons that are not working.They said 5 days but it took 2 weeks for a reply but maybe i was unlucky,i did get a full list of codes for every button on my dvd though which was excellent.

Regarding the motion function i found it just a gimmick but its easy too turn off, Im still using the same rechargeable battery s after a month and that includes lots of setting up which will drain them much quicker than normal use so battery life seems fine.

In summery im very pleased with this buy and i suggest whichever universal remote you choose make sure it has a learning function as i found this vital.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good single replacement for many remotes, 30 April 2014
This review is from: One For All URC7962 Smartcontrol Motion Remote (Accessory)
I have been very pleased with this remote.

It will control up to six devices and your can have more than one set top box (I have both a Freesat and sky + box).

It has a learn function so you can program any key to be any function from any original remote

Although it claims to have have all brands I could not get it to work for my Asda surround sound system. To be fair I got bored searching for it and used the learn function to build my own.

It has macro functions so with a single press of a button it will turn on the required devices and set the HDMI input to the correct box (from a 3 to 1 switch box rather than the tv's input. The TV is too slow starting up to be ready for the remote signal to change input).

Although it has a smart function that will give you useful keys from, say, the tv, amp, and freesat box I found it much better to customise it myself using the learn functions.

I haven't done anything regards the motion control. I don't really have a lot of evidence that it works particularly well, but probably requires practice. I bought it, however, because it was cheaper than the older model without motion control.

My only gripe (which is why it is only 4*) is that it doesn't have enough spare buttons for you to program, e.g. for things like 3D or other macros that you might want to program.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›