Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 21 June 2012
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
(I hate putting spoilers in a review and I avoid doing so at all costs but I don't know how else to write this; but I'll try to minimise the damage as much as possible.)

This is a lovely film that had me laughing and crying throughout. I thought the actor who played Adam was very credible and convincing and did an excellent job of portraying his changing array of emotions. It was this sensitive depiction of his emotions that made the film so convincing and real. He also seemed so absolutely helpless and hopeless yet he still possessed huge strength when dealing with his girlfriend and his bleak future.
I also loved the way the film handled the emotions of those around him. At first I was angered at everyone's selfishness about his cancer and how they made a lot of how it was affecting them but then I realised that was what made the film special and that was its real theme. I loved when he found Kyle's book and knew undoubtedly that beneath the selfishness and bravado, Kyle was coping as best as he could. It also showed me that his family/friends didn't know how to cope and it showed their pain and awkwardness about his cancer. I loved the way the film dealt with his operation and the Pearl Jam background music made it all the more poignant.
This was a very moving and touching film that dealt with an awful subject in a very real and different way. I thoroughly enjoyed this and the humour lifted the intensity. Not a light bit of entertainment but very well done.
on 3 February 2015
Adam is a 27 year old writer of radio programs and is diagnosed with a rare form of spinal cancer.

With the help of his best friend, his mother, and a young therapist at the cancer centre, Adam learns what and who the most important things in his life are.....

Turning one of the most heaviest subject matters, Death, and coming to terms with loss, into one of the most beautiful, touching, and funny movies of the year, is an amazing feat.

It's not been a secret that for a few years now Levitt is one of the most brilliant actors in Hollywood today, and this furthers the proof. And while he is the 'strong' one in the movie, there are scenes that show him vulnerable and at his most weakest, that really get choking back the tears.

But there are also big laughs in this too, and sometimes those big laughs come as a sigh of relief, and of course they come courtesy of Rogen, who hasn't been this good in a very long time. The chemistry between the two leads is so strong, that you really believe that they have been friends for a long time.

The majority of the film is predictable, as is expected, but when a film has this much magnitude and impact, it doesn't really matter. There are the very sad parts, for example the character played by Matt Frewer is a small role, but leaves an effect on the whole picture, turning it into a more sombre affair there on in.

But despite its heavy subject matter and sombre feelings, there are some amazing punch in the air moments, the moments when certain characters get their dues and you think to your self 'thats exactly what I would have done'.

Extremely sad in places and hilariously funny on others, 50/50 ironically keeps a steady balance on the two and in turn makes this one of the best films of the year.

You really have to see this.
VINE VOICEon 24 February 2012
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A drama about a 27 year old man getting a rare form of cancer that is also a (sort of rom-)-com.

Let me be honest, I got this as what's known as a check-disc review copy. I didn't know much about it other than that it starred Joseph Gordon-Levitt who has a good track record and is one of Hollywood's most interesting and talented young actors. It also has a terrific supporting cast including Bryce Dallas Howard (as his girlfriend), Anjelica Houston (his mother), Matt Frewer and Philip Baker Hall (two cancer patients he becomes friends with), Seth 'Annoying' Rogen (his best buddy) and Anna Kendrick about whom I know nothing but she's great (as his therapist).

So you wouldn't expect to see a cast like this in a turkey. And, as my rating suggests, it's far from that. There is a deft blend of humour, pathos, and tragedy which is helped by the skills of the talented cast, Seth 'Overrated & Annoying' Rogen excepted. Gordon-Levitt as always is excellent as he tries to adapt to the shocking turn in his life and often fails. My appreciation was aided by the extras where I learned that the writer of the film (who is close friends with the producer and Rogen -also a co-producer here) based it on his own experiences. So it manages to be a film that is both personal and with universal appeal.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest showing it to someone suffering from cancer but I suspect that may be my personal response and that it will engender many different responses among its audience. That in itself is another reason to recommend this movie. Give it a try.
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
50/50 is a film that is inspired by a true story. The star of the film is Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Adam) and his friend is Seth Rogen (Kyle). The basis for the film centres around Levitt being diagnosed with cancer and then the struggles of the people around him to cope with the situation. Levitt puts in a fantastic performance as the lead and Rogen compliments it perfectly as he is not too involved in screen time.

The film itself is very well written and actually surprised me in many respects. With the widespread divided opinion I was unsure of how I would feel about this film. I wondered if it would be too disrespectful about a disease which so many people struggle and lose loved ones to, but it does not do this at all. It is quite a moving story and the fact that it is inspired by a true story seems to make it hit home that little bit more.

The supporting cast in this film perform admirably and add depth to the story without taking too much away from Levitt. With Seth Rogen being involved, I believed this film would be a comedy through and through but that was not the case. It has light hearted moments where you can find yourself laughing but it is a greater story than just a chuckle.

Going into this film with no expectations I was spectacularly surprised and really enjoyed watching it. I would suggest that if the stigma of the illness and bad taste are putting you off watching the movie, rethink it and give it a chance, its a decent watch.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 March 2012
50/50 is about a man, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who discovers he has cancer and only has a 50/50 chance of surviving.

The fact that his best friend, played by Seth Rogen, takes a prevalent place at his side on all advertising, might make people think that this is a comedy. It isn't. Sure, it has its lighter moments, but, ultimately, it's a drama. And it's quite a good one too.

Cancer is affecting more and more people and the more the media can do to raise awareness is a good thing (my humble opinion). I watched Weeds (granted a comedy through and through) and a character got cancer in that and was basically better a few episodes later.

50/50 tries to show, as best a light-hearted film can, about how cancer can affect relationships. It's not totally dark and nasty, as many cancer sufferers can sadly relate to. It tries to appeal to a wider audience.

If you want something a bit serious, I'd recommend this (only the TV series Breaking Bad has dealt with cancer better in my opinion).
on 12 April 2012
I loved this film, there are not many films that manage to make such a serious topic funny without lessening the emotional impact. This film made me both laugh and cry thanks to some fantastic writing and a wonderful cast. This is the sort of film that will be enjoyed across both gender and generational divides. (Although I think the humour may occasionally be a little crude for (for example) my Grandmother, you can probably judge the tone from the credits).

As far as the extras go, there are some great deleted scenes (sadly few in number) and a hilarious audio commentary, which actually rarely involves discussing the film. I bought the film on blu-ray double play but to be honest I'm not convinced this is a film that really needs it. All the extras are listed as available on the DVD edition and the filming and effects are understated (which works perfectly with the tone of the film) so I'm not convinced the HD adds much to it. Hmmm an excuse to watch again so I can judge by watching on the DVD :-).
on 31 May 2012
I'm going to get this out of the way first and foremost; does Rogen do anything other than the socially-awkward, pot-smoking slacker gig? Thankfully in 50/50 he's largely inconspicuous with Gordon-Levitt carrying (and making) this gentle comedy about one man's fight against cancer, and socially inept friends...

50/50 ain't going to win any awards nor will it tax your grey-matter to any great degree. Nonetheless, it is a nicely mawkish and heart-warming film; and it will have you biting your lip on occasions (damn you, I will not cry at anything with Seth Rogen in it). If it isn't enough for our man to be battling a disease with dubious odds of survival he's got a bevvy of strained & strange relationships to deal with in the form of family, friend and other half.

There isn't much more to be said for it really; suffice it to say, if you're looking for a night in with no surprises, humour, humanity, and thankfully less-than-saccharine plot then 50/50 fits the bill nicely.
on 5 January 2013
It could be called crass and insensitive but 50/50 is about as accurate a depiction of a 20-something getting cancer without being over-sentimental and manipulative. Based on the real life experiences of Will Reiser, a cancer survivor helped through it by Seth Rogen. It's no surprise then that Rogen is on the best form of his life as Kyle, playing a character that is loud and obnoxious but shows a clear love for his best friend. Joseph Gordon Levitt plays Adam, the sufferer of cancer and seeing his character fail to cope with the disease and his support network had me emotionally wrecked. Maybe it's because I saw a lot of myself in Adam as a fellow 20-something who works in radio that elevated this film so high. But, there can be nothing more said about 50/50 than it balances the divide between sadness and comedy with consummate ease. It joins a small and illustrious list of greats that can bring joy and great sadness without being gaudy, mawkish or sentimental.
VINE VOICEon 24 February 2012
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
50/50 is a great film that masterfully mixes some genuine laughs together with some truly touching moments. As other reviews have stated, this film is about a young man's struggle with cancer.

What makes this film stand out for me personally was not the comedic elements, but the poignant heartfelt moments, such as when he tells his mother. It was these scenes that I truly appreciated, and it was done well as I was very much able to empathise. Gordon Levitt should also be commended for putting in a wonderful performance.

At times however, I felt the pace was a bit slow and Seth Rogen's character could have been better portrayed by a less stereotypical actor.

In summary however, if you want a great drama, with the occasional laugh, I highly recommend this film.
on 26 February 2015
For some reason I thought this film was something totally different when I picked it up and bought it, but I’m still so glad I did.

The idea of the movie is as follows. Adam is just a normal every day guy when he goes to the doctors to see if they can help solve his back problems he’s been feeling. To his surprise his doctor tells him he has a rare form of spinal cancer. His best friend, mother and the therapist he starts seeing help him through the sudden change in his life. Throughout the movie Adam learns what he really needs in life, and what isn’t so important.

There are also some other great actors/actresses here that I don’t just because of the added bonus of their appearance ^^ Anna Kendrick is starred as Adam’s therapist, and she’s another actress I am a BIG fan of. There is also Seth Rogen who I didn’t know as an actor before this. What I liked about this film so much was that it told the cancer story in another way. You get films to letters to God where all your mates end up crying, and books like The Fault in Our Stars, but then this films brings cancer into the life of an average party life adult guy. I had never seen that angle of it and how he and the people around him dealt with it. I thought it was really realistic and it was also super sad, but then meaningful :’) I loved it. It wasn't all sad though, there was some light moments in it too.

I think the best thing about this film was that even though the main character was diagnosed, he still wanted to live his everyday life and be as active as he used to be. He didn't want his illness to dominate his life, and the more it seeped in the more he struggled to cope.

The film was directed by Jonathan Levine who also directed Warm Bodies (a movie I have yet to see). The film itself is rated a 12, and it runs for about 96 minutes. I loved this film so much, I would probably give it five stars :D