4.0 out of 5 stars 50/50
50/50 is a great film that masterfully mixes some genuine laughs together with some truly touching moments. As other reviews have stated, this film is about a young man's struggle with cancer.

Published on 24 Feb. 2012 by JoshuaAJB

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it is
Published on 20 Mar. 2012 by Bathory0303

4.0 out of 5 stars 50/50, 24 Feb. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

What makes this film stand out for me personally was not the comedic elements, but the poignant heartfelt moments, such as when he tells his mother. It was these scenes that I truly appreciated, and it was done well as I was very much able to empathise. Gordon Levitt should also be commended for putting in a wonderful performance.

At times however, I felt the pace was a bit slow and Seth Rogen's character could have been better portrayed by a less stereotypical actor.

In summary however, if you want a great drama, with the occasional laugh, I highly recommend this film.

4.0 out of 5 stars had me in tears (SPOILERS), 21 Jun. 2012
love reading "marsy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
(I hate putting spoilers in a review and I avoid doing so at all costs but I don't know how else to write this; but I'll try to minimise the damage as much as possible.)

This is a lovely film that had me laughing and crying throughout. I thought the actor who played Adam was very credible and convincing and did an excellent job of portraying his changing array of emotions. It was this sensitive depiction of his emotions that made the film so convincing and real. He also seemed so absolutely helpless and hopeless yet he still possessed huge strength when dealing with his girlfriend and his bleak future.
I also loved the way the film handled the emotions of those around him. At first I was angered at everyone's selfishness about his cancer and how they made a lot of how it was affecting them but then I realised that was what made the film special and that was its real theme. I loved when he found Kyle's book and knew undoubtedly that beneath the selfishness and bravado, Kyle was coping as best as he could. It also showed me that his family/friends didn't know how to cope and it showed their pain and awkwardness about his cancer. I loved the way the film dealt with his operation and the Pearl Jam background music made it all the more poignant.
This was a very moving and touching film that dealt with an awful subject in a very real and different way. I thoroughly enjoyed this and the humour lifted the intensity. Not a light bit of entertainment but very well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oppression is in the Bathroom, 23 Aug. 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 50/50 (2011) [DVD] (DVD)
Joseph Gordon-Levitt who has played very colorful quirky characters, now plays a rather dull Adam, a man who plays by the rules and still gets cancer at an early age because he has bad genes. Seth Rogen is his uncouth best friend who is far more likeable. The non-conformist in me was glad Adam got cancer as opposed to Kyle. The humor is low impact. It wasn't LOL funny. For instance Katherine (Anna Kendrick) is Adam's stress counselor. She is 24 and just a delight, thank you Anna. Adam makes a remark about Doogie Howser. She doesn't know who he is and asks, "Does he work here?" We discover that the more syllables a cancer name has, the worse it is.

His GF Rachael (Bryce Dallas Howard) becomes less supportive as Adam is not her only interest. Like "Man in the Moon" (for those who like funny movies about cancer) the film gets sadder as it progresses. As a cancer patient you get to make friends with other cancer patients, bond with them, and go to their funeral.

Anjelica Huston did an excellent job as Adam's mother for the short time she was on the screen. The acting was good. The script was up and down. Joseph Gordon-Levitt starts out as the weakest person in the film. It wasn't until he told Rachael to get off his porch does his character pick up and we start to develop respect for him. He is able to take us through a cornucopia of emotions from euphoria to despair. The film starts out as a 3 star comedy, but ends as a 5 star drama.

F-bomb, sex talk, sex, brief shadowy nudity.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it is, 20 Mar. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This isn't the sort of movie I'd normally watch and the subject matter is bound to be something that a lot of people have an issue with as regards this being touted, at least in part, as a comedy. But despite all this I found it very watchable, if not great. The performances were very good, I only really knew Seth Rogen before this and got pretty much what I expected from him, but the lead was very natural in what was probably quite a demanding role, although he didn't appear to be as emotional throughout as I might have expected, but since it's stated that this is based on a true story I'm assuming this was fully intended.

As long as this reaches its target audience; those looking for a touching drama with comedy elements rather than an out and out comedy, I'm sure it'll be highly appreciated.

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't smoke, I don't drink..........I recycle....., 3 Feb. 2015
This review is from: 50/50 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Adam is a 27 year old writer of radio programs and is diagnosed with a rare form of spinal cancer.

With the help of his best friend, his mother, and a young therapist at the cancer centre, Adam learns what and who the most important things in his life are.....

Turning one of the most heaviest subject matters, Death, and coming to terms with loss, into one of the most beautiful, touching, and funny movies of the year, is an amazing feat.

It's not been a secret that for a few years now Levitt is one of the most brilliant actors in Hollywood today, and this furthers the proof. And while he is the 'strong' one in the movie, there are scenes that show him vulnerable and at his most weakest, that really get choking back the tears.

But there are also big laughs in this too, and sometimes those big laughs come as a sigh of relief, and of course they come courtesy of Rogen, who hasn't been this good in a very long time. The chemistry between the two leads is so strong, that you really believe that they have been friends for a long time.

The majority of the film is predictable, as is expected, but when a film has this much magnitude and impact, it doesn't really matter. There are the very sad parts, for example the character played by Matt Frewer is a small role, but leaves an effect on the whole picture, turning it into a more sombre affair there on in.

But despite its heavy subject matter and sombre feelings, there are some amazing punch in the air moments, the moments when certain characters get their dues and you think to your self 'thats exactly what I would have done'.

Extremely sad in places and hilariously funny on others, 50/50 ironically keeps a steady balance on the two and in turn makes this one of the best films of the year.

You really have to see this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Titled 50/50, but 100% Great!, 26 Feb. 2015
This review is from: 50/50 (2011) [DVD] (DVD)
For some reason I thought this film was something totally different when I picked it up and bought it, but I’m still so glad I did.

The idea of the movie is as follows. Adam is just a normal every day guy when he goes to the doctors to see if they can help solve his back problems he’s been feeling. To his surprise his doctor tells him he has a rare form of spinal cancer. His best friend, mother and the therapist he starts seeing help him through the sudden change in his life. Throughout the movie Adam learns what he really needs in life, and what isn’t so important.

There are also some other great actors/actresses here that I don’t just because of the added bonus of their appearance ^^ Anna Kendrick is starred as Adam’s therapist, and she’s another actress I am a BIG fan of. There is also Seth Rogen who I didn’t know as an actor before this. What I liked about this film so much was that it told the cancer story in another way. You get films to letters to God where all your mates end up crying, and books like The Fault in Our Stars, but then this films brings cancer into the life of an average party life adult guy. I had never seen that angle of it and how he and the people around him dealt with it. I thought it was really realistic and it was also super sad, but then meaningful :’) I loved it. It wasn't all sad though, there was some light moments in it too.

I think the best thing about this film was that even though the main character was diagnosed, he still wanted to live his everyday life and be as active as he used to be. He didn't want his illness to dominate his life, and the more it seeped in the more he struggled to cope.

The film was directed by Jonathan Levine who also directed Warm Bodies (a movie I have yet to see). The film itself is rated a 12, and it runs for about 96 minutes. I loved this film so much, I would probably give it five stars :D

5.0 out of 5 stars This cool comedy about a 27 year old man diagnosed with ..., 19 Jan. 2015
Derek Vernon-morris (Greater Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50/50 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This cool comedy about a 27 year old man diagnosed with a rare spinal cancer, manages to be very informative about Chemotherapy and related aspects, as well providing humour. Joseph Gordon Levitt presents committed characterisation as usual, as the guy with a fifty/fifty chance of survival, and Seth Rogan is great playing his contrasting best friend, who uses any opportunity as a chat up line. Outspoken and blustering he non the less is committed to helping his friend through the pain and onto recovery.
The nervous and charming young Therapist played by Anna Kendrick is still studying for her Doctorate and cannot help breaching the Patient-Doctor gap, to become Adam's (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) girl friend after his successful operation.
Adding to this comedy with serious undertones, Bryce Dallas Howard plays the Father with Dementia who thinks that he is having an affair with his own wife, Adam's Mother, played by Angelica Huston.

4.0 out of 5 stars 50/50, 3 Jun. 2013
This review is from: 50/50 (2011) [DVD] (DVD)
50/50 is a well made film with a genuine heartfelt story. I really got into the character playing the cancer sufferer Joseph Gordon-Levett. He plays the part brilliantly as a guy who doesn't want any sympathy, he just wants to move on.
The support cast are also great and give the story a good mix of happy, sad and angry emotions.
I enjoyed this movie and recommend this for anyone who likes a bit of humour with some mixed emotions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Feel good comedy., 5 May 2013
This review is from: 50/50 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is a good little feel good comedy film about illness and friends. Great watch if your in need of a comedy feel good film.

7/10

4.0 out of 5 stars would recommend, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: 50/50 (2011) [DVD] (DVD)
although the film has a serious storyline, any film with seth rogen in is amazing! I loved the humour, despite the seriousness of the story.

50/50 (2011) [DVD]
50/50 (2011) [DVD] by Jonathan Levine (DVD - 2012)